U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
 
8,360 posts, read 5,709,767 times
Reputation: 15556

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I hope this comment won't get me in trouble, I think this elderly gentleman approached the teenager first. He (the old man) was the one who started the trouble, it seems like.

I don't know why the media keeps on calling the teenager "racist."
If you watch the 1 hour plus video you will see a whole different picture of the incident.

You are 100% correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
 
8,360 posts, read 5,709,767 times
Reputation: 15556
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree. This story has consumed my social media pages. I am so wary of anything the media or our government says anymore, so I took it all with a grain of salt. I still don't know the whole story, but I do feel like the media and Hollywood is desperately trying to instigate a race war in this country.
The really sad thing is there was no school yesterday because of threats to the school.

There was a bomb threat at the Covington Diocese today

Families are receiving threats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
7,984 posts, read 2,130,041 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I hope this comment won't get me in trouble, I think this elderly gentleman approached the teenager first. He (the old man) was the one who started the trouble, it seems like.

I don't know why the media keeps on calling the teenager "racist."
It’s too good a story to pass up and confirms many biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
63,418 posts, read 32,022,255 times
Reputation: 13423
Stolen Valor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Houston
21,539 posts, read 11,026,678 times
Reputation: 8545
This is about the tenth thread on this subject many of the threads going on many pages and you wonder why the media stir up racial issues.

It ain’t to start a race war it’s to sell advertising.

We have found the source of the problem and it is us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:20 AM
 
7,724 posts, read 4,196,809 times
Reputation: 2941
Mistakes? Too funny. They correct them quietly too, don’t they? No screeching headlines, as in the origami reporting, no true humility and few employees disciplined for shabby at best ‘reportage’. Wapo is not some near sanctified news organization as you try to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
WaPo corrects their mistakes, as do all legitimate media sources.

Breitbart, Russia Today or Zero Hedge?

Not so much, unless the propaganda points of the day suddenly change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Richmond
1,557 posts, read 758,378 times
Reputation: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
WaPo with a correction?



Current temp in Hell: 32F
This was funny.


I have never liked stories about anyone claiming either military service when they did not serve, or combat service as in this case to claim combat action when in-fact they were not forward deployed.


My dad serviced in the Navy during the Cuban Missal Crisis, he was part of the Navy's Seabee's, the construction battalion of the Navy. He did not like where he was stationed at Guantanamo Bay, but My Dad was always proud of his service.


I tried to join both the Navy and the Air force when I was 19 going on 20. I got turned down by both services, for a severe case of flat feet; my feet are like skies they are so flat no arch at all.


So I have always had respect for those that serve in our armed forces. but not lying about their service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale
953 posts, read 453,495 times
Reputation: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Surprised this wasn't posted before. (Mod, if it was please move this to OP- I searched)

This is another example of the FAKE NEWS press. Thank God, the WP wrote a retraction, I didn't see any other references on Google other than blogs picking this up

This makes 2 FAKE NEWS stories on one event.

1st) the staring boy pic calling him everything but a girl. Almost all outlets claimed that these kids were yelling build that wall and other trash.

2) FAKE NEWS said the students surrounded Vietnam Vet Phillips, etc

Now we see this:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/lauret...m-vet-n2539669



The lib press will do anything. No fact checking!
I agree about the need for fact-checking. There is no need for conjecture.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/

As I understand it, Nathan never claimed to be a deployed Vietnam Veteran. He said he had served during the Vietnam Era but not in Vietnam itself. There was a Navy Seal who was trying to corroborate his service and posted some thoughts. Then that feed was found by the "Indian Times" and analyzed.
So, Nathan never said he served in Vietnam but the news incorrectly stated it as so. This inaccuracy has been used to attack his character.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

Like a lot of teenage Native Americans, Nathan had joined the USMC to escape the poverty and turmoil. US Military service has often been an avenue of escape from the sociological problems on a reservation.
The USMC had the Navajo code talkers in WWII. This link shows the history of many indigenous warriors in service of their country. It includes those KIA while in service.
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this.

Trump himself had suggested hope for some type of reconciliation. Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.

On my Catholic side, I know a lot of college students (e.g. FOCUS, Newman Center) go to the March-for-Life rally each January in DC. I have been to Mass at the large church near Catholic U. It's unfortunate that such a religious journey had to be disrupted by unforeseen complications. When I was just out of HS I did an internship with the federal government in California. A seasoned cop talked about dealing with protests and the things to expect. He made it very clear it was best just to stay away. One thing that stood out was his assertion that even if you know you're right, it's not going to be like a fair scholarly debate on a serious topic. It can just turn into pandemonium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:34 AM
Status: "individual1! individual1!" (set 18 hours ago)
 
27,677 posts, read 15,538,003 times
Reputation: 12980
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree about the need for fact-checking. There is no need for conjecture.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/na...etnam-veteran/

As I understand it, Nathan never claimed to be a deployed Vietnam Veteran. He said he had served during the Vietnam Era but not in Vietnam itself. There was a Navy Seal who was trying to corroborate his service and posted some thoughts. Then that feed was found by the "Indian Times" and analyzed.
So, Nathan never said he served in Vietnam but the news incorrectly stated it as so. This inaccuracy has been used to attack his character.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...UiwJPURPIlzxg/

Like a lot of teenage Native Americans, Nathan had joined the USMC to escape the poverty and turmoil. US Military service has often been an avenue of escape from the sociological problems on a reservation.
The USMC had the Navajo code talkers in WWII. This link shows the history of many indigenous warriors in service of their country. It includes those KIA while in service.
https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-war-1945.html

As for the Covington HS teens, I thought the threats against them were just unacceptable. As a Native American and devout Catholic, I think it's horrible the school had to be closed for a day due to security concerns. I hope they are able to move on from this.

Trump himself had suggested hope for some type of reconciliation. Nathan himself does not want the teens to be punished. He just suggested cultural sensitivity training which seems reasonable to me. They both claimed to be trying to just defuse the situation.

On my Catholic side, I know a lot of college students (e.g. FOCUS, Newman Center) go to the March-for-Life rally each January in DC. I have been to Mass at the large church near Catholic U. It's unfortunate that such a religious journey had to be disrupted by unforeseen complications. When I was just out of HS I did an internship with the federal government in California. A seasoned cop talked about dealing with protests and the things to expect. He made it very clear it was best just to stay away. One thing that stood out was his assertion that even if you know you're right, it's not going to be like a fair scholarly debate on a serious topic. It can just turn into pandemonium.
Can you do a creative apologist post on the black hebrew israelites next? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Houston
21,539 posts, read 11,026,678 times
Reputation: 8545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can you do a creative apologist post on the black hebrew israelites next? thanks in advance.
Only whites need sensitivity training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top