Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
People like who?

I think we should start jailing politicians that legislate in contradiction to the constitution, police that enforce such laws & citizens that DONT own firearms.
Militia service availability is federal law. Its federal law that all adult men between 16 & 45 are in the militia & as such are bound by law to own & have available arms & ammunition suitable for militia service.

If your not willing to provide for the common saftey, you dont deserve to live in a free country.
Sorry, you'd have to KILL me before putting me in prison, because I'll fight to my death NOT to be placed in confinement.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think this is a historical long accepted part of the constitutioin and I don't want to take guns from regular citizens. Besides it would not work unless you want to create a police state because most won't give them up freely.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You should read more carefully. The guards are all under the authority of their respective states, as were the militias. Both the guard and the militia before them could be federalized for periods of time.

Now what's this about the National Guard raiding houses and taking weapons? What about when the little green men come from Mars with their death rays? And what are you going to do when that happens? Form up the Joe Sixpacks of the neighborhood to resist? LOL you must be really young, because you're really naive.
Look it up, it happened during Katrina.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think this is a historical long accepted part of the constitutioin and I don't want to take guns from regular citizens. Besides it would not work unless you want to create a police state because most won't give them up freely.
That's exactly right...I think many people would rather engage in a shoot-out with police than surrender their guns; it is their right to have them.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That's exactly right...I think many people would rather engage in a shoot-out with police than surrender their guns; it is their right to have them.
Well remember most police wouldn't want to be part of confiscation anyway.Some would do it as following orders but given a nation ban I think most wouldn't.Honestly the man power and money needed to do it would be crazy anyway.

The fact is most of the time a lawful citizen and officer are on the same side,hope it always stays that way.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And that means that while CONGRESS cannot make such a law, state or local government COULD...and are NOT so proscribed.
Why, let them try. The Supreme Court will scatter them like leaves.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Through out history there have been governments,leaders and people who thought it was right to get a little dirty to make society cleaner,to dispose of the "undesirables" to make society "better".

To be cruel for a end result of there idea of a "better and peaceful" society.To overlook the law to make things more "lawful".

For those that would have government imprison or execute people for owning a gun who have never broken a law but are now a criminal for a unjust law,for the sake of a amount of bloodshed and violence to bring what they think is a end more peaceful and utopian society are disillusioned.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
In my opinion some guns should be legal. Guns used to hunt, guns used to target practice (some pistols). But to me there is no explination at all for anyone to own anything else it is assinine to me to think that people need anything else and everything else should be illegal. There is no reason to carry a firearm unless you are on your way to hunt are target practice. Otherwise people should leave them home.
The 2nd Amendment isn't about protecting yourself from criminals or hunting... it's about a citizen's right to overthrow a tyrannical government.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
There is no reason to carry a firearm unless you are on your way to hunt are target practice. Otherwise people should leave them home.
Tell that to the rape victim. Or the man whose wife was murdered for her wedding ring and whatever cash she had on her. Or the guy who went into a liquor store to pick up a pack of gum and was shot by the guy who happened to be robbing the store at the time.

I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but here in the real world, there are real threats and real life or death situations, where having a gun can mean the difference between living or dying. I respect your right to choose not to carry a gun - it's your choice to make. What you don't have the right to do is force your choice onto me.

Quote:
I have studied it a lot and have had professors who are "experts" on the subject.
Who? Name them - I'd like to check their credentials. You're claiming that they're "experts" - prove it.

It sounds to me like you've been through the liberal university wringer, and you lapped up the indoctrination they spoon fed you like a kitten lapping up milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Joe Sixpack pulling out his Glock and a cold one isn't any protection I'd want to rely upon. Chances are he can't even point the thing properly.
What a remarkable demonstration of ignorance. I don't think I've seen one like that since before I put Tricky on my ignore list.

I sincerely hope you're never in a situation where "Joe Sixpack" needs to draw his weapon in order to save your life. If you are, though, come back let us know how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Hurricane Katrina was a glimpse of this and that event proves right there that police or soldiers can't always be there to protect you.
Actually, they were the ones going door to door, confiscating guns from people who were on their own property, breaking no laws and were the legal owners of those firearms. As clear a case of civil rights violations as any, yet it got almost no media coverage. (But the mainstream media doesn't have an agenda... noooo.....)

I'm both amused and frustrated by people like Alanw. They have absolutely no idea who they're talking about when they suggest disarming law abiding civilians. I can guarantee - GUARANTEE - that Alanw is walking past and/or driving next to at least one civilian carrying a gun every time he goes to the store, or the movies, or whatever... Maybe even me...

Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sorry, you'd have to KILL me before putting me in prison, because I'll fight to my death NOT to be placed in confinement.
So its fine for YOU to defy the law at will but others arent suposed to live within its bounds if it negates your physcal advantage to let them do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies