Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,018,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I do respect a women’s right to their physical autonomy but I place more importance on the unborn child’s autonomy.
Luckily, the law does not place the rights of an unborn fetus over that of a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're making a sound argument...unfortunately as a liberal statist you won't apply it consistently across the board.

That's the difference between being a person of principles as opposed to being a Team Red/Team Blue pawn.
And Republicans apply it consistently?

Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,049,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Luckily, the law does not place the rights of an unborn fetus over that of a woman.
Not lucky for the fetus.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,103,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Not lucky for the fetus.
Some of us think a sentient adult human gets priority, even if it's a woman

Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 PM

33,013 posts, read 12,284,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
yes.
this does not belong on City-Data.
it is too evenhanded and logical.
we are not used to that.

LOL.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

33,013 posts, read 12,284,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The whole Catholic Church is anti-contraception.

Fully understand that people with polar beliefs will never agree on this issue however forcing a woman to have a baby she doesn't want is denying her (all women) a basic right to controlling her life. The vocal men should not have a say on this issue given the condition will never happen to them.

Exactly.

I'm a man, and I should not have 'veto power' one way or another.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There's the basic sensible point that women should be allowed to make their own decisions about their body. There's the basic sensible point that many people who are anti-abortion are also anti-contraception, and don't want women to even control their own sexuality.

But the most basic thing that anti-abortion people don't seem to grasp is this: If you allow a government to rule what happens to your body, it can go both ways. In other words, a government that has permission to forbid you to have an abortion, can also require you to have an abortion (as with China). One of the oddest things, for me, about Republicans is that they object to government interference with corporate greed, but they're fine with government interference with an individual's more personal decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're making a sound argument...unfortunately as a liberal statist you won't apply it consistently across the board.

That's the difference between being a person of principles as opposed to being a Team Red/Team Blue pawn.

A woman's body has her own DNA.

A fetus has DNA that is neither the mother's nor the father's.

It is unique because it belongs only to the person that is the fetus.

The "women's own body" argument requires us to believe that part of her body, the part she wishes to dispose of, can be male.

One of two things must happen before a human being can be legally put to death.

The first is that he or she must be convicted of a crime serious enough to warrant a death sentence.

The second is that he, she or they must be declared a non-person(s) by the state.

Throughout history, individuals and select groups have been declared sub-human and therefore unentitled to the rights and protections that they would otherwise enjoy.

In our own history, the same Supreme Court that declared blacks sub-human (Dred Scott) also decided that anyone not yet able to survive outside the womb is also sub-human (Roe).

Of course every rational, intelligent person realizes that a fetus cannot be anything except a person.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
And no one should force me to pay for yours (collective). Have all the abortions you want. None of my business. But it should be up to the states and not the federal government.
First of all, you don't pay for anyone's abortion. Whether to have an abortion or not should be up to the individual not any government, state or federal. Abortion is legal.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 PM

18,554 posts, read 7,317,149 times
Quote:
There's the basic sensible point that women should be allowed to make their own decisions about their body.
That's a good point, which doesn't address the issue. There's another body in the picture. Has that not occurred to you?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times
Quote:
There's the basic sensible point that women should be allowed to make their own decisions about their body. There's the basic sensible point that many people who are anti-abortion are also anti-contraception, and don't want women to even control their own sexuality.

But the most basic thing that anti-abortion people don't seem to grasp is this: If you allow a government to rule what happens to your body, it can go both ways. In other words, a government that has permission to forbid you to have an abortion, can also require you to have an abortion (as with China). One of the oddest things, for me, about Republicans is that they object to government interference with corporate greed, but they're fine with government interference with an individual's more personal decisions.

The issue is you are not considering the rights of the unborn. Personally I find arguments against the morning after pill to be ridiculous and if you are someone that supports abortion at nine months I have no words for that. That's the extremes, I think most people can agree that somewhere in between we have a moral obligation to protect the life of the unborn. It's not really an argument about the rights of the Mother but when the rights of the unborn begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies