U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 PM
 
266 posts, read 52,478 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

First and foremost, I swing both ways.

I've voted for as many Republicans in my life as Democrats, and describe myself as more of a moderate leaning Libertarian. I've voted for Obama and Clinton in the last two elections. I've recently leaned more Democrat, because of some of the issues and I'm just no fan of Trump as a leader, plain and simple.,

That sad...

I'm sick and tired of all these fake progressives. It used to be that Dems represented the "every man", and Republicans tended to side with big business and the elites. But the more I get to know some of the progressives I meet, it seems that all I see is big talk and little walk. They've straight up abandoned their ideals of fighting for the little guy. Now it seems like "little guy" simply means brown skinned, immigrant, of the female sex, and LGBTQ.

"Hey, hey, fake progressives, just because you're a white male doesn't mean you grew up upper class and privileged!"

Some of us actually grew up quite poor and dug ourselves out of poverty, thankfully will help from the system.

These fake progressives have all but abandoned underprivileged white people (men mostly) in their crusade to defend only minorities and amnesty-seeking immigrants, as if we've magically had all of our own issues at home resolved.

You've abandoned us, and then scratch your head wondering why did all these white Millennial men start wearing 'MAGA' hats? I wonder why nationalism is taking hold all around the world. Hmm...could it be that you've forsaken those of us that you call your fellow Americans?

All the while living in their safe, secure enclaves surrounded by other liberal elite, upper middle class white folks...far, far away from those brown people they so desperately feel bad for.

"Hey, fake progressives, we're here, too, in your very own backyard, and we also have issues that need to be addressed! Just because we're white doesn't mean we've got it all figured out and life handed to us on a silver platter."

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of supporting their agenda while ultimately feeling like they've all but abandoned me, and also curse me behind my back for my alleged 'white privilege'. Gee whiz, I sure wish I had experienced that white privilege first hand, or else I wouldn't still be paying for my college tuition and fearing the day I need to go to the ER for anything major. I wish I was automatically handed the keys to the world due to my 'white privilege', but unfortunately they must have passed over our town for some of those more elite communities across the tracks.

Me thinks that these 'fake progressives' don't really understand the problems in their own backyard, because my guess is that they probably lived a very privileged life and never had to struggle growing up.

So if you want my continued support come 2020, and others like me, I strongly advise you start including us in your fight for the 'little guy'. We're not all blessed and wealthy. Help us to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,465 posts, read 3,229,950 times
Reputation: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
First and foremost, I swing both ways.

I've voted for as many Republicans in my life as Democrats, and describe myself as more of a moderate leaning Libertarian. I've voted for Obama and Clinton in the last two elections. I've recently leaned more Democrat, because of some of the issues and I'm just no fan of Trump as a leader, plain and simple.,

That sad...

I'm sick and tired of all these fake progressives. It used to be that Dems represented the "every man", and Republicans tended to side with big business and the elites. But the more I get to know some of the progressives I meet, it seems that all I see is big talk and little walk. They've straight up abandoned their ideals of fighting for the little guy. Now it seems like "little guy" simply means brown skinned and immigrant.

"Hey, hey, fake progressives, just because you're a white male doesn't mean you grew up upper class and privileged!"

Some of us actually grew up quite poor and dug ourselves out of poverty, thankfully will help from the system.

These fake progressives have all but abandoned underprivileged white people (men mostly) in their crusade to defend only minorities and amnesty-seeking immigrants, as if we've magically had all of our own issues at home resolved.

You've abandoned us, and then scratch your head wondering why did all these white Millennial men start wearing 'MAGA' hats?

All the while living in their safe, secure enclaves surrounded by other liberal elite, upper middle class white folks...far, far away from those brown people they so desperately feel bad for.

"Hey, fake progressives, we're here, too, in your very own backyard, and we also have issues that need to be addressed! Just because we're white doesn't mean we've got it all figured out and life handed to us on a silver platter."

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of supporting their agenda while ultimately feeling like they've all but abandoned me, and also curse me behind my back for my alleged 'white privilege'. Gee whiz, I sure wish I had experienced that white privilege first hand, or else I wouldn't still be paying for my college tuition and fearing the day I need to go to the ER for anything major. I wish I was automatically handed the keys to the world due to my 'white privilege', but unfortunately they must have passed over our town for some of those more elite communities across the tracks.

Me thinks that these 'fake progressives' don't really understand the problems in their own backyard, because my guess is that they probably lived a very privileged life and never had to struggle growing up.

So if you want my continued support come 2020, and others like me, I strongly advise you start including us in your fight for the 'little guy'. We're not all blessed and wealthy.
Are you someone that would benefit from a higher minimum wage? Earning OT even if you are salaried? A stronger union presence in your industry or area? Free/paid training to learn these high-demand, low-supply manufacturing/tech skills? More generous aid to cover the costs of higher education? Why do you care what other people are getting while these things are a benefit you too?

Stop focusing on what group is getting the lime light and start posting attention to what benefits you get off they're in power. Trans bathroom choice does not affect you. Cops being held accountable for how they deal with minorities does not affect you. Focus on what affects you and you'll sleep better.

In other words... I don't give a f*** if a restaurant advertises to vegans if they also serve a delicious-ass steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 PM
 
Location: SoCal
2,719 posts, read 2,090,691 times
Reputation: 2129
First I doubt if you're really a true progressive. A true progressive wouldn't be overly focused on them selves, and feeling like they are deserving of everything good. A progressive would focus on minorites because as the statistics show us minorities have a long way to go to close the gap. Seeing as the republican party is all for just white men why TF would progressives need to be too?! Honestly with your attitude I think you'd be better off with conservatives as they feel the same way you do.

Your entire post sumed up privelage, and the privelaged mentality.

Not to mention minorities and women make up 70% of the freaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Status: "On punishment for offending someone. Again. :)" (set 18 hours ago)
 
3,666 posts, read 1,815,632 times
Reputation: 4999
I am convinced nobody knows the definition of "progressive" or "liberal". Conservatism is more easily defined. The inability to know what these terms mean is the reason neither of the parties that claim to promote the agendas have clear direction. I'll give the Republicans credit for at least knowing what they stand for and sticking to it...however detrimental their ideals may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,465 posts, read 3,229,950 times
Reputation: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I am convinced nobody knows the definition of "progressive" or "liberal". Conservatism is more easily defined. The inability to know what these terms mean is the reason neither of the parties that claim to promote the agendas have clear direction. I'll give the Republicans credit for at least knowing what they stand for and sticking to it...however detrimental their ideals may be.
I disagree. Liberals/leftists/Democrats clearly fit into the definition of Progressive: the expansion of access to rights and resources.

Conversely, Conservatives and Republicans clearly fit into the opposing ideology: the contraction & limitation of access to rights and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM
Status: "On punishment for offending someone. Again. :)" (set 18 hours ago)
 
3,666 posts, read 1,815,632 times
Reputation: 4999
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I disagree. Liberals/leftists/Democrats clearly fit into the definition of Progressive: the expansion of access to rights and resources.

So you believe people in a "free" country should not have equal access to rights and resources? I want to be clear on your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,465 posts, read 3,229,950 times
Reputation: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
So you believe people in a "free" country should not have equal access to rights and resources? I want to be clear on your position.
I'm pretty clearly a leftist. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Status: "On punishment for offending someone. Again. :)" (set 18 hours ago)
 
3,666 posts, read 1,815,632 times
Reputation: 4999
I'm asking because most people in this place are conservative/Republican. As for me...I really don't know what the "left" is anymore. In my experience, people identifying as "liberal" or "progressive" are often worse than Republicans. I find the vast majority of people who self-identify as those things to be elitists. They are for "equal" rights in theory only. Put them in the same space as someone they view as inferior and watch those ideals fly out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 PM
 
17,328 posts, read 11,643,967 times
Reputation: 9233
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I disagree. Liberals/leftists/Democrats clearly fit into the definition of Progressive: the expansion of access to rights and resources.

Conversely, Conservatives and Republicans clearly fit into the opposing ideology: the contraction & limitation of access to rights and resources.


Liberal = wealth "redistribution" by whatever means possible


Liberals "for" rights? Are you kidding? Is this why liberals want to :


1. ban firearms and even the entire 2nd amendment


2. increased regulations that tell individuals how they can use their property


3. increased regulations that tell businesses how to function


4. Attempting to ban the free speech of every conservative on college campuses


5. increasing taxes to reduce the amount of money individuals can choose to use themselves


6. banning books and literature that are not politically correct


7. shouting down/attacking physically those who oppose their views through groups like ANTIFA


8. Wanting to ban the electoral college, dooming 3/4 of the states to no longer be part of the union


9. wanting to ban conservative voices on the radio through the "fairness doctrine"


10. reducing the ability of employers to hire the workers they feel most qualified through quotas


11.Increasing regulation on CO2, thus imperiling the ability of average citizens to afford gasoline (see France)


12. Bans on whatever foods liberals don't like (soft drinks, fast foods)


13. bans on cigarettes






................................ the list goes on. "Liberals" are the new brown shirts of today, seeking to control other people's lives and limiting individual liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 PM
 
Location: SoCal
2,719 posts, read 2,090,691 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberal = wealth "redistribution" by whatever means possible


Liberals "for" rights? Are you kidding? Is this why liberals want to :


1. ban firearms and even the entire 2nd amendment


2. increased regulations that tell individuals how they can use their property


3. increased regulations that tell businesses how to function


4. Attempting to ban the free speech of every conservative on college campuses


5. increasing taxes to reduce the amount of money individuals can choose to use themselves


6. banning books and literature that are not politically correct


7. shouting down/attacking physically those who oppose their views through groups like ANTIFA


8. Wanting to ban the electoral college, dooming 3/4 of the states to no longer be part of the union


9. wanting to ban conservative voices on the radio through the "fairness doctrine"


10. reducing the ability of employers to hire the workers they feel most qualified through quotas


11.Increasing regulation on CO2, thus imperiling the ability of average citizens to afford gasoline (see France)


12. Bans on whatever foods liberals don't like (soft drinks, fast foods)


13. bans on cigarettes






................................ the list goes on. "Liberals" are the new brown shirts of today, seeking to control other people's lives and limiting individual liberties.
Basically everything you said is all BS scare tactics clearly that anyone not an idiot would be able to see through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top