U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

31,324 posts, read 24,994,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The wanted a DACA deal back when they offered $25 billion for a wall, but Trump didn't take it. He doesn't want a permanent deal for DACA. Therein lies the rub.

wrong, trump offered up a deal in 2017 by which he would get $25 billion for the wall, and 1.8 million DACA eligible people would get a path to citizenship, and there would be an end to chain migration and the visa lottery. the demorcats rejected that out of hand, they said they wanted daca amnesty with no strings attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:00 AM

29,994 posts, read 32,526,514 times
Hard to say. I can't figure out what most of them want what with all the power plays and posturing going on. Sometimes they want the same thing only to turn around and change their mind to "stick it to" the other side. I'm not important in this theater.

Old Today, 12:10 AM

6,953 posts, read 11,873,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Both sides - R and D - seem to want to eradicate the other. What issues would you be willing to make reasonable compromises on and how so? I'm assuming if you are an independent there are issues you would be willing to compromise on. I'm curious if everyday people are as far apart as our representatives seem to be.

For me, I'm ok with the abortion laws as they are. I see that as an existing compromise.

I think there is some room to compromise on gun control in terms of mental health checks and private sales. The trouble is figuring out a common sense way to do it that is actually productive.

There is plenty of room to compromise in terms of border security imo, but one side seems to be fixated on the wall while the other seems to want nothing to do with border security at all.

Federal budget: Tons of room for compromise there. I'd willing to give up more than enough military spending to pay for the wall and plenty of other things.
1. I'm okay with gay marriage being legal as long as the rights of Christians are protected in terms of things like bakers not being forced to cater a gay wedding and churches not being forced to endorse gay marriage or rent space to hold gay weddings.

2. I would ideally like to see Roe vs Wade overturned, but if abortion remains legal I would at least demand that doctors, nurses, and pharmacists not be forced to participate in abortion against their religious beliefs, and that a doctor shouldn't be forced to refer someone to an abortionist.

3. I'm okay with the minimum wage being increased up to $8.50 an hour.

4. I"m okay with foreign trade agreements where we and the other country are on equal footing (ideally we would be in the dominant position....the Democrats have all negotiated trade deals where America is the weaker party like with NAFTA and the TPP)

5. I'm okay with DACA recipients given permanent residency as a compromise, but not citizenship and they should never be able to sponsor their illegal parents.

6. I'm okay with police being required to wear body cameras

7. I can expect SOME environmental regulations as long as they're proven to not hurt jobs

8. I'm okay with workers being given paid sick leave and paid maternity leave

Old Today, 09:00 AM

7,065 posts, read 2,453,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You think a wall is all of a sudden stop people from coming here? I hate to break it to you, the wall will only affect a fraction of illegal immigrants and will take at least 15 years to be built when all is said and done. They are still litigating eminent domain cases from the Secure Fence Act 13 years later...

Democrats would get a lot more respect from most on the Right if they spent less time criticizing what they think won't work and more time talking about what they think will work.

Old Today, 09:04 AM

4,739 posts, read 1,347,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Democrats would get a lot more respect from most on the Right if they spent less time criticizing what they think won't work and more time talking about what they think will work.
I'm not a Democrat, but I will give it a shot:

E-Verify, stringently enforced with real penalties, coupled with an easier path to legal immigration (particularly for those already here without a criminal record), increased funding to adequately and promptly adjudicate asylum cases, and more advanced border security measures using modern monitoring technology supported by increased manpower.

That will work far better than a border wall and can be implemented 30 times faster at a fraction of the cost. Any other questions?

Old Today, 09:05 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,876,454 times
Quote:

E-Verify, stringently enforced with real penalties, coupled with an easier path to legal immigration (particularly for those already here without a criminal record), increased funding to adequately and promptly adjudicate asylum cases, and more advanced border security measures using modern monitoring technology supported by increased manpower.

That will work far better than a border wall and can be implemented 30 times faster at a fraction of the cost. Any other questions?
Yeah, how do you intend to stop all the people sneaking across the open areas of the border to get in?

Old Today, 09:13 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,159,420 times
Quote:

Your list is very reasonable, except for the one. If they came illegally to this country as an ADULT over the age of 18, NO CITIZENSHIP! You don't get rewarded for breaking the law. And adding to your list, we need to become more selective on who we do let in. They must have the skills that we need and the ability to sustain themselves. No more hand-outs and freebies till we take care of our own......

Old Today, 09:17 AM
TKO

2,439 posts, read 2,904,478 times
I'd have no problem putting walls in a lot of places. Just not from coast to coast. I want to see a semblance of a plan that we all discuss. I'm a leftie and I am not alone in being firmly against illegal immigration. I'd like to see an increase in legal immigration and bringing back some form of the bracero program.

Old Today, 09:22 AM

4,202 posts, read 2,086,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Your list is very reasonable, except for the one. If they came illegally to this country as an ADULT over the age of 18, NO CITIZENSHIP! You don't get rewarded for breaking the law. And adding to your list, we need to become more selective on who we do let in. They must have the skills that we need and the ability to sustain themselves. No more hand-outs and freebies till we take care of our own......

Herein lies the problem. Most Trump supporters are against ANY type of Amnesty.

What about all the TPS recipients (Legal entry) ? Together they make up millions of people. What about people who may have worked and paid taxes for 10 or more years ?

We (the US) made this problem and kicking the can down the road (TPS extensions, catch and release) for the last 20 years has made it much, much bigger and harder to solve. Something Real needs to be done, not more of the same BS Congress has been doing for 20 years.

The real solution to the current and future problem is compromise on Comprehensive Immigration reform.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,159,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Herein lies the problem. Most Trump supporters are against ANY type of Amnesty.

What about all the TPS recipients (Legal entry) ? Together they make up millions of people. What about people who may have worked and paid taxes for 10 or more years ?

We (the US) made this problem and kicking the can down the road (TPS extensions, catch and release) for the last 20 years has made it much, much bigger and harder to solve. Something Real needs to be done, not more of the same BS Congress has been doing for 20 years.

The real solution to the current and future problem is compromise on Comprehensive Immigration reform.
Why shouldn't we be against Amnesty? A family member of mine was going to work (not staying) in several foreign countries. It took six months to get the approval for Peru. About eight weeks for Canada. Tons of $$'s and stacks of paperwork. I was questioned intensely just going for a visit for a week upon entering these countries. Family member had to even meet with Interpol at times. The fact that someone just strolled or ran over our border without going through the correct procedures tells me that more than likely their character isn't one I can trust. If an immigrant did it the right way I say welcome what can I help you with! If I had broken the law going into one of these countries would I have been welcomed with open arms? Darn right I wouldn't have......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies