Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
We can disagree, but I hope you might also acknowledge that it's a matter of opinion. Most people would not consider a tiny embryo who can't survive on it's own as a "person." If you think it's immoral to have an abortion, NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO HAVE AN ABORTION.

By the way, did you know that abortion was totally legal in earlier days, and supposedly it only became illegal because professional doctors were trying to take over the market from midwives?
And no one should force me to pay for yours (collective). Have all the abortions you want. None of my business. But it should be up to the states and not the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
As a man, I have no say in the matter.

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The whole Catholic Church is anti-contraception.
Great, I'm not Catholic nor do I agree with their beliefs.

Quote:
Fully understand that people with polar beliefs will never agree on this issue however forcing a woman to have a baby she doesn't want is denying her (all women) a basic right to controlling her life. The vocal men should not have a say on this issue given the condition will never happen to them.
I agree that people will never fully agree on this issue, that's no big surprise.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
And no one should force me to pay for yours (collective). Have all the abortions you want. None of my business. But it should be up to the states and not the federal government.
And where do I sign up so I get to pick and choose what my tax dollars get spent on? Because I can tell you that I've got a long, long list of things I object to and don't want my money going towards. Why should this one particular medical procedure be an exception?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM

764 posts, read 392,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There's the basic sensible point that women should be allowed to make their own decisions about their body. There's the basic sensible point that many people who are anti-abortion are also anti-contraception, and don't want women to even control their own sexuality.

But the most basic thing that anti-abortion people don't seem to grasp is this: If you allow a government to rule what happens to your body, it can go both ways. In other words, a government that has permission to forbid you to have an abortion, can also require you to have an abortion (as with China). One of the oddest things, for me, about Republicans is that they object to government interference with corporate greed, but they're fine with government interference with an individual's more personal decisions.
The babies are human beings . What about THEIR BODIES? HUH? They get slaughtered and thrown in the trash, a bucket to be exact! This goes beyond evil. Mommy doesn't want the baby throw it out. Oh did it get hurt? 14 days after conception, their heart is beating. This shouldn't even be argued it's so pathetic

Old 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And where do I sign up so I get to pick and choose what my tax dollars get spent on? Because I can tell you that I've got a long, long list of things I object to and don't want my money going towards. Why should this one particular medical procedure be an exception?
Good luck repealing the Hyde Amendment then. Videos of selling baby parts doesn't ingratiate the public to the cause.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is also a basic sensible point that no human should be allowed to harm another human, especially one that is defenseless. You can claim that an unborn child isn't a person until you turn blue in the face but that is just something we will have to disagree with. I don't know anyone who is anti-contraception but I don't believe anyone should be forced to fund contraception for someone else either. Wanting to protect the life of an unborn child isn't preventing a woman from controlling her own sexuality, it's just basic human decency.

Ok,

So if you're basing this argument on the premise that a woman owns her own body, and therefore she should not be forced to do something with it that she doesn't want to........

Does it not also stand to reason that if you own your own body, you should not be forced to provide your labor against your will?

Spoiler
but Liberals are just fine with forcing a baker to make a cake against his will

Old 01-23-2019, 05:31 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This isn't about my right to have an abortion, this is about protecting what I believe is a viable human life and yes it's based on opinion mixed in with some simple facts. I never claimed anyone was trying to force me to have an abortion, that's a stupid premise and isn't what we're talking about.

By the way, did you know that slavery, witch hunting and dumping nuclear waste in the ocean were all totally legal in earlier days too?
Well, it's unquestionably NOT a viable life, since it can't survive outside the womb. A friend of mine used to point out the hypocrisy of the Catholic church which, if I remember correctly, although it claims a fetus is sacred life, won't bury a miscarried fetus in consecrated ground. Sorry that you took my hypothetical example as a "stupid premise." I don't even know your gender. I expected you to understand my point that ANYONE WHO THINKS ABORTION IS IMMORAL DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

Yes, slavery, etc., were legal, but luckily we've moved on to what we hope are more enlightened times, which includes allowing women to choose what they do with their bodies.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
not with an individual, "just" with a woman's body. As the saying goes "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."
Millions of women are pro-life. If you go to a pro-life rally the vast majority of people there are women. These threads are a waste of time but I did want to note that the idea that the pro-life position is some position men made up is not true.

Susan B Anthony was pro-life.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:42 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Don’t you hate when the government intrudes upon your right to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies