Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this emergency order?
Yes 105 44.87%
No 129 55.13%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And they don't care about a wall or he'd have gotten his wall money when the Rs controlled both chambers of Congress, eh?

Oh my God! This has been explained over and over in here just like Mexico paying for the wall yet the parrots come out of the wall asking the same old questions and making the same lame comments over and over in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I dunno about you, but I would try for what I wanted when I had less opposition, not more.

He's playing his supporters, don't you see this?

Obama was also playing his supporters with DACA many of whom were Hispanics. See how that works?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
According to CNN (keep the source in mind) the White House is drafting a proclamation to declare a national emergency along the southern border, which includes $7 billion in potential funds for a border wall.
White House preparing national emergency order - includes $7 billion for the wall

The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

According to options being considered, the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds, the official said.

{More at the link}
It should be obvious after the two defeated proposals in the Senate today that Congress has reached an impasse. We have seen the caravans coming up from Central America and the Democrats and the media all but rooting them on to come on in.

This must stop. Ideally, Congress would stop the obstruction and allow the border wall construction to begin. When Obama was president, the Republicans gave him his funding for Obamacare and his other pet issues when the Republicans had the votes to block it. Now the Democrats are not willing to compromise in the same way.

To use Obama's words, "We cannot wait". OK then. Obama set the precedent. Between the emergency at the Southern border and this partial government shutdown that does not have an end in sight, it is necessary for someone to end this. Now is the time.
Meh. Five minutes later there will be a court casing challenging it and it’ll get tied up for years in court and ultimately go no where.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh my God! This has been explained over and over in here just like Mexico paying for the wall yet the parrots come out of the wall asking the same old questions and making the same lame comments over and over in here.
Maybe those of us who raise those points aren't parrots but we simply aren't fooled by con artists like Trump.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 PM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If this stands, no one can complain when a Democrat president decides to declare a national emergency over climate change, or income inequality, or... Well, the list goes on. Be careful what you wish for!

Gun violence is a national emergency per the AMA. Will that mean the next Democrat president will feel emboldened to declare a state of emergency and order the military to search homes and seize guns? It is a rather slippery slope with these national emergencies.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Wow, if polls are actually worth considering, I'd say this one says it all. As of right now, this poll is exactly 50/50. Perhaps this country truly is divided right down the middle. That does not bode well for the future of our nation.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump looks to usurp the powers of congress which must appropriate funding. The right lauds this as they enjoy seeing the constitution trampled to suit their desires.

You mean like how Obama usurped the powers of congress on immigration matters and gave the DACAs and the DAPAs a stay of deportation along with work permits by EO? You mean like that?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trump will steal money and there will be no wall...this is what he does. Wake the ef up!

Can't rep you,but you are one of the few who get it!!!!!

The others see him as a god like figure-----must be his h a ircut,suit,over extended red tie and mostly HIS THIRD GRADE LANGUAGE SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (SORRY THIRD GRADERS)

Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, an Obama deflection when caught dead,typical.
No deflection a statement of fact. Why do you suddenly care? It goes to credibility. I detest Trump and detest waste. What I want to know is why those on the left suddenly have an issue with waste after they cheered Obama as he doubled our debt.. I know I know, but but Bush. The Website for the unaffordable care act cost over 2 billion tax dollars.

The hypocrisy from both sides is staggering. How can you even pretend at this point?
You cheer for Pelosi when she is absolutely 1 of the reasons why DC is so dysfunctional. Every career politician in office for more than 20 years is guilty.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We need enhanced border security, which a wall isn't. Why don't we use available 21st century technology, instead of 4th century technology? I'm pretty sure $7,000,000,000 is not going to be enough to fully fund a wall. And what kind of wall are we talking about? Where will the money be coming from?

The boots on the ground aka the Border Patrol would disagree with you. Do you know better than them? Why don't we tear down all the walls on our homes and businesses since according to you they don't work? I have posted several links proving that the good barriers in place already have been very effective in deterring illegal entry. We tried high tech stuff years ago and it failed so it was scrapped. The entire 700 miles is estimated to cost $25 billion that's a lot cheaper than the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us. Where have you been? For weeks now Trump has been agreeing with the Border Patrol that the high see thru steel slatted walls/barriers are the most effective.

Were you concerned about where the money would be coming from back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed and it was to be soley the taxpayer to fund it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies