Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I wonder how often right wing racist Steve King introduces himself as Steve Coon?
Martin Luther King Junior.

You start to say King and if you finish too soon and go to Junior you've said "coon".

It's the reason why racists invented it in the first place: rolls off the tongue pretty easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ef4382209.html

Was his slur intentional and does it matter what his intent was.
Fox station! I'm sure they also made a mistake saying Bader Ginsbury was dead.

This is a propaganda "entertainment" channel. The only thing they flubbed when when Bill O said that no one knows why the tide goes in and goes out.

I've said his name a LOT of times. I've also said the word "King" many thousands of times, as I have King Charles dogs. I have NEVER said the word any differently.

C'mon. First hint = Fox
Second Hint = St. Louis

And last hint - only someone whose brain had spoken and heard that 100's of times would be programmed to flub it.

Of course, Fox would hire that type.

I think he flubbed it. He was thinking about how he had been saying it for the last couple weeks in private and accidentally said it on air.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Having spent a some time around TV newsrooms I'll let you in on a little secret. The vast majority of anchors do very little 'shoe leather' reporting. They are, in large part, hired because they project some illusion of gravitas and (and it's a BIG AND) they have some skill reading a TelePrompTer.

That said, if you're unable to meet the minimum job requirement (see: read a TelePrompTer) then perhaps you're in the wrong line of work. Unless the word "Coon" was projected on that one-way prompter mirror, they failed to do the job they are being paid for. Too bad, so sad but there's a never ending supply of J-school grads waiting in line that are perfectly capable of reading a script without uttering racial epithets planned or unplanned.
Kappell didn't use a teleprompter. I don't know about about Steincross and Greenberg.

I'm not arguing that the station didn't have the right to fire him. You aren't going to win an argument with me on the sanctity of property rights so that's not the issue.

I just think it's a shame that people have piled on and this guy's reputation has been tarnished when we have no other evidence of nefarious behavior.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

This is a propaganda "entertainment" channel. The only thing they flubbed when when Bill O said that no one knows why the tide goes in and goes out.

I've said his name a LOT of times. I've also said the word "King" many thousands of times, as I have King Charles dogs. I have NEVER said the word any differently.

C'mon. First hint = Fox
Second Hint = St. Louis

And last hint - only someone whose brain had spoken and heard that 100's of times would be programmed to flub it.

I think he flubbed it. He was thinking about how he had been saying it for the last couple weeks in private and accidentally said it on air.
Give me a break, it's the same crap over at CNN and msnbc, they got a whole slew of dumbass talking heads like don lemon and Rachael Maddox

Don't act like fox is any worse than those two.

Same game, just different sides of the aisle

Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:

C'mon. First hint = Fox
Second Hint = St. Louis

Greenberg worked at ESPN...liberal. He uttered while stationed in Connecticut/NYC...lib central.

Kappell worked at an NBC affiliate...liberal. He uttered it while stationed in Rochester...lib central.

Hey look, I can make insanely irrelevant correlations too!

Old 01-21-2019, 05:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Give me a break, it's the same crap over at CNN and msnbc, they got a whole slew of dumbass talking heads like don lemon and Rachael Maddox

Don't act like fox is any worse than those two.

Same game, just different sides of the aisle
So you think Maddow would have been hanging out the last couple of weeks on her off-time joking about "coon"?

I don't.

There are not two sides to every coin. There is racism and improper speech and there is civility. If you think everyone talks like Trump on the Access Hollywood Tape you are living in a different world than I've been in.

Serious question if any of you are honest enough to answer this. Have any of you either spoken or heard that term or another bad one in reference to MLK in the last week? The boys at the bar? on Gab? Chat?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,738,879 times
Quote:
So you think Maddow would have been hanging out the last couple of weeks on her off-time joking about "coon"?

I don't.

There are not two sides to every coin. There is racism and improper speech and there is civility. If you think everyone talks like Trump on the Access Hollywood Tape you are living in a different world than I've been in.

Serious question if any of you are honest enough to answer this. Have any of you either spoken or heard that term or another bad one in reference to MLK in the last week? The boys at the bar? on Gab? Chat?

What does this sentence mean?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:45 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Kappell didn't use a teleprompter. I don't know about about Steincross and Greenberg.

I'm not arguing that the station didn't have the right to fire him. You aren't going to win an argument with me on the sanctity of property rights so that's not the issue.

I just think it's a shame that people have piled on and this guy's reputation has been tarnished when we have no other evidence of nefarious behavior.
Whether it was a prompter or copy on a page is splitting hairs.

Here's another little secret. Maybe the guy is a tool to be around and the production staff just left him out to hang. I've worked with national talent and local talent and there's a reason the national folks often get and stay there. They build relationships with the entire production crew to the point where the techs, producers and other will walk through the gates of hell to make sure the talent looks good.

I've been on shoots where some blow-dry local with an outsized ego wouldn't lift a roll of gaffers tape to help a crew member. No surprise no one has their back when things get weird...

Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ef4382209.html

So this jerk apologizes for a "Racial Slur" that has been repeated for well over a decade.. Sorry.. But post statement apology doesn't not negate an obvious usual term he likely always used in his every day life!! THUS came out like he always did..thenwhen told said "Whoopsey'!! The comment was what what he thinks/believes.. then workplace questions/// Says Mis-statement.. Yepper

Was his slur intentional and does it matter what his intent was.
Intentional ( of slur) isn't the question really>> It's what he believes that came out because that's what's been fed to him whole lifetime! That's called programming Consequence is, HE GOT FIRED!! by a Corporate Entity! Of course this remedy was Made famous by CIC

Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,461 times
In live tv, it's not just names...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhiQrcFVCo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies