Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Somebody posted an article yesterday about how great walls are. Turned out to be, if you read the article, that they do not work. Showed pictures of people climbing over them, tunneling under them. Sure walls in the olden days kind of worked because the guards killed the people who tried to scale them.

We are not in favor of murder. We need a variety of things--fences, border guards, technology, etc. And don't forget, Liberals want this too. We don't want illegals coming in when we don't even know who they are, what they intend to do.

Those aren't the good physical barriers that are being climbed over or tunneled under. Congress renigited on their promise to build them but erected mostly flimsy fencing instead. Trump wants to correct that.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Border wall may not work to serve its purpose. Because, it costs too much. House wall is not a good analogy to national border wall. The difference is in size, cost and who will pay for it.

You know better than the Border Patrol and Homeland security that state that the good walls do work and are necessary? I have posted several links proving it also. Costs too much? A wall at $25 billion costs more than the over $100 billion a year that illegal immigrations costs us? The wall bill was passed back in 2006 and it was to be the taxpayer to fund it. Were you mad about it then?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
How many crossed the Berlin wall? Not too many. Probably less overall than those who successfully cross our border in a week. And these are resourceful Germans.
So are you saying you'd like to model our country after a hardline Communist dictatorship? I wish more supporters of the wall would show their true colors like this and stop beating around the bush. "The wall" is just a symbol for the right-wing police state that deep down they really favor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...he_Berlin_Wall
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40200305

Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Like another poster mentioned, E-verify would work. I'm all for that. I'm all for a wall as well. They absolutely do work. People, do some research. Don't believe what Schumer and Pelosi are spewing. As a matter of fact Schumer was all about a wall years ago.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...125-story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/586853001/

https://www.voanews.com/a/wall-alrea...r/3428323.html

Border wall completed in '09 , crime dropped in the following years...coincidence ?
Nogales crime down, though city still fighting 'dangerous' perception

Anything that can help these agents is worth it.
https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall...ico/633139001/

Old 01-25-2019, 09:48 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
I dunno. How many crossed the Berlin wall?
The obvious difference is that Berlin wall was so short it had guard towers every few hundred yards.

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Like another poster mentioned, E-verify would work. I'm all for that. I'm all for a wall as well. They absolutely do work. People, do some research. Don't believe what Schumer and Pelosi are spewing. As a matter of fact Schumer was all about a wall years ago.
Violent crime has fallen in most of the country. It wasn't because of a short stretch of a wall.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-all-time-low

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The vast majority are coming for jobs. Seems we are OK with that.
Two-thirds end up on public assistance, so actually the majority leech off you and I. I am not sure anymore the modern day liberal wants boarder security. Where is the proof they do? All I see is identity politics.

I just want a secure boarder. I don’t care how it is done, period. If walls work build one. If it takes a wall combined with other tech, awesome. If high tech alone is best, let’s get to it. If it takes more agents or even the military presence I am fine with that too. Let’s stop the flow of drugs, human trafficking and illegals up to no good from coming in our country. Then we can focus on granting asylum and maybe citizenship to those who truly need and deserve it.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I saw this video played on Fox and Friends the other day

https://www.kgun9.com/border-watch/v...r-wall-in-yuma

Night-vision video surveillance cameras detected a large number of people climbing over a border wall in Arizona. All were promptly arrested.

The Trump-loving show hosts stated that the wall slowed the migrants down, thus "walls work". Talk about spin!

What the video clearly shows is that the wall did not stop these people from crossing the border. What did stop them was video surveillance. If we spent $5 billion on advanced monitoring technologies I'm sure we would stop more migrants than a wall costing $25 billion. But what really got me was how Faux News tried to spin the story to support the conclusion they favor.
All of them got caught BECAUSE of the wall... How many would be caught without a wall? You don't have to be bright to figure out walls work... How many are deterred because the walls are too high? Do you see any 5 year olds scaling that wall?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Two-thirds end up on public assistance, so actually the majority leech off you and I. I am not sure anymore the modern day liberal wants boarder security. Where is the proof they do? All I see is identity politics.
Just because you are on public assistance (and the fact is the majority DO NOT qualify for public assistance) does not mean you are not working.

So they get offered jobs because the employer knows that they will work for sub minimum wage and lousy conditions while keeping their mouths shut. They find a little help here and there to make ends meet. Who exactly here is abusing the system?

Quote:
I just want a secure boarder. I don’t care how it is done, period. If walls work build one. If it takes a wall combined with other tech, awesome. If high tech alone is best, let’s get to it. If it takes more agents or even the military presence I am fine with that too. Let’s stop the flow of drugs, human trafficking and illegals up to no good from coming in our country. Then we can focus on granting asylum and maybe citizenship to those who truly need and deserve it.
All well and good but no one is mentioning the problem above. No one. You do not get a voice.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post

This at least is a logical plan, unlike the sea-sea physical barrier proponents.

Your justification though is another straw-man. Most people want border security, across the entire political spectrum. It's just that most people don't view it as a crisis or the most urgent issue of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies