Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:06 PM

51,910 posts, read 52,318,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I've got a co-worker that says this exact line sometimes.

Meh, if guns are legal we should be allowed to purchase one and with proper gun laws and procedures being followed.

I personally don't have any guns and I won't get them. The only caveat is if I were to live in a remote place and the police response time isn't acceptable then I might, but whatever, people can do what they like in this regard as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 PM

19,667 posts, read 9,985,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've got a co-worker that says this exact line sometimes.

Meh, if guns are legal we should be allowed to purchase one and with proper gun laws and procedures being followed.

I personally don't have any guns and I won't get them. The only caveat is if I were to live in a remote place and the police response time isn't acceptable then I might, but whatever, people can do what they like in this regard as far as I'm concerned.
My daughter lives a mile from a police station. She had an intruder and response time was over 10 minutes.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 PM

51,910 posts, read 52,318,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My daughter lives a mile from a police station. She had an intruder and response time was over 10 minutes.
Sorry to hear that. I understand the response times can vary.

Did she bust a cap in dat fool?

Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM

13,767 posts, read 5,493,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
On this - I can't even fault the police for that. It could simply be the available, on-shift patrol/intervention officers were simply somewhere else at the time of her call, the closest being 10 minutes away. They are not an unlimited resource, law enforcement. They have scarcity issues same as any other good/service provided by others.

AND THAT IS FINE. It's not a criticism to say "when seconds count, the police will be there in 10-15 minutes." IT'S A STATEMENT OF FACT that does not cast judgment on the facts themselves.

So assuming a normal, proper town/state environment, you can expect help no faster than 10+ minutes. Knowing this, there is a minimum period from t_0 to t_600 (assuming seconds as our unit) where you are straight up, no joke ON YOUR OWN.

Additionally, when the police you are waiting for arrive, what exactly are they bringing to the scenario that represents help/rescue/assistance/salvation? A detailed knowledge of the civil and criminal code? A snappy outfit with decorations and the like? Nope, what they are bringing is a) firearms and b) legal recourse to employ them for your defense. Uhm, the citizen can own firearms and has legal recourse to employ them for defense. So why wait until t_600 minimum before being aided by firearms and the legal recourse to use them for your own defense?

All of my insurance (home, auto, health, dental, etc) together costs me $thousands per year. My Beretta 92FS and Mossberg 590A1 Tactical cost less than $2k for a one time charge. Just one more form of insurance, and cheaper than any other insurance I have. Those two forms of insurance cover my tactical needs from t_0 to t_600.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 PM

1,874 posts, read 810,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't own guns because of fear. I own them, along with every other piece of property I own, because it's a inherent natural right to own property.

My primary reason for owning firearms is for sport, but also the secondary and tertiary reasons of hunting and risk mitigation. All but one of my firearms has only every put hole into paper silhouettes, and the remaining one has also put a proper kill shot on a decent sized white tail buck a few years ago. None have been used for risk mitigation yet, and good Lord willing, never will be. But if the need arises, they're there, ready to go.

No fear involved. None whatsoever. Properly cold, indifferent tactical planning and risk mitigation isn't about fear, it's about creating a proper framework such that nothing need be feared.
the irony that is lost on these people is that you own them NOT to live in fear

Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,840,522 times
I don't want a gun and I don't care if you want one. I'd like for both of us to sit down and figure out what to do with the Dylan Roof's of the world...and the other serial killers.

That's all -- dialogue.

Instead I get -- NOOOOO DO NOT TAKE MY GUN AWAY/.

I know you say some do. Sure --- and some folks who own guns think they are protecting themselves in case there is tyrannical govt.....and somewhere in between that spectrum is all of us folks...just trying to figure it out.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:31 PM

1,874 posts, read 810,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't want a gun and I don't care if you want one. I'd like for both of us to sit down and figure out what to do with the Dylan Roof's of the world...and the other serial killers.

That's all -- dialogue.

Instead I get -- NOOOOO DO NOT TAKE MY GUN AWAY/.

I know you say some do. Sure --- and some folks who own guns think they are protecting themselves in case there is tyrannical govt.....and somewhere in between that spectrum is all of us folks...just trying to figure it out.
You can't root out every bad guy in the world. That is one of the reasons FOR owning a weapon. You stay vigilant. You track people like Roof down and give them the justice they deserve - the death penalty. It's a pretty short conversation.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,840,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
You can't root out every bad guy in the world. That is one of the reasons FOR owning a weapon. You stay vigilant. You track people like Roof down and give them the justice they deserve - the death penalty. It's a pretty short conversation.
Didn't say that, didn't imply that.

But if you are saying -- oh well can't do anything just live with it.

I think that's sad.

And is it justice. I don't think if my mother, sister, friend was killed by a serial killer -- the killer being killed would heal the wound or make me feel there was justice in the world.

And this is why we need dialogue.

Some of you believe there is nothing we can do.
Some believe that maybe we can try some stuff.

Others believe we have to if we don't want to live in fear.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:35 PM

22,922 posts, read 18,230,585 times
I don't own a gun. I don't care if you want one or not. There are plenty of objects in my house/car I can use to defend myself including a brain. If some deranged Homo sapiens (yes, it's irony) decides to shoot up the restaurant I'm eating sitting in well, bad things happen. I'm not going to live in fear of it.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM

19,667 posts, read 9,985,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sorry to hear that. I understand the response times can vary.

Did she bust a cap in dat fool?
He ran when he saw my 13 year old grandson in the dark (6' 260lb. middle school football lineman)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies