U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM

48,273 posts, read 25,470,312 times

Advertisements

Perfect description of me. Not scared, donít need a gun.

Whether or not I have one is a different matter altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 PM

7,663 posts, read 1,913,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That had nothing to do with what I was saying.

If you did not have any guns, would you be afraid?
Nope. But I'd be damn bored.
No local race tracks. Nowhere to ride quads or dirtbikes...
Build firearms, shoot and compete with them it is.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:22 PM

6,902 posts, read 2,060,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. But I'd be damn bored.
No local race tracks. Nowhere to ride quads or dirtbikes...
Build firearms, shoot and compete with them it is.
I had a co-worker once in Seattle who went through an interesting transformation. When he was a teenager and into his 20's he and his friends spent lots of time hunting. He told me once that he and his friends would walk through the woods shooting literally hundreds of chipmunks (). It then occurred to him that what he really enjoyed about it was the chase/pursuit. At that point he realized he could do the same without harming any animal by converting his passion into wildlife photography. So he started a wildlife photography business and showed me all kinds of cool photographs of mountain goats and other critters he'd taken pictures of. He would go camping on mountainsides waiting in pursuit of whatever it was he wanted to get photos of, and would get his adrenaline rush that way. Point --> click --> GOTCHA! I thought that was a cool story.

Point being, there is probably a way to get the recreational satisfaction you desire by doing something other than the ways you traditionally get that kind of satisfaction.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
But most auto insurance companies rarely turn anyone down for insurance--they just charge you a fortune for insurance if you have a shaky background. If you want to pay it, you can have it.

The poster I responded to stated they do not get put through a background check to purchase car insurance.
Thanks for reinforcing my point to them though.

Quote:
Guns are totally different. These analogies that insurance and locks are like guns is absurd.

Insurance, locks and fire extinguishers do not kill people. Yeah, I know the rebuttal--knives and swimming pools.
Firearms don't kill people either. People kill people. The firearm is but an inanimate object incapable of thinking or action. They require physical manipulation.

How firearms are like insurance? Armed with one you can protect your assets and life/loved ones life/lives.
How are firearms like fire extinguishers? Well, when armed with one, they're an effective home invader extinguisher, rapist extinguisher, mugger/carjacker/mass murdering scumbag extinguisher.
Fire extinguishers stop fires. Law abiding individuals armed with firearms stop attackers when presented with force/violence is initiated upon them.

Quote:
And yet, oddly, you never hear much about a 3 year-old child accidentally killing his parents or friends with a knife, lock, swimming pool or fire extinguisher. Or an old man shooting a couple of people because he did not know the gun was loaded. How exactly does that work with a door lock, knife or fire extinguisher--the accidental deaths?

Guns sure don't make cops feel safer. They now shoot people holding cell phones and books.
Ahhh. The old- Muh Childrunz.
Want the stats that don't support your outrage straight from the CDC?

461 acts of negligence/actual accidents related to firearms.
Age groupings (I have an issue with the age groups as you're an adult at 18 not 24)
Under 1yr-1
1-4yrs-22
5-14yrs-26
15-24yrs-109

What does it show for drownings and automobiles?
A hell of alot more right?
Yet... no outrage and screaming and wailing for common senseTM car control lake/river/pool/pond/creek/stream control...

Say what you will. That argument has become laughable as the stats do not support your outrage, rather tells me you've taken all the talking points from Bloomberg and Everytown and regurgitated them.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 PM

18,483 posts, read 16,852,531 times
I don't live in fear of foreign armies, I don't need a military protecting me.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:31 PM

5,370 posts, read 8,481,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Great! Don't get a gun! Now about your wish to impose your will on others.........

Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM

8,533 posts, read 4,156,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But I am "afraid" of a fire or car accident.

A stove top fire is relative is a fairly common occurrence, something like 1 in 50 will have a fire of some type in their lifetime.

The average driver has an accident serious enough to file a claim once every 17.6 years.

Meanwhile there are something like 50K robberies of a home a year, and less than half of them are armed. There are 128M homes in the US, that makes your odds any year about 0.02% or so of facing an armed robber. Way less likely than the other scenarios.
You are way off.

According to the United States Department of Justice...

*An estimated 3.7 million burglaries occurred each year on
average from 2003 to 2007.

*A household member was present in roughly 1 million burglaries
and became victims of violent crimes in 266,560 burglaries.

266,560 burglaries... a minimum of one victim per criminal act...

Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 PM

3,584 posts, read 933,385 times
Quote:
You really don't get it.

People who do NOT live in fear feel no need to own a firearm.

People who DO live in fear feel the need to own a firearm. They only overcome that fear by possessing the firearm.

That is, the former are in the same state-of-mind without a gun that the latter are in with a gun.

People who use guns for hunting, being possible exceptions. Hunting is a sport.
Don't presume to know how I feel about anything. You don't make decisions for me, put food on my table, or take care of my family. MYOB.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,002,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I went through my whole life without anyone breaking into my home. We should just ban door locks. I feel sorry for those of you who think they need to keep their doors locked and live in fear.
I have never locked my doors, unless I am traveling and will be away for an extended period. Never owned a gun -and not a fan of insurance but recognize itís cheaper to have it than not.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I had a co-worker once in Seattle who went through an interesting transformation. When he was a teenager and into his 20's he and his friends spent lots of time hunting. He told me once that he and his friends would walk through the woods shooting literally hundreds of chipmunks (). It then occurred to him that what he really enjoyed about it was the chase/pursuit. At that point he realized he could do the same without harming any animal by converting his passion into wildlife photography. So he started a wildlife photography business and showed me all kinds of cool photographs of mountain goats and other critters he'd taken pictures of. He would go camping on mountainsides waiting in pursuit of whatever it was he wanted to get photos of, and would get his adrenaline rush that way. Point --> click --> GOTCHA! I thought that was a cool story.

Point being, there is probably a way to get the recreational satisfaction you desire by doing something other than the ways you traditionally get that kind of satisfaction.
I don't only hunt. When I do its legit for food. I used to hunt alot in NY. White tails and turkey. Better eating than what you'll get in a grocery store.
Florida has deer the size of a Labrador retriever from what I've seen. Scrawny scrappy little things. I've taken bucks that weighed as much as I do. I could eat for a week or more easily.

So I hunt wild hogs down here. They're a nuisance animal. No permission slip from the state required either. Unless on state property. I like hunting hogs. They're smart. They're not like deer. Deer hunting is now boring compared to hog hunting. I'll explain that later...

How smart?
Bait them. Pigs will sacrifice their young and watch for predators/hunters. If you bait for hogs, no joke. The piglets will go out to feed. After a few moments the sow or bore will mozy on over.
How smart? How much of a nuisance?
They'll get into a citrus grove, root around a tree and gnaw on the roots to cause the tree to die and drop it's fruit.
How much worse of a nuisance?
Most cattle here and in Texas, are not treated with antibiotics. Unless they go to 4H and livestock shows. They're natural grass fed. Not loaded with hormones and antibiotics...
Hogs will attack livestock. Their tusks contain bacteria. It can be FATAL for a rancher/farmers entire herd. That's not hyperbole or a joke. That's as serious as a heart attack.
There's a specific reason I hunt with an AR15, my girlfriend hunts with an AK and we both run suppressors when we do.
If not for the Hughes amendment I'd hunt hogs with suppressed beltfeds.
They'll eat their young too.

They make for great BBQ providing they're not full of worms and parasites...
Usually for every 5-10 we take combined, 2-6 are loaded with with parasites upon gutting them. That's when you grab the big contractors bag and heave the body in the bag and off to the dumpsite. No need to get cattle infected with that crap at the properties we hunt on.

Hogs aren't like deer either. Hogs will charge... and their sense of smell is better than that of a dogs... and when they do charge? Best have that magazine you want banned loaded to capacity. That Fudd lever or bolt rifle will result in you getting injured or killed.

I'm not your buddy that got their rocks off shooting varmints. I eat what I shoot if it's an animal.

I love all things mechanical and I have always. I've been shooting firearms since the age of 4 and that went on hiatus when I got into dirt track stock car racing and more so once Cuomo declared me a felon. Tragic boating accident on the Hudson River and they magically followed the tide down the beach here in Florida

Mechanical and anything that to others seems inherently, dangerous.
Most of my friends from NY thought I was crazy going skydiving jumping out of a perfectly operational airplane...

There's no snow nor mountains down here. So no snowboarding. Sold the snowmobiles before I moved.

Shooting ranges? Abundant and local.
Shooting sports competition and training it is.
Jetskis are fun for a while... then you get in more trouble than their worth when some carpet baggers call and complain about going fast...
Same mentality exists there too in water sports and boating...
You'll see some smug holier than thou elitist attitudes in boating...
Have a Malibu ski boat, or a Sea-Doo/Yamaha jet boat? Its, Buy a real boat! Nobody needs one of those damned things able to do 60mph on the water!
Well. I'd own this in a heart beat...
I'd build a high compression short stroke small block to blow by them at 8000+rpm with open headers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=AL58hUAGQu8

Unless you want to fund a new hobby for me...

I don't care what you feel. Tell me what you think.
Regardless, it is a Constitutionally protected civil liberty to keep and bear arms. Whether you like it or not, that's fact. How people choose to live their lives, is their choice and theirs alone. Regardless of what weapon it is they seek to own or have an interest in or in fact do own, that's their choice. Their money to spend. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant.
Fact of the matter is, you're howling and feeble attempts at mocking, smearing, insulting, and falsely equating the millions who exercise that Constitutionally protected right with murderous scumbags is your issue and yours alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Perfect description of me. Not scared, don’t need a gun.

Whether or not I have one is a different matter altogether.
This guy gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or