Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
the irony that is lost on these people is that you own them NOT to live in fear
Best line of the thread

I don't carry all the time, but I was carrying one day where I was involved in a traffic violation. 4 big, young, drunk frat-boys jumped out of their car (I was the pedestrian) and started to surround me. I had no doubt I was going to get pounded into the pavement. I just reached for the pistol & that's all it took, never showed the entire gun...the 4 vanished as fast as they appeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
I'm a democrat. I own a shot gun, a cross bow and may someday own a pistol. I have a home in a rural area with a good chance that the cops are fifteen minutes away. If a bear comes toward my house, I will fire a warning shot at the tree next to him or her. Usually the sound of the blast is enough to scare the bear away. If not, the next round can be readied very quickly. If the threat is more of a human variety, the click click of a pump action shot gun is unmistakable.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
I don't think that' s irony -- could be wrong. I'm trying to figure out how to explain why it isn't irony.....give me a minute or a day. I'm not always able to find a good clarification.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
You can't root out every bad guy in the world. That is one of the reasons FOR owning a weapon. You stay vigilant. You track people like Roof down and give them the justice they deserve - the death penalty. It's a pretty short conversation.
And, you get to fantasize about hopefully someday playing judge, jury and executioner. That's probably a real turn-on for some people.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:14 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
And, you get to fantasize about hopefully someday playing judge, jury and executioner. That's probably a real turn-on for some people.
Nothing to do with that. It's about being able to prevent someone from harming you.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:17 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Ha. Wrong!

It was a poster here in C-D that made me realize that if you own a gun you are, by definition, living in fear.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Actually, I believe the irony is that having a gun makes you MORE paranoid and fearful. Lots of studies out there. I think it is true. Having a gun obviously makes people feel more powerful, just like driving one of those massive SUVs or pick-ups. Not comparing gun to car--but the idea is the same. More power over others.

There are actual causes of becoming more paranoid and fearful with a gun. You do not have the same type of feelings about fire extinguishers and locks. E.g., if you have a gun, you more likely think others have guns, so are already on guard. Fire extinguishers and locks--not so much--they do make you feel safer.

Some don't need that, and as others have noted--I've never needed one--have lived alone in a house in the New Mexico mountains, also have lived in NYC, Miami, and San Diego. Never needed a gun. Luck? I don't think so.

Please read the article and findings before attacking me. There is more than just the one study.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/study-...more-paranoid/

Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't own guns because of fear. I own them, along with every other piece of property I own, because it's a inherent natural right to own property...
Using that line of reasoning, I should own a yacht just because it's an inherent natural right to own property.

People don't own things just because of their natural right to own things. People own things because they either need to own it, or want to own it. You don't own something you don't want or need (and if you do, you're stupid). Thus, anybody who owns a gun does so because they feel they want to, or need to. At which point you have to ask why they would want to or need to.

In your case, you own your firearms because you like to hunt. That is, you want to.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Anyone that does not trust you to be armed, should not be trusted themselves.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are we playing the links are evidence game? Fun!

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/oc...ter-confronti/

https://komonews.com/news/local/orti...uring-burglary

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/03/mis...-self-defense/

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/1/18000520/gun-risk-death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies