U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

9,062 posts, read 6,146,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Republicans are awful.

Iím just sharing facts that after the I had a dream speech, Kingís popularity plummeted amongst northern liberals. That is why his later legacy is not remembered.
Uh no. King's legacy didn't and doesn't depend on Northern liberals, whoever they may be.

The March on Washington and the speech was in August1963.

He got the Peace Price in 1964.

Helped push for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (signed by LBJ).

His book, "Why We Can't Wait" was published in 1964.

Marched on Selma for voting rights in 1965 - soon afterwards, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was signed by LBJ.

Moved into Chicago housing in 1966 to highlight slum conditions in Northern cities

He also opposed the Vietnam War - which lost him a lot of popularity (most notably after his 1967 Riverside Church speech) with allies and others but he stuck to that out of principle.

At the time of his death, he was organizing a strike of sanitation workers in Memphis. After his death the workers were able to get a better labor deal from the city.

And that's just a few things about MLK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

8,020 posts, read 2,136,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh no. King's legacy didn't and doesn't depend on Northern liberals, whoever they may be.

The March on Washington and the speech was in August1963.

He got the Peace Price in 1964.

Helped push for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (signed by LBJ).

His book, "Why We Can't Wait" was published in 1964.

Marched on Selma for voting rights in 1965 - soon afterwards, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was signed by LBJ.

Moved into Chicago housing in 1966 to highlight slum conditions in Northern cities

He also opposed the Vietnam War - which lost him a lot of popularity (most notably after his 1967 Riverside Church speech) with allies and others but he stuck to that out of principle.

At the time of his death, he was organizing a strike of sanitation workers in Memphis. After his death the workers were able to get a better labor deal from the city.

And that's just a few things about MLK.
How does any of this do anything but confirm what I was saying?

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

22,213 posts, read 10,965,230 times
Quote:
What are you talking about. What in Godís name is a Bernie Bro?

The point is neither the progressive nor the liberals were interested in MLKís cause, they passed minimal reforms to keep social stability.
Thats not true, What you mean to say is that the 5 or so elected leaders you learned about in high school didnt care about MLK's cause. It has nothing to do with liberals or progressives.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

22,213 posts, read 10,965,230 times
Quote:
Republicans are awful.

Iím just sharing facts that after the I had a dream speech, Kingís popularity plummeted amongst northern liberals. That is why his later legacy is not remembered.
You are sharing opinions not facts.

And if you are going to make these overstatements about liberals, I could argue that John Lewis marched and bled with MLK jr. and his opinion weighs far more than yours here and he 100% disagrees with you.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

5,560 posts, read 1,593,147 times
I see that you don't offer any links to support your statements, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe it wasn't that "the main-stream liberal press turned on him at the Washington Post and New York Times," but rather that the main-stream press isn't necessarily liberal?

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quote:
How does any of this do anything but confirm what I was saying?
You said his later legacy was not remembered and I've refuted it. Historians would beg to differ with you. So would a "Northern liberal" like Father Michael Pfleger of Chicago, who is pastor of St. Sabina's in Chicago, and a community activist to this day.

Basically your comments are about opinion, not fact.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I see that you don't offer any links to support your statements, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe it wasn't that "the main-stream liberal press turned on him at the Washington Post and New York Times," but rather that the main-stream press isn't necessarily liberal?
https://www.newsweek.com/martin-luth...ack-day-780387

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You said his later legacy was not remembered and I've refuted it. Historians would beg to differ with you. So would a "Northern liberal" like Father Michael Pfleger of Chicago, who is pastor of St. Sabina's in Chicago, and a community activist to this day.

Basically your comments are about opinion, not fact.
Is it talked about in the MS during MLK day?

He is remembered for his work for racial equality, which is political correct. But once you get to his anti-capitalism/anti-imperialism activities, that steps on a few to many toes.

I didn't say no one remembers it, for how else would I know.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are sharing opinions not facts.

And if you are going to make these overstatements about liberals, I could argue that John Lewis marched and bled with MLK jr. and his opinion weighs far more than yours here and he 100% disagrees with you.
No, this is an observable fact.

King was popular among white liberals, and not with southern conservatives.

His popularity after his peak during the civil rights bill signing plummeted after he moved on to other activism among that same liberal base:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/482242002/

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Quote:
He is remembered for his work for racial equality, which is political correct. But once you get to his anti-capitalism/anti-imperialism activities, that steps on a few to many toes.

I didn't say no one remembers it, for how else would I know.
Well, now we actually agree on something here - if you're saying that today MLK is lionized as a civil rights icon and hero today - but during his lifetime, he was reviled by the establishment (and others) because he wanted to shake up the system and force social change - to the point that they had the FBI spy on him. He wasn't going to do things just to be popular.

And sadly you have a lot of public figures today who quote him, but pretty much stand for against much of what King was advocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies