U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM

10,884 posts, read 2,959,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol2490 View Post
Your average conservative white male hated King and still does to this day.
Of course. They were actually shooting and setting houses on fire of black folk just for joining the NAACP and trying to get voting rights.

Same deal today.....the "conservatives" fix up those voting rolls just like before. But it won't last long. They are only a couple percentage points from not being able to fix them ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM

8,012 posts, read 2,136,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, a Bernie Bro repeating something he heard somewhere.

Hey, bernie bro. Why not ask Bernie himself. After all, he marched with Civil Right leaders.

Who do you think all the white people were in the South - registering Black Voters and risking their lives (some were killed)?????

It was liberals....mostly Jewish....from NYC, Philly, Boston and elsewhere.

Voting Rights and Civil Rights Bills.......and fair housing and even the Clean Water and Clean Air Act - LIBERAL JFK, passed on and LBJ got them pushed through. Not Bernie.

Take the Bernie bumper sticker out of your eye and look around. 10's of thousands of people - maybe more - were out in the streets and in offices and schools every day working for these freedoms.

And you boil it down to Bernie or Bust? That's crazy.

This Perot and Nader voter marched in DC against the Vietnam War - Twice. Bernie had nothing to do with it.

Stop slurping up so much Ben and Jerrys and come join the real world where people are not judged by their bumper stickers, but by - as MLK would put it - the strength of their character.

No one is perfect - MLK was far from it himself. But the dream lives on.
What are you talking about. What in God’s name is a Bernie Bro?

Edit: so did ‘progressive’ Theodore Roosevelt help health standards. The point is neither the progressive nor the liberals were interested in MLK’s cause, they passed minimal reforms to keep social stability.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 PM

6,465 posts, read 3,229,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Republicans didnít want him remembered.

Liberals wanted to distort his legacy to their own benefit, which is why they supported MLK day.

Now this holiday is used to unify all races under the banner of capitalism and imperialism, something king strongly opposed.
Lol... what does this word-jumble nonsense even mean? It's like you go out of your way to make no sense.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... what does this word-jumble nonsense even mean? It's like you go out of your way to make no sense.
Facts are facts. What did I say that was wrong?

Did northern Liberals not turn on King, and why does his legacy stop after the I had A Dream speech?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 PM

6,465 posts, read 3,229,950 times
Quote:

Did northern Liberals not turn on King, and why does his legacy stop after the I had A Dream speech?
How about this display of ignorance: "Now this holiday is used to unify all races under the banner of capitalism and imperialism..."

B/c nothing says capitalism and imperialism like being asked to volunteer your time for a cause you care about.

https://www.nationalservice.gov/serv...lk-day-service

Old 01-21-2019, 10:04 PM

18,616 posts, read 17,773,771 times
Quote:

Not that I know of and I was a northern liberal. I still am a northern liberal. As for Viet Nam, we were against the war (not against the veterans and I married a veteran) but when I was in an anti war demonstration I saw MLK in person. He gave a speech for us. Civil rights movement united with anti war movement. I don't remember the year but I saw MLK. I was very saddened when he was killed.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
How about this display of ignorance: "Now this holiday is used to unify all races under the banner of capitalism and imperialism..."

B/c nothing says capitalism and imperialism like being asked to volunteer your time for a cause you care about.

https://www.nationalservice.gov/serv...lk-day-service
Cherrypicking. There are responses that exist across all holidays, volunteer work (think Christmas, Veterans Day, or thanksgiving). Volunteer work which is agnostic to the subject matter.

The political message sent from MLK day is societal and racial unity, which just means unity under the flag, which means unity under the state, which means unity under the elite.

All the things King spoke against.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not that I know of and I was a northern liberal. I still am a northern liberal. As for Viet Nam, we were against the war (not against the veterans and I married a veteran) but when I was in an anti war demonstration I saw MLK in person. He gave a speech for us. Civil rights movement united with anti war movement. I don't remember the year but I saw MLK. I was very saddened when he was killed.
I was not alive at the time. But I remember reading polls from the era that showed his favorability among northern whites dropping until his death, at which point it shot back up.

And the more significant group where the elite liberals in the media and intellectual class that dropped their support.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 PM

13,957 posts, read 21,832,438 times
Quote:
...Liberals hated MLK...
Ha ha!

Hopefully he hates them too.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM

23,260 posts, read 8,801,075 times
Winterfall, you're the only "anarchist" I know who votes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies