U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

5,091 posts, read 7,138,130 times

Advertisements

The shutdown is causing many government employees to seek other means for food, and other necessities.
I was watching a news clip a few minutes ago, and it caused me to stop and think, "something is really wrong in this country, and it goes much deeper than a government shutdown."

Why in a country so assuredly prosperous, would anyone who has gone without one week, or month's pay, need to get in a line for food handouts?
This is crazy.
What are these workers doing with their money?
Is it a case of not making enough money to sustain themselves, or is it most of them have overextended their financial abilities?
I would believe it is probably both.
I think it safe to say government workers are not working for minimum wage.

The problem can not be totally laid on the shutdown.
Why are these people not putting some funds aside as a cushion for events like shutdowns, or work stoppages?
Why does everyone feel they need to be in a new vehicle, max out their credit cards to just impress everyone else with their possessions?
These things drastically reduce the ability to put something aside for a rainy day.

During the Christmas shopping time, it was estimated over three billion dollars was spent on Christmas shopping.
Is it all that important to spend billion of dollars people do not have , just to make some other person feel good, about a gift that undoubtedly will keep the giver as a financial hostage to the banks, and credit card companies for an extended period of time?

Everyone, including these government workers need to assess their financial positions, and alter their thinking as it pertains to financial security.
There should be no need for government workers(or for that matter, most workers) to be relying on food lines by missing one payroll check.
This is absolutely absurd.

I have said it many times over the years, and in fact wrote a letter to President Reagan,years ago,regarding the free wielding of credit in this country.
I said then it was a recipe for disaster, and it is proving to be just that.
People are living way beyond their means, and presently it is like a disease that will never be cured.
Unfortunately these government workers are a true symbol of the problem, not a cure.
It is not the shutdown, it is something much, much worse, and one day it needs to be addressed.

Just a short note here that actually does a fair job of explaining the problem.

I remember years ago, one of my nieces (she was about five, or six at the time) was shopping with me, and my mother.
When my mother dug inside her pocketbook to pay cash for an item she was buying, the little niece told her(and I remember the words exactly) "gramma, you don't have to use money, just sign your name".
The niece was use to shopping with her mother, who always paid with a credit card for everything, and just signed her name.
This my friends is why many are in food lines today, because the financial institutions have made it extremely easy for people to live beyond their means.

Many, including me, are able to meet their financial obligations due to a couple of things.
One being a good income, and two, the ability to set some money aside for a rainy day.
Unfortunately for many others, this is not the case, and they are being strangled by credit card debt.
I would bet the farm, many, if not all of the these furloughed, government workers, have outstanding credit debt.

It appears from the news clip I saw, people are deciding between paying bills, and eating.
In this country that is absolutely preposterous.
The shutdown didn't help, but it is not, I repeat, not the true cause of the food lines we are seeing on the news.
The problem is a lot deeper than furloughed workers.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:21 AM

35,160 posts, read 13,434,416 times
Goody for you, Bob.

Old Today, 05:23 AM

As a nation, we are borrowing money every day to keep afloat. Deficit is on track to be over a trillion dollars per year.

And the people who are irresponsible are the those who use credit cards and don't have six months of liquid assets at their finger tips?

Hmmmm.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; Today at 06:40 AM..

Old Today, 05:58 AM

10,338 posts, read 13,250,688 times
Yet another person on the internet saying they are smarter/have more wisdom/etc ad infinitum when comparing themselves to someone in a different set of circumstances facing different challenges, etc. It's tiring.

I pay almost every bill with a credit card, get 2% back, and pay the bill off every month. So I must be some kind of damn genius....... No, actually, my wife and I both have good jobs and we are in the top 5%. We've had no major medical catastrophes in our family that have cause me to have to spend savings. I would not for second think to come on her and blame furloughed workers for any struggles they may face due to these circumstances. But there is a certain mindset among many people in the US that this seems to be their first step in the process. Some might call it a sickness or arrogance, or a lack of compassion. Or maybe it's just being a jerk.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,130,527 times
Great. Another person who wants to blame the worker.

Old Today, 06:29 AM

223 posts, read 60,573 times
Life happens. I rang in Jan. 2018 with double pneumonia and strep, which wiped out all of my sick leave and most of our flex spending in the first 2 weeks. One week later, my husband (and primary earner) lost his job. Thanks be to God that I carry our family's health insurance, so at least we were safe there, especially with 2 kids with special medical needs.

I became the sole wage earner for a family of six, including my elderly MIL. We tightened the belt and took the youngest out of daycare, delayed home and car repairs, etc. and were, fine thanks to being super frugal by nature, planning ahead, reducing retirement savings, etc.

It took him 9 months to find a job with a 30% paycut. We put our son back in daycare (>$2k just for month 1), and 7 weeks later the government shuts down. I'm a federal contractor, so no paycheck and no backpay.

So far, my salary has been cut 10% this year through no fault of my own. I cannot make that up. And that's assuming they open the government by Monday. Otherwise just keep adding a 2% loss every week they keep this going.

Life happens.

Old Today, 06:57 AM

Makes no difference if the employee is juggling their finances to pay for daycare, medical bills, expenses for elderly parents, ... and or has shoeboxes full of gold bullion to tide them over, they are hired and should be paid.

Period.

They should have known this would happen. Or, they should have savings to tide them over. Or any other "they should have's are all ridiculous nonsense.

They are employed. The should be paid.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; Today at 08:06 AM..

Old Today, 07:00 AM

1,631 posts, read 387,593 times
Time to find other work. Lots of ppl uber

Old Today, 07:18 AM

16,195 posts, read 13,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The shutdown is causing many government employees to seek other means for food, and other necessities.
I was watching a news clip a few minutes ago, and it caused me to stop and think, "something is really wrong in this country, and it goes much deeper than a government shutdown."

Why in a country so assuredly prosperous, would anyone who has gone without one week, or month's pay, need to get in a line for food handouts?
This is crazy.
What are these workers doing with their money?
Is it a case of not making enough money to sustain themselves, or is it most of them have overextended their financial abilities?
I would believe it is probably both.
I think it safe to say government workers are not working for minimum wage.

The problem can not be totally laid on the shutdown.
Why are these people not putting some funds aside as a cushion for events like shutdowns, or work stoppages?
Why does everyone feel they need to be in a new vehicle, max out their credit cards to just impress everyone else with their possessions?
These things drastically reduce the ability to put something aside for a rainy day.

During the Christmas shopping time, it was estimated over three billion dollars was spent on Christmas shopping.
Is it all that important to spend billion of dollars people do not have , just to make some other person feel good, about a gift that undoubtedly will keep the giver as a financial hostage to the banks, and credit card companies for an extended period of time?

Everyone, including these government workers need to assess their financial positions, and alter their thinking as it pertains to financial security.
There should be no need for government workers(or for that matter, most workers) to be relying on food lines by missing one payroll check.
This is absolutely absurd.

I have said it many times over the years, and in fact wrote a letter to President Reagan,years ago,regarding the free wielding of credit in this country.
I said then it was a recipe for disaster, and it is proving to be just that.
People are living way beyond their means, and presently it is like a disease that will never be cured.
Unfortunately these government workers are a true symbol of the problem, not a cure.
It is not the shutdown, it is something much, much worse, and one day it needs to be addressed.

Just a short note here that actually does a fair job of explaining the problem.

I remember years ago, one of my nieces (she was about five, or six at the time) was shopping with me, and my mother.
When my mother dug inside her pocketbook to pay cash for an item she was buying, the little niece told her(and I remember the words exactly) "gramma, you don't have to use money, just sign your name".
The niece was use to shopping with her mother, who always paid with a credit card for everything, and just signed her name.
This my friends is why many are in food lines today, because the financial institutions have made it extremely easy for people to live beyond their means.

Many, including me, are able to meet their financial obligations due to a couple of things.
One being a good income, and two, the ability to set some money aside for a rainy day.
Unfortunately for many others, this is not the case, and they are being strangled by credit card debt.
I would bet the farm, many, if not all of the these furloughed, government workers, have outstanding credit debt.

It appears from the news clip I saw, people are deciding between paying bills, and eating.
In this country that is absolutely preposterous.
The shutdown didn't help, but it is not, I repeat, not the true cause of the food lines we are seeing on the news.
The problem is a lot deeper than furloughed workers.

Bob.
TSA workers typically start at $25K

Not minimum wage, but not a lot better at $12/hr. While I am sure you could save milllions of dollars on that salary, the stupid and lazy (in your opinion not mine) government works are more likely to live paycheck to paycheck.

USCG is more like $50K for most of them. Supporting families on that should be fine by your standard.

On a side note, weird that you complained about people making accusations and assumptions without and proof and then you make a thread accusing government workers of being worse with their money than the general public, with no proof. Hypocritical wouldn't you say?

Old Today, 07:22 AM

16,195 posts, read 13,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Life happens. I rang in Jan. 2018 with double pneumonia and strep, which wiped out all of my sick leave and most of our flex spending in the first 2 weeks. One week later, my husband (and primary earner) lost his job. Thanks be to God that I carry our family's health insurance, so at least we were safe there, especially with 2 kids with special medical needs.

I became the sole wage earner for a family of six, including my elderly MIL. We tightened the belt and took the youngest out of daycare, delayed home and car repairs, etc. and were, fine thanks to being super frugal by nature, planning ahead, reducing retirement savings, etc.

It took him 9 months to find a job with a 30% paycut. We put our son back in daycare (>$2k just for month 1), and 7 weeks later the government shuts down. I'm a federal contractor, so no paycheck and no backpay.

So far, my salary has been cut 10% this year through no fault of my own. I cannot make that up. And that's assuming they open the government by Monday. Otherwise just keep adding a 2% loss every week they keep this going.

Life happens.
First, I am sorry that happened to you. Second, many government workers, like many people, met their spouses at work. That leads to a disproportionate number of them with NO income despite both parents being forced to work. Third, if they are deemed essential, they cannot collect unemployment, unlike you. So yes, while being a contractor has its own pitfalls, including no back pay, you can at least collect unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or