U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:15 AM

10,520 posts, read 7,531,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
But it wasn't a permanent solution. And in three years we could be back in this same position. Meanwhile, he gets his money, and we the DACA kids get bupkus or deported.

Will DACA ever be a permanent solution the way our elected use illegal aliens and the like as a political football?

I think Trumps DACA deal was huge and the Dems should have taken it. It gave DACA people 3 more years of assurances and the big gamble was will Trump be President in 3 years?

If the country hates Trump as much as the Dems and CNN tells us they do then Trump doesn't stand a chance in 2020 which means a Democrat will take the office and he/she will likely make the DACA people a priority to rubber stamp them as citizens and voters.

And if Trump should maintain the WH then Congress can just kick the DACA can down the road like they have for years.

I thought it was a good deal that Trump offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:37 AM

31,320 posts, read 24,987,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Although I am no fan of President Trump, I actually thought that his offer of DACA extension for wall funding was a reasonable compromise. There has to be a way to keep a DACA person who is going to med school, while deporting those like the guy who shot & killed the cop in CA recently.
Quote:
But it wasn't a permanent solution. And in three years we could be back in this same position. Meanwhile, he gets his money, and we the DACA kids get bupkus or deported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
In a compromise you take the original offer and negotiate to improve it. The deal is out there if Dems want it, they could get a permanent DACA deal in exchange for a measly $3-$5 billion in wall funding.

comm is right, trump offered a temporary fix, but instead of working towards a permanent fix, the democrats just rejected the offer out of hand, EVEN THOUGH everything the democrats wanted, both in the past and now, was in the compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It’s not a compromise when someone offers to fix something they caused in the first place.
sorry trump didnt cause the DACA problem, obama did with his illegal EO.

on most things i am willing to compromise, but there are times to stand your ground. for instance gun control. i recognize the need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally defective, but we must do it without abrogating the rights of everyone else.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

2,573 posts, read 479,736 times
The Democrats that are not fans of corporations lobbying Congress for corporate interests are who I wouldn't mind hanging out with. Then again, where you draw that line when political campaigns are often endorsed by corporations and special interest groups is not clear.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

17,410 posts, read 9,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
no clue what that is
Slavery vs. freedom.

Nobody should be forced either by a state or a individual to do anything unless the said person is the aggressor, an initiator of violence or creating actual harm.

For example, nobody should be forced to give up their personal property so that other people can receive the benefits - think income tax or property tax. If the system needs funding, all should be paying the same amount.

Another example, why should someone be punished when there’s no victim? Think gay marriage and drug laws.

Why should anybody accept slavery?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; Today at 11:53 AM..

Old Today, 10:32 AM

20,778 posts, read 20,961,034 times
it's best not to try and negotiate with The Idiot President on anything, his word doesn't mean squat as everything he says is a lie, life will go on.

Old Today, 12:57 PM

1,560 posts, read 253,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Itís not a compromise when someone offers to fix something they caused in the first place.
DACA was an initiative of President Obama, not Trump.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

1,560 posts, read 253,550 times
Quote:
Did you say that when Obama signed it? I did. I noted that DACA was bringing affected people 'out of the shadows,' putting their names on a list, and into a system that could be reversed by the next president with stroke of pen.

If you did make note of that at the time, we're in agreement. Otherwise you're another poster playing partisan ping pong.

Old Today, 01:04 PM

63,416 posts, read 32,009,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Both sides - R and D - seem to want to eradicate the other. What issues would you be willing to make reasonable compromises on and how so? I'm assuming if you are an independent there are issues you would be willing to compromise on. I'm curious if everyday people are as far apart as our representatives seem to be.

For me, I'm ok with the abortion laws as they are. I see that as an existing compromise.

I think there is some room to compromise on gun control in terms of mental health checks and private sales. The trouble is figuring out a common sense way to do it that is actually productive.

There is plenty of room to compromise in terms of border security imo, but one side seems to be fixated on the wall while the other seems to want nothing to do with border security at all.

Federal budget: Tons of room for compromise there. I'd willing to give up more than enough military spending to pay for the wall and plenty of other things.
Return ALL 10th Amendment issues back to the rightful place... The individual States.
Repealing the 16th Amendment and get back to Freedom(unlimited choices) & Liberty(You get to choose not your masters)

I can get behind that.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
In a compromise you take the original offer and negotiate to improve it. The deal is out there if Dems want it, they could get a permanent DACA deal in exchange for a measly $3-$5 billion in wall funding.
The wanted a DACA deal back when they offered $25 billion for a wall, but Trump didn't take it. He doesn't want a permanent deal for DACA. Therein lies the rub.

Old Today, 01:10 PM

6,805 posts, read 2,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Did you say that when Obama signed it? I did. I noted that DACA was bringing affected people 'out of the shadows,' putting their names on a list, and into a system that could be reversed by the next president with stroke of pen.

If you did make note of that at the time, we're in agreement. Otherwise you're another poster playing partisan ping pong.
Obama wouldn't have kicked out the Dreamers. And he also wanted to expand citizens to non-citizens, but didn't get very far. Trump doesn't want a path to citizenship for anyone. He even has a problem with legal immigrants.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/815592002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies