Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:54 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I fail to see how that is a problem unless you are just vying for their money.

Life isn’t all about money.
It can be up to a point, at which point you're comfortable and secure.

I'm sure people in poverty would disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe you should also post all the billions Buffet, the Gates, Zukerberg, etc. have already donated/given away and how much they plan on donating in the future. While these people do have tremendous wealth, if you define wealth as a monetary thing, the also have pledged to give away most of their wealth, which is a good thing!
Charity has never made any meaningful difference. What lifted a billion people out of poverty is capitalism.

Production, creation and invention are meaningful and life changing, while charity, though noble in some cases, is not.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It can be up to a point, at which point you're comfortable and secure.

I'm sure people in poverty would disagree with you.
Don’t be so sure about that. I grew up poor, and life can still be good with little money.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:57 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Charity has never made any meaningful difference. What lifted a billion people out of poverty is capitalism.

Production, creation and invention are meaningful and life changing, while charity, though noble in some cases, is not.
It's not all charity. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation paid my salary and dozens more researches when I worked at Duke University Medical Center for over 3 and a half years, while working on a cure for HIV, and for that I'm truly thankful for the generosity of the Gates!

Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's not all charity. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation paid my salary and dozens more researches when I worked at Duke University Medical Center for over 3 and a half years, while working on a cure for HIV, and for that I'm thankful for the generosity of the Gates!
Which changed and improved the world more, Microsoft or B&M Foundation?

A hint, Microsoft has improved the life of billions of people.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Which changed and improved the world more, Microsoft or B&M Foundation?
Why not both, in different ways? The Gates Foundation still has decades and decades more of funding for research into cures of various diseases and trying to fix various problems throughout the world, both big and small. Imagine they are able to eliminate malaria worldwide, an estimated 300-600 million people suffer from malaria each year, that could be more amazing than anything Microsoft did?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Why not both, in different ways? The Gates Foundation still has decades and decades more of funding for research into cures of various diseases and trying to fix various problems throughout the world, both big and small.
I don’t disagree.

Microsoft has improved the life of billions of people, and the charity may have improved thousands.

Would it be more beneficial for Bill to continue his Microsoft? If he makes 100 billion in the process, he would have more money for his charity.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I don’t disagree.

Microsoft has improved the life of billions of people, and the charity may have improved thousands.

Would it be more beneficial for Bill to continue his Microsoft?
He can continue both, and use the money made from Microsoft to help continue fund the Gates Foundation for infinity, it doesn't have to be an either or thing! I never said Microsoft is bad, far from it, in fact it helped him create and fund his foundation. I'm all for these people to make, amass whatever monetary wealth they have and did, I was just pointing out most have agreed to give a large chunk of their created wealth to fund research and other endeavors to help make the world a better place. I think we are actually on the same page.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Report: 26 People Own as Much as the Poorest 3.8 Billion | Time

Please, tell me how these rich people worked harder than everyone else to get here. Tell me why having unelected elite ruling the global economy while keeping everyone else in poverty is good.

Please, tell me.
It's about working smart. Or more precisely, having others work for you.

If you want income inequality, move to Somalia.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Why not both, in different ways? The Gates Foundation still has decades and decades more of funding for research into cures of various diseases and trying to fix various problems throughout the world, both big and small. Imagine they are able to eliminate malaria worldwide, an estimated 300-600 million people suffer from malaria each year, that could be more amazing than anything Microsoft did?
It still wouldn’t.

Microsoft has improved our life so much it’s beyond our imagination. Think if we all stop using our Microsoft products, how many people would die?

By the way, I am not a fan of Bill Gates at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies