U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:18 AM

48,165 posts, read 25,428,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I didn't grow up here, but I have to admit, some of the food is pretty bragworthy. Other than that...meh.
To me, the only place in the South where the food is unique is Louisiana. I can get soul food in Detroit or Chicago that matches the best southern cooking in the rest of those states.

Of course, some folks will mention BBQ, but thatís a canard. The best Q Iíve ever had was in Kansas City. Texas is decent but they really only standout when it comes to brisket. Everything else I can find in KC or St Louis with much better flavor.

So even their foods donít really set them apart very much from the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:30 AM

11,482 posts, read 3,209,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To me, the only place in the South where the food is unique is Louisiana. I can get soul food in Detroit or Chicago that matches the best southern cooking in the rest of those states.

Of course, some folks will mention BBQ, but that’s a canard. The best Q I’ve ever had was in Kansas City. Texas is decent but they really only standout when it comes to brisket. Everything else I can find in KC or St Louis with much better flavor.

So even their foods don’t really set them apart very much from the rest of the country.
I grew up about 50 miles from Kansas City, and the Q is good there, but I think it's better in Memphis. I will say that I never had grits, much less with shrimp, until I visited a friend in Charleston, and I love them now. I know there's good soul food to be had in lots of northern cities. In smaller towns, though...not so much.

In any case, I was kinda, you know...joking? (Not to mention trying to make the best of things while I'm here. I beg you, be merciful, and let me enjoy the silver linings I can find.)

Old Today, 04:11 AM

6,953 posts, read 11,873,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I didn't grow up here, but I have to admit, some of the food is pretty bragworthy. Other than that...meh.
The South is very unique and actually while I"m from Louisiana the South in general does have its own cuisine, culture, etc. We also have the Southern hospitality and friendliness which unfortunately is being diluted by transplants such as yourself. I've lived in the north too and its like night and day. We also have a focus on faith and family that is different than anywhere else in the nation.

Additionally the flag also represents standing up to an overreaching federal government as well and supporting states rights which even today are not respected, such as the government forcing abortion and Obamacare and gun control on us against our wishes. For example if we had our way here in Louisiana, abortion would be illegal here. Yet we have to live under Roe vs Wade.....and right now New York has already made clear it wants its partial birth abortion law allowing for abortion up until birth expanded across the country.

Old Today, 04:19 AM

14,527 posts, read 4,533,721 times
Without the internet no one would know about this moronic high school kid.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

11,482 posts, read 3,209,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The South is very unique and actually while I"m from Louisiana the South in general does have its own cuisine, culture, etc. We also have the Southern hospitality and friendliness which unfortunately is being diluted by transplants such as yourself. I've lived in the north too and its like night and day. We also have a focus on faith and family that is different than anywhere else in the nation.

Additionally the flag also represents standing up to an overreaching federal government as well and supporting states rights which even today are not respected, such as the government forcing abortion and Obamacare and gun control on us against our wishes. For example if we had our way here in Louisiana, abortion would be illegal here. Yet we have to live under Roe vs Wade.....and right now New York has already made clear it wants its partial birth abortion law allowing for abortion up until birth expanded across the country.
There are friendly people everywhere.

As for the "states' rights" argument, take it elsewhere, because I am not impressed. No state has the right to tell one person that he or she can own another. As for abortion, Obamacare, and gun control, that flag has nothing to do with any of those things, and we both know it.

Old Today, 09:23 AM
TKO

2,439 posts, read 2,904,478 times
Quote:
Iíve yet to have Southern Pride explained to me. Pride about what? Thereís nothing unique about the South.

So youíre from the South...AND???
Apparently proud of their traitorous ancestors and the way they got manipulated? Poor guys who were convinced by their economic betters to put their necks on the line so those betters could keep raking in the dough. I don't get it either. But it's awful similar to the way things are today on the right.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

43,410 posts, read 32,635,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is living proof that the "southern strategy" actually occurred. Here we have a kid who is more than likely a Trump supporter republican in training who wants to honor his dead racist democrat ancestors.
There are many brands of Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians.

The Southern Democrat was a powerful brand for decades. LBJ broke with the Southern Democrats on civil rights. The Republican Party use this and school busing to convert Southern Democrats to Republicans.

In 2005, then RNC Chairman apologized to the NAACP for exploiting racial tensions and use of fear to win elections.

I have no idea why this kid chose to wrap himself in a Confederate Flag beyond a likely intent to call attention to himself.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

43,410 posts, read 32,635,668 times
Quote:
Iíve yet to have Southern Pride explained to me. Pride about what? Thereís nothing unique about the South.

So youíre from the South...AND???
I donít understand the emotion of pride, especially when applied to persons, places, things, accomplishments unrelated to those expressing pride.

Regional pride?

National pride?

Politician pride?

Sport team pride?

School pride?

Historical pride?

In Judaism, pride is called the root of all evil.

Then thereís the ď pride goeth before a fallĒ thing.

Old Today, 09:59 AM

731 posts, read 406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Well stated.

Actually, very well stated.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

11,262 posts, read 7,951,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is living proof that the "southern strategy" actually occurred. Here we have a kid who is more than likely a Trump supporter republican in training who wants to honor his dead racist democrat ancestors.
Interesting considering the Republican's Southern Strategy resulted in the South becoming far less racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or