Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Amazing modern racist Trump supporters trying to claim Dr. King. They would be the ones supporting the use of water cannons against protesters. King was hated because he stood up against the 1950s white establishment.
It is a nine day wonder isn't it? They are turning over a new leaf. Next thing you know they will be abandoning their plans to overturn the Voting Rights Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/1...q3866w0qOvSdWk

"When the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech before huge crowds on the National Mall in August 1963, the FBI took notice.

"We must mark him now, if we have not done so before, as the most dangerous Negro of the future in this Nation from the standpoint of communism, the Negro and national security," FBI Domestic Intelligence Chief William Sullivan wrote in a memo two days later."

You mean the same FBI that is going after Trump now? Sometimes they can do evil things for sure.
.Ah, so this is the new right wing spin. As if a good chunk of people who support Trump didn't or wouldn't have agreed with Sullivan.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yeah, today all the dirt and corruption are better hidden.
No it isn't.

It's much more exposed today.

Your side just brushes it off as "fake news" as you tune into hate radio, the National Enquirer and Fox News to get your daily dose of disinformation.

Quote:
I would say its probably 10X worse today than back in the 60s actually!
Not surprising that you'd say that.

Some things are clearly worse today.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No it isn't.

It's much more exposed today.

Your side just brushes it off as "fake news" as you tune into hate radio, the National Enquirer and Fox News to get your daily dose of disinformation.

Not surprising that you'd say that.

Some things are clearly worse today.

And liberals believe Buzzfeed. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I read the link, and as far as I could determine by the article, there was no proof that it was sent by Sullivan. According to the link, [quote] "King and his advisers quickly concluded the letter had been sent by the FBI, Gage writes." [end quote]

Unless there is further proof, I don't think that Dr. King and his advisers KNEW that it came from Sullivan, but that it was only their conclusion or guess.

HOWEVER, if this was actually sent by anyone in the government, I would find that to be absolutely disgusting.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Comey reminded me of Hoover with his ego that used the tools of the FBI to blackmail politicians and try to determine the leadership of the country.
Hoover used blatant and overt corruption to meddle in politics. I don't believe Comey engaged in that. But he did end up with somewhat similar outcomes, especially considering the antics of Strzok and Page.

I'm about 2/3rds thru Comey's book, which I finally got from the library. I will post about it when done. So far, it comes off as one of the most self-serving political bios I've ever read.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Hoover used blatant and overt corruption to meddle in politics. I don't believe Comey engaged in that. But he did end up with somewhat similar outcomes, especially considering the antics of Strzok and Page.

I'm about 2/3rds thru Comey's book, which I finally got from the library. I will post about it when done. So far, it comes off as one of the most self-serving political bios I've ever read.
We know the FBI was used for politics before so I don't trust them. They can be used again and it seems they are.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM

[quote=katharsis;54221178]I read the link, and as far as I could determine by the article, there was no proof that it was sent by Sullivan. According to the link,
Quote:
"King and his advisers quickly concluded the letter had been sent by the FBI, Gage writes." [end quote]

Unless there is further proof, I don't think that Dr. King and his advisers KNEW that it came from Sullivan, but that it was only their conclusion or guess.

HOWEVER, if this was actually sent by anyone in the government, I would find that to be absolutely disgusting.
Haha, I had not clicked OPs link until a saw the name 'Sullivan.' William Sullivan, who was quite high in the FBI under Hoover (I forget his title), was called "Crazy Bill." Once when there was a demonstration planned at the DOJ building, Sullivan suggested getting a greased pig and releasing it into the crowd. His idea was that then they would be able to arrest protesters for cruelty to animals as they tried to catch the pig.
https://books.google.com/books?id=7T...%20pig&f=false

Old 01-22-2019, 03:05 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Can any of you spell the word T R O L L ?
I lived (as many others did) through the times of MLK, and never heard one iota of this tape bs.
If any of it were true, that would have been explosive enough to make world wide headlines, especially if the FBI knew of their existence.

Bob.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM

The FBI sent out a few of these letters to klan & civil rights people alike. Here is one example of a forged letter they sent in an effort to stir up internal dissention in a civil rights org:

https://fee.org/articles/federal-sur...cans-security/
Quote:
Some COINTELPRO operations targeted the spouses of political activists, sending them letters asserting that their mates were unfaithful. “Anonymous letters were sent to, among others, a Klansman’s wife, informing her that her husband had ‘taken the flesh of another unto himself,’ the other person being a woman named Ruby, with her ‘lust filled eyes and smart aleck figure’; and to a ‘Black Nationalist’s’ wife saying that her husband ‘been maken it here’ with other women in his organization ‘and that he gives us this jive bout their better in bed then you.’”
LOL, some agent was paid by taxpayers to write that. Can't make this stuff up. A lot of this was uncovered when someone broke into FBI offices in Pennsylvania, IIRC around 1971, and got away with a bunch of files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies