Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:27 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
the irony that is lost on these people is that you own them NOT to live in fear
You really don't get it.

People who do NOT live in fear feel no need to own a firearm.

People who DO live in fear feel the need to own a firearm. They only overcome that fear by possessing the firearm.

That is, the former are in the same state-of-mind without a gun that the latter are in with a gun.

People who use guns for hunting, being possible exceptions. Hunting is a sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What I don't fear is a background check when I get a fire extinguisher or car insurance.
Actually you do get a background check when you get car insurance.
Both credit check and accident and traffic violation records...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:39 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You really don't get it.

People who DO live in fear feel the need to own a firearm. They only overcome that fear by possessing the firearm.

That is, the former are in the same state-of-mind without a gun that the latter are in with a gun.

We do get it.
You don't get it. So you project, falsely equate, and conflate.

We could explain it to you. We can't understand it for you. Regardless you'll express whatever it is you feel to justify smearing others who've decided to participate in a Constitutionally protected civil liberty, be it for home or self defense, or shooting sports.

You scream and howl like spoiled children that have been told No to.
That and Stop liking what I don't like!

Selfish isn't doing what you want to do, selfish is forcing others to do what you want them to...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
You really don't get it.

No, you DON'T know how we "feel". For many years I left my guns at my parents house, and lived by myself with no firearms. I didn't live in fear. Later, I got back into the shooting sports, and got my guns back. I then also kept one handy for home defense, then started carrying sometimes. Not out of fear but just like having insurance. I don't live in fear of my house burning down bit I do carry insurance.

So YOU really don't get it. But, try to make yourself feel better about yourself. Carry on.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
We do get it.
You don't get it. So you project, falsely equate, and conflate.

We could explain it to you. We can't understand it for you. Regardless you'll express whatever it is you feel to justify smearing others who've decided to participate in a Constitutionally protected civil liberty, be it for home or self defense, or shooting sports.

You scream and howl like spoiled children that have been told No to.
That and Stop liking what I don't like!

Selfish isn't doing what you want to do, selfish is forcing others to do what you want them to...
That had nothing to do with what I was saying.

If you did not have any guns, would you be afraid?

Old 01-22-2019, 04:47 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
Quote:
You really don't get it.

You're projecting. This is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but it's not reality.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I don't need a fire extinguisher, I refuse to live in fear of a house fire.

I don't need insurance, I refuse to live in fear of a car accident.
But I am "afraid" of a fire or car accident.

A stove top fire is relative is a fairly common occurrence, something like 1 in 50 will have a fire of some type in their lifetime.

The average driver has an accident serious enough to file a claim once every 17.6 years.

Meanwhile there are something like 50K robberies of a home a year, and less than half of them are armed. There are 128M homes in the US, that makes your odds any year about 0.02% or so of facing an armed robber. Way less likely than the other scenarios.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I don't need a fire extinguisher, I refuse to live in fear of a house fire.

I don't need insurance, I refuse to live in fear of a car accident.
I've made it through 65 years and no gun needed...not even close.

Now, IF the statistic said that MORE fire extinguisher caused death or injury to the house occupants than saved them from fire....then I would ditch mine.

Surely you know that those are the stats.....but, hey, people are welcome to not work by the stats. Everyone that takes opiates doesn't think stats applies to them. Those who smoke cigarettes....they don't think the statistics apply because they "know someone who lived a long time and smoked"...

I'm not scared of guns. I shot from when I was 7 to when I was in military school but then I outgrew them. At this point they would only be a tool - for hunting or protection. I don't hunt and the stats are against me for protection.

But I wouldn't hesitate to own one IF my situation was sad enough that I had to live somewhere where my house was in danger. As you probably know, that's NOT everywhere. Our town of 25,000 people...where I lived for 26 years...NEVER had one gun "situation" other than suicide and in-family murder (hubby kills wife)...and even those could be counted on one hand.

Those are odds so low that I'd probably be better investing in a heavy steel roof to avoid space junk, airplane parts or a nasty tree limb.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't live in fear of my house burning down bit I do carry insurance.
Yes, people carry insurance either because:

1. They are required to (as in car insurance as a prerequisite to owning and driving a car), or:
2. Because they are afraid of getting sick, their house burning down, etc. and not having their own money to pay health bills or rebuilding the house.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Actually you do get a background check when you get car insurance.
Both credit check and accident and traffic violation records...
But most auto insurance companies rarely turn anyone down for insurance--they just charge you a fortune for insurance if you have a shaky background. If you want to pay it, you can have it.

Guns are totally different. These analogies that insurance and locks are like guns is absurd.

Insurance, locks and fire extinguishers do not kill people. Yeah, I know the rebuttal--knives and swimming pools.

And yet, oddly, you never hear much about a 3 year-old child accidentally killing his parents or friends with a knife, lock, swimming pool or fire extinguisher. Or an old man shooting a couple of people because he did not know the gun was loaded. How exactly does that work with a door lock, knife or fire extinguisher--the accidental deaths?

Guns sure don't make cops feel safer. They now shoot people holding cell phones and books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies