Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:39 PM

21,821 posts, read 9,377,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I remember last year you went on and on about the huge turnout, but I watched a lot of it live and if there were 1,000 people it was a lot. I have no reason to think this year was any different than last year.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/do...-march-for-lif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The organizers always claim there are hundreds of thousands, but the attendance seems to top out around 10k for this event.

Maybe they count worldwide and multiply by a number drawn out of a hat.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/do...-march-for-lif

Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I’m confused as to why this is even an argument. Does it really matter how many there were? Are you competing with another group?
Yeah, it matters when CNN tells you there were only 1000 people there and that is a lie.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well then they have nothing to worry about or march for because tax money does not pay for abortions. Problem solved!

Still want to march? Hmm, maybe it is actually about wanting to control the private decisions that women make with the guidance of their doctors...
Of course tax money pays for abortions.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The whole school goes to a political rally? That's nuts. I can see a field trip that has nothing to do with a political rally but to basically force kids to go to a rally? No way, no how.
Oh, give me a break. PUBLIC school students marched for gun control. Catholics can bus their kids if they want. The taxpayers aren't paying for it.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Oh, give me a break. PUBLIC school students marched for gun control. Catholics can bus their kids if they want. The taxpayers aren't paying for it.
You really need to read my post again. The person I was quoting said their kids school, the entire school, would go to rallies. If you didn't want to go you would have to sit in a detention like way for the whole day. The entire school. That is nuts. That is not some high schoolers going to a political rally on their own. That is the SCHOOL in essence forcing them to go to a political rally. Yes, I think that is nuts. And notice I didn't mention private vs public schools. I said school, as in general.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Each year kids from schools attend the rally. They are the biggest attendees since it's hard to travel such distances. They go on buses from their schools.

More than 75% were young people this year. After all they are the Pro-Life generation. https://studentsforlife.org/
And from the events of this year it is clear it is no place for young people.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times
One thing for young people to walk out of their OWN high school -- another to be bused to the nation's capital the week end of conflicting protests.

No place for young people.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM

989 posts, read 453,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You really need to read my post again. The person I was quoting said their kids school, the entire school, would go to rallies. If you didn't want to go you would have to sit in a detention like way for the whole day. The entire school. That is nuts. That is not some high schoolers going to a political rally on their own. That is the SCHOOL in essence forcing them to go to a political rally. Yes, I think that is nuts. And notice I didn't mention private vs public schools. I said school, as in general.
That was me.

It is common in this area, because we are close to the March, that the private catholic high schools strongly encourage the kids to go to the March. They hire buses and I would say that about 97% of the school attends this. If you don't go and you don't want an unexcused absence from school, you are more than welcome to stay at the school. You then get to sit in the cafeteria or other room with a room minder and you can work on homework, study, help them clean, whatever. I did use the term "detention like" to describe it but let me make clear that these kids are not punished nor are they treated poorly. But there is no reward for staying behind.

All the kids love going. Not because they so passionately support the anti-abortion movement, though some do. They go because they get to hang out with their friends all day, wear jeans, and have fun. We have about 10 large Catholic high schools in the area and they all do it.

At the middle school level, it is much more low-key and less of the kids go or are prodded into going.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And from the events of this year it is clear it is no place for young people.
Did you have any issues with middle schoolers marching for gun control? Be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies