Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Maybe she doesn't need to continue living...when I get old and frail, I certainly won't burden society with MY existence.
yeah your a real tough guy, with a statement like that you show exactly what you are.

Why should guns be legal? To protect us from people like you.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yay for TK! He's such as tough guy!

So, you gonna teach my frail, 5'1" tall, 64 year old mother how to defend herself without a weapon? I notice that you conveniently ignored that part of my post.
I'd install locks on her doors. If she's old and frail she shouldn't be handling guns. She'll undoubted hurt herself or one of her neighbors.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
She'll undoubted hurt herself or one of her neighbors.
Yes or No: You would be perfectly happy if all personal / private ownership hand guns were banned in the United States.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Survival of the fittest. If you're not fit, you don't survive. That's perfectly reasonable...and "natural". Look to the animal kingdom. Only the strong survive.
"Survival of the fittest" is based on the notion that an animal will do whatever it can to survive. I am an animal, as is any human, and my survival instinct is as strong as anything or anyone else's. Humans have risen to where they are in the animal kingdom primarily because they possess the intelligence to create and use increasingly complex tools. One of the tools I use is a Glock 27. I use that tool to create an advantage against an attacker, or to eliminate my disadvantage in the event that he's got a similar tool, in an unpredictable situation.

If you're completely intent on "surviving" without the use of any of the advantages that come with intelligence, then shut off your computer, sell your house, give away ALL your clothes and go find a nice cave to sleep in. I hope it doesn't get too cold, as you won't be able to use fire to warm your naked self, either.

Now, for the obvious paradox you created with your last two statements. You claimed that you "certainly won't burden society with [your] existence". You also claimed to subscribe to the "survival of the fittest" paradigm. Suicide and survival are mutually exclusive. You can't claim to live by the "survival of the fittest" mantra and then intentionally take your own life.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Survival of the fittest. If you're not fit, you don't survive. That's perfectly reasonable...and "natural". Look to the animal kingdom. Only the strong survive.
Oh come on,now that's being silly.Seriously man

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes or No: You would be perfectly happy if all personal / private ownership hand guns were banned in the United States.
Frankly I don't really care about communities outside of my own. If people in some other town want to shoot the place up, I don't have a dog in the fight. We've decided here that we don't want people waving handguns around shooting up the place.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
Quote:
Frankly I don't really care about communities outside of my own. If people in some other town want to shoot the place up, I don't have a dog in the fight. We've decided here that we don't want people waving handguns around shooting up the place.
Right, it's those law-abiding gun owners who go around pretending it's the wild west. Never criminals who always abide by gun laws...

So if your community has decided to outlaw guns then why are there so many shootings in DC?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
You did not answer my question -

Assuming you are an American Citizen, you do have a "dog in the fight" -

And, there is every reason to believe the prohibition against handguns in the District will soon be reversed.

So, once again, yes or no - You would be perfectly happy if all personal / private ownership hand guns were banned in the United States

Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
If she's old and frail she shouldn't be handling guns. She'll undoubted hurt herself or one of her neighbors.
How could you possibly make that statement? You don't know anything about her other than that she's short, in her mid 60s and frail. You have no clue (cough) about her mental acuity, her motor control or her vision, which is all that matters when you need to pull the trigger on an attacker.

I do find it interesting that you and TK both opted to attack my mother when I brought up the fact that without a weapon, she'd be unable to defend herself against an attacker. This shows me that neither of you have a legitimate argument when it comes to the need for guns to be legal for self defense. As is normal for many who hold your position, you steer the conversation away when a point that invalidates your argument is raised. This tells me that even you know that your argument can't hold up to scrutiny, and that you're basing it on emotion and your own personal opinions, rather than facts.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So if your community has decided to outlaw guns then why are there so many shootings in DC?
The District has one of the highest murder rates, by firearms, in the nation. Go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies