Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So you consider the many, many mass shootings merely "sad events"? Seriously?

And when a politician makes a point of saying it after another mass shooting they make it political. They'd be better off saying nothing at all if they have no intention of addressing the problem.
No they don't but your mental gymnastics are noted.

You make it political and even explained your sound reasoning. Ready?
Quote:
And when a politician makes a point of saying it after another mass shooting they make it political.
No that's you making it political.

Awaits buzzphrase loaded emotional tirade feeble attempts at insulting and faux outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:48 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
prayers are not a bad thing, many on this forum clearly need them as well.
If only they were helping with the crisis of mass shootings we have in this country. But they're not.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
No, it isn't, because it's insincere. If they really cared about people these elected officials would address the problem. Thoughts and prayers is a cop out. They say it and then walk away and ignore the ongoing carnage...until it happens again. When they give their insincere "thoughts and prayers" platitudes again, and then walk away and ignore the ongoing carnage...until it happens again.

Rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Meanwhile, the carnage continues...
Great. So when are you going to start addressing the issue of mental illness? When will you vote to get these people off the streets and back in asylums where they can get the help they need? Have you made any posts or threads about that? If so, please direct me to them. If not, then you bleating about someone's condolences on a forum does nothing, either.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Blah! Guns aren’t going anywhere and mass shootings will continue as long as you have mentally ill people.
Succinct and sadly accurate.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is this all our lawmakers can do to protect us because is doesn't seem to be working?

Thoughts and prayers, done!

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...er/2661840002/
Here's the thing. People are not going to say "Sorry another lunatic shot someone, please take my guns as a symbol of my compassion for the suffering of these innocent people and their families." People send out "thoughts and prayers" because they feel a sense of compassion for these people, and also because they know there isn't much else they can do. I mean, other than just giving up their personal right to own a firearm, which seems to be what some of you expect them to do.

I'm sorry, but things happen every day to good people, and I wish I could do something to help them or ease their suffering. But more often than not, there is simply nothing I can do but offer my condolences and a helping hand should they need it. If my child was hit by a car, and people were sending me messages which included "thoughts and prayers", I'm pretty sure I wouldn't tell them to stuff their "thoughts and prayers" and instead demand they start walking to work and get rid of their cars. That would be a ridiculous request. And just as ridiculous would be expecting the 99% of gun owners who are responsible with their weapons and not a threat to society, to turn over their weapons after every tragedy involving a firearm happens.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Here's the thing. People are not going to say "Sorry another lunatic shot someone, please take my guns as a symbol of my compassion for the suffering of these innocent people and their families." People send out "thoughts and prayers" because they feel a sense of compassion for these people, and also because they know there isn't much else they can do. I mean, other than just giving up their personal right to own a firearm, which seems to be what some of you expect them to do.

I'm sorry, but things happen every day to good people, and I wish I could do something to help them or ease their suffering. But more often than not, there is simply nothing I can do but offer my condolences and a helping hand should they need it. If my child was hit by a car, and people were sending me messages which included "thoughts and prayers", I'm pretty sure I wouldn't tell them to stuff their "thoughts and prayers" and instead demand they start walking to work and get rid of their cars. That would be a ridiculous request. And just as ridiculous would be expecting the 99% of gun owners who are responsible with their weapons and not a threat to society, to turn over their weapons after every tragedy involving a firearm happens.
Binary false choice: either thoughts and prayers or turn over your guns.

How about doing more about the mental health problem in our country?

How about legislation and enforcement to keep guns out or hands of those who would do harm to others?

How about research into technology that allows a gun to fire only when the owner is handling it?

Has the NRA convinced so many that we are helpless other than wishing thoughts and prayers?

Do we have to endure the carnage from the other 1% who walks freely with weapons that can kill unsuspecting and ambushed children, mothers, fathers, and police officers?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
"Thoughts and prayers" has become the gun lovers' code for, "Oh, well, get used to the carnage, because we fully intend to do NOTHING about it. Have a nice day!"
...and build that damn wall!

Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
...and build that damn wall!
Perhaps it would be sufficient that the CR bill include thoughts and prayers that Mexico will pay for that wall.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
Quote:
No, it isn't, because it's insincere. If they really cared about people these elected officials would address the problem. Thoughts and prayers is a cop out. They say it and then walk away and ignore the ongoing carnage...until it happens again. When they give their insincere "thoughts and prayers" platitudes again, and then walk away and ignore the ongoing carnage...until it happens again.

Rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Meanwhile, the carnage continues...
^100%!

The empty Thoughts N’ Prayers is worse than doing nothing. Just turn your backs to the carnage without saying anything. At least, at that point, you’re being sincere.

Build that wall!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,271,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

Great post! Compassion is the key word here and browsing through this thread makes me realize how many people are lacking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies