Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:24 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If I wasn't clear, this is about pollution. Not global warming. And I'm specifically referring to voluntary actions, not mandates or taxation.

Not sure why I expected any reasonable responses though, so whatever.
this isn't difficult. start by picking up your trash. i dont just mean throw your garbage out on the curb and go back to the couch. if you see trash blowing around dont be a lazy bum, pick it up. go to any neighborhood on a windy day and you will find trash blowing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:27 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
heres another one. if your skinny jeans aren't really dirty from a night out at the local coffee bar, don't wash them. you can wear clothes more than once if they aren't dirty. it saves on water and electricity.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
If I wasn't clear, this is about pollution. Not global warming. And I'm specifically referring to voluntary actions, not mandates or taxation.

I think we already have the right amount of pollution... at least "I" have the right amount of pollution in "MY" yard. That's why I've been throwing my beer cans and other trash in my neighbor's yards. Heck, I even run over to my fence and lean my rear against it if I had chili dogs for lunch. Don't want THAT pollution in "MY" yard.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:34 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:

You have to start by defining what is pollution?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
this isn't difficult. start by picking up your trash. i dont just mean throw your garbage out on the curb and go back to the couch. if you see trash blowing around dont be a lazy bum, pick it up. go to any neighborhood on a windy day and you will find trash blowing around.

I used to do a lot camping as in walk out into the woods and camp. Always brought our trash home with us, typically other peoples trash too. We had a spot on private land and the owner showed up one day, he knew were going there and finally "caught" us. He was happy to have use there because in his words the place was spotless when we left.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
My opinion, for those who are dumb enough to think carbon dioxide (food for plants) is a dangerous greenhouse gas and also for those who would want me to live in a smaller house or in some other manner cut back on my EARNED and PURCHASED lifestyle, they should take the first step toward making this a better planet by stop exhaling.
Maybe?
Do you believe in homeostasis?
Depends on what laws of nature you want to look at for guidance.

I ask because the easiest example of natural law is our body.
Humans and plants need substances to stay alive, agree?
We use: Fats, carbohydrates, proteins, and a combination of electrolytes ect.
Any of these items in excess can lead to death therefore most mechanisms in the body focus on keeping a balance.

Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, liver disease are all mainly caused by excessive intake of a substance (fat, carbs) or a lack of elimination from the system (excess fluid, sodium or potassium shifts).

So I would argue that yes it would seem to matter, because when nature has to choose how to manage a problem, nature seems like the killing humans option.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
heres another one. if your skinny jeans aren't really dirty from a night out at the local coffee bar, don't wash them. you can wear clothes more than once if they aren't dirty. it saves on water and electricity.

Says the person who doesn't understand how an electric grid works. Choosing to not run the wash machine on any given day does NOT save electricity. It merely saves on your cost of electricity because you didn't consume that portion of what the grid MUST supply anyway.

Until the masses start seriously lowering their electric usage, there will NOT be any reduced production of electricity. Smart metering, as much as I despise it because it has been used as an excuse to bill higher amounts per kwh used during peak load periods, were the most beneficial addition to the electric grid as they collectively are able to tell electric utilities just how much electricity is being consumed in pretty close to real time intervals. These devices have aided electric utilities to tweak their generation output, but the amounts are really insignificant because the grid must still be capable of handling the load of air conditioners and furnaces, refrigerators and freezers, etc., as well as other heavy load devices that turn on and off intermittently.

What many people don't comprehend with an electric grid is, unlike a water supply system where a water tower can STORE water, electricity produced and not consumed is not stored. It is either produced and is there for consumption or it is not produced and is not available. Nothing in a light switch or a washing machine contacts the electric utility, informing them of the desire to utilize an amount of electricity, causing the utility to "ramp up" its production for the upcoming reported demand.

ALL electricity that is produced and not consumed when it is produced is waste. There are teams of highly trained and extremely intelligent engineers who manage the electric grids, trying to come up with the best possible balance of electric production, without letting the load consumed to be greater than the amount produced as this would cause a ripple effect of a collapsing grid where very large substation breakers start opening in order to protect the transformers and other extremely expensive equipment in the substation and generation plants.

So in reality, choosing whether or not to wash the skinny jeans or even to turn off the lights in a room where they aren't being used is only a consideration of cost to the end consumer. It will NOT save electricity.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:40 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_referee View Post
says the person who doesn't understand how an electric grid works. Choosing to not run the wash machine on any given day does not save electricity. It merely saves on your cost of electricity because you didn't consume that portion of what the grid must supply anyway.

Until the masses start seriously lowering their electric usage, there will not be any reduced production of electricity. Smart metering, as much as i despise it because it has been used as an excuse to bill higher amounts per kwh used during peak load periods, were the most beneficial addition to the electric grid as they collectively are able to tell electric utilities just how much electricity is being consumed in pretty close to real time intervals. These devices have aided electric utilities to tweak their generation output, but the amounts are really insignificant because the grid must still be capable of handling the load of air conditioners and furnaces, refrigerators and freezers, etc., as well as other heavy load devices that turn on and off intermittently.

What many people don't comprehend with an electric grid is, unlike a water supply system where a water tower can store water, electricity produced and not consumed is not stored. It is either produced and is there for consumption or it is not produced and is not available. Nothing in a light switch or a washing machine contacts the electric utility, informing them of the desire to utilize an amount of electricity, causing the utility to "ramp up" its production for the upcoming reported demand.

All electricity that is produced and not consumed when it is produced is waste. There are teams of highly trained and extremely intelligent engineers who manage the electric grids, trying to come up with the best possible balance of electric production, without letting the load consumed to be greater than the amount produced as this would cause a ripple effect of a collapsing grid where very large substation breakers start opening in order to protect the transformers and other extremely expensive equipment in the substation and generation plants.

So in reality, choosing whether or not to wash the skinny jeans or even to turn off the lights in a room where they aren't being used is only a consideration of cost to the end consumer. It will not save electricity.
p = v * i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies