Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
not much different than Obama saying "want to go to college, get a federal loan, and we will forgive the loan"

another politician wanting control of the people through their wallets

ross is another life long democrat that invaded the republicans in 2016...He served under U.S. President Bill Clinton on the board of the U.S.–Russia Investment Fund....January 1998 he put $2.25 million in seed money into the campaign of his then-wife, Betsy McCaughey Ross, who was seeking the Democratic nomination for Governor of New York...Ross a registered Democrat, served as an officer of the New York State Democratic Party, and held fundraisers for Democratic candidates at his apartment in New York City
Obama promised loan forgiveness for SOME types of college loans when graduates worked in certain fields
Not for EVERY college loan recepient

Grandstanding statements like that which drift from the factual are a real problem
Plus the fact that Trump supporters always prefer to pull the Obama card which reflects an underlying racism agenda...

Ross and Trump were both registered Democrats because in THEIR state that was what paid benefits
Just proving they have no true party loyalties
Trump has shown he has nothing to do with the old-fashioned Republican history of anti-Soviet, fiscal conservative values
He is an opportunist--first, last, always
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Isn't he under investigation or indictment? Can't keep track of the Cabinet Swamp.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Total compensation is where that number is pulled (still way off) which is an irrelevant number in this situation. You don't pay rent with dental insurance or a car note with vision care. Can't feed kids with extra sick time. You need money, so no pay check, no rent money.

I never realized how jealous private sector employees are of those government benefits. In truth the private sector employees get the same benefits (I do) in many cases and that is the secret that no one talks about. We are only screwing the middle to lower middle class here. And when I say middle class I am talking $60K+ annual, lower than that and you are not middle class. The rest of us get the better health benefits, retirement, vacation time, stock options, partner options ect.
The same people who are happy to see Federal workers in peril for something they have NOTHING to do with---
This is not a job stoppage like the early air traffic controllers tried with Reagan
This is not a sickout they are trying to get raises or other benefits
This isn't a lawsuit like the immigration judges have filed...

They are VICTIMS of Trump's tactic to get HIS base to back him in 2020...
This is a campaign tactic--not a government policy or even a CONGRESSIONAL budget argument
Remember the Senate passed and the House was prepared to pass the same bill to fund this area of government before Ann Coulter, Limbaugh, and other rabid alt-right talking heads scared Trump out of his inertia
This has NOtHING to do with government policy and everything to do with a screaming fanatical faction that has Trump== and thus bottom feeders that need his support==scared of negative PR...

There are so many people who claim to hate the Federal government and its programs until they need them
And then they better show up ASAP

I imagine there will come a crisis that can be directly attributed to this crisis

And in the mean time plenty of news is focused on THIs vs other problems like Trump pulling back sanctions on Derapaska's aluminum business

Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
These are federal employees. Federal employees average 50% higher incomes. Normally one does not get the coveted federal job right out of college so we assume most have been working for some time. I'm sure each has a unique situation but generally people in that position are not just out of college with nothing.

Some of us know exactly (I can go toe to toe with you on hard time stories) thats why we learn to start building that nest egg.

No one is saying its their fault. I blame congress.
A lot of these employees aren't making high incomes, 2mares. Many of them are people like janitors and other contract type workers. I'm not going to cry over some guy who makes 150k a year missing a few paychecks, because they can weather it. A large % of these people who aren't working likely can't.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:12 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
A lot of these employees aren't making high incomes, 2mares. Many of them are people like janitors and other contract type workers. I'm not going to cry over some guy who makes 150k a year missing a few paychecks, because they can weather it. A large % of these people who aren't working likely can't.
And not just federal workers, this is true of the majority of middle class workers, who have seen their wages stagnate for decades while the cost of everything else goes up. But you're wasting your breath trying to convince that poster of that reality. She doesn't buy that not everyone can do it. They're just not trying.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its not too hard to ask. Is it too hard for a month, two months, three months. Just baby steps? If it will prevent you from being in dire straights if you miss a paycheck?

“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

You have outline why people cant have a months salary in the bank: should we drive an old car. Shop at thrift stores, eat out, go to the movies, go on vacation. Yes. For a while you can drive the older paid off car, trade in you 2018 450$/month car. You can shop at thrift store, wal mart, even goodwill (I wont though, that place smells funny). You can eat cheap meals at home, rent a Redbox, tuck away that one vacation budget. Not forever, long enough to save up a few months salary.

It is harder today than it was in our parents day for sure even though we make more money.
For the record I never said every must or everyone should. Regardless of getting spanked, I stick with my opinion that it would good if people did have that little safety net, and that it is attainable. The bad situation the federal employees are going through now brings it home.
You’re missing my point a bit though. For me, it’s not too much to ask. We already live fairly modestly anyway (we only have ever brought used cars for instance, and almost all the kids clothes come from consignment shops or from discounts at places like JC Penney, both go to schools that require uniforms, the kids pack lunches, etc). Plus I started with a cushion that has helped us absorb unexpected car repairs and the like.

What I’m saying is, it’s tight for US and we do okay, so I know it’s tight for people who make less. And most people make less. So I’m not so quick to say what people should have done, because I know how expensive it is to raise kids these days, and I know a lot of people are already operating with very little wiggle room... constantly juggling bills, always only one step ahead.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And not just federal workers, this is true of the majority of middle class workers, who have seen their wages stagnate for decades while the cost of everything else goes up. But you're wasting your breath trying to convince that poster of that reality. She doesn't buy that not everyone can do it. They're just not trying.
Exactly. Everyone should just shut up and drive a jalopy (that will likely cost money in repairs when they inevitably break down, because that is what cheap POS cars do), eat ramen noodles, live in a 1 bedroom apartment in the worst part of town (even if they have kids to worry about), shut off their cell service (which is not something most people can do, let's be honest here), freeze in the winter or burn in the summer by not using any AC or heat, have no TV or internet, and never leave their house or buy anything....

The thing the poster is missing here, is that people who have had emergencies in the past and are still paying those off (like my old medical bills that cost us WAY to much, or a car accident, home emergency or whatever), or student loans they can't pay off because the wages for a new grad simply aren't enough to pay them off quickly, or the ones who have kids likely can't do those things. It's living in a fantasy world to think so. I mean, would you want your kids living in some squalid apartment, or your wife driving around in a car that isn't at least somewhat reliable, just so you could scrape together a few months worth of savings? Just isn't a viable option for a lot of people, regardless off what 2mares of Ramsey says.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
A bit of googling...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex.../#3904c975155d

Being insulted by this lying POS is probably a compliment.
Quite a damning indictment. Liars and thieves do, indeed, flock together. Trump only associates with the best people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I agree with your sentiments. From what I have seen in the media, anyone that suggests these government workers should have some savings to fall back on are getting pilloried. I have compassion for their plight, and do hope this will be a lesson learned for all workers and not just government they they need to to put a little aside for a rainy day--even if its $10 a pay!

A woman on TV working for 30 years at a DC museum said she has no money for food and can't pay bills. I was shocked that someone so close to retirement had not managed to save anything in 30 years!

Living paycheck to paycheck is risky but sadly the norm these days.
The issue with many of these workers is they are also supporting their grown kids and their grandchildren. Of course, in a perfect world, no one would have children outside a two parent household and certainly not until there is enough money in the bank. But, we don't live in a perfect world.

I've always planned ahead, only had one child because that's all I could afford. I always considered the terrible worst case scenario - kept to a strict budget - made sure I had an emergency fund or easily available credit - and have never found myself without money.

But that's me - and I'm in the minority. And I worked and raised my child in a very different time.

And, these days, there are still people working for the govt earning only $10/hr. How much realistically can that person be expected to save - TODAY?

All that said, NO GOVERNMENT WORKER should ever believe he wouldn't be paid. The private sector is one thing - but government - not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Food banks don't pay the rent or the car loan or the electric bill or put gas in their car. Yes, they are being, punished by this president, who doesn't give a fig about any of them.

If you want to carry Trump's water on this because you believe it's their own fault for not being prepared to go without a paycheck, as 78 percent of Americans are not, go for it. But don't be upset to be called out for it.
Why should anyone be required to BORROW MONEY to pay for food? That's insane. These people already have no cushion. Where are they going to find the extra money to pay interest on these loans - that is if they can even get them.

As atrocious as Ross's comments on borrowing are, he said another thing immediately after that even more significant - and which I can't forget:
- that the lack of spending of 800,000 workers would be an insignificant hit to the economy - i.e., nothing to worry about.
As if the REAL ISSUE is the impact on the economy - not the worker and his family. I'm sure that's the soothing narrative he's feeding Trump.

These fatcats are just gross.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-24-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 04:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
You’re missing my point a bit though. For me, it’s not too much to ask. We already live fairly modestly anyway (we only have ever brought used cars for instance, and almost all the kids clothes come from consignment shops or from discounts at places like JC Penney, both go to schools that require uniforms, the kids pack lunches, etc). Plus I started with a cushion that has helped us absorb unexpected car repairs and the like.

What I’m saying is, it’s tight for US and we do okay, so I know it’s tight for people who make less. And most people make less. So I’m not so quick to say what people should have done, because I know how expensive it is to raise kids these days, and I know a lot of people are already operating with very little wiggle room... constantly juggling bills, always only one step ahead.
Considering that 80% of Americans are one paycheck away from disaster - I think it's safe to assume some of our conservative posters would be in the very same boat and screaming their heads off.

I've worked in Corp America for 30 years and yes, I have given them plenty of my free time, but I have never gone a month without receiving a paycheck.

The tone deafness of the ancient billionaire, Ross, is just what happens when you stack your Cabinet with Goldman-Sachs. Which is exactly what Trump did and promised he would not.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:32 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Ross is brilliant in economics and trade, stay in your lane bro
I have to question his brilliance as he forgot the fact that his boss, Donald Trump, cannot get a loan from a bank in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies