Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Labor Unions be taxed like a business is?
Yes: Pay their Fair Share! 56 65.88%
Kind of: They should pay more, but not quite as much as a business. 2 2.35%
No: Leave Unions with their special privileges! 27 31.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have belonged to both private and public sector unions. In my opinion both are needed and valuable.
I wouldn't necessarily argue that public sector unions aren't needed, but they need to be reformed. As it stands, they are a kickback scheme. Their bosses ultimately are elected politicians. If I went to my boss and said, 'boss give me a $10,000 raise, and I'll kick back $5K to you,' we would both be fired and perhaps prosecuted if found out. But this is basically how public sector unions operate.

This is why you get cops and teachers accused of sex crimes going on 'paid administrative leave' for a year. The pub unions have so much juice that they are able to negotiate such things in their CBAs. In any private sector union contract I've ever seen, there is no such thing as 'paid administrative leave.' This is why you get scams like 'retire/rehire' in public sector employment.

IMO this has been the ruination of law enforcement and education since around 1970, when pub sector unionism began to ramp up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Your history on this thread...

(1) Denied the fact that some unions own their own health insurance provider that gets a monopoly and overcharges. Ignore the topic of the thread of whether or not unions should be taxes.

(2) When proven wrong refuses to comment on the topic at hand and makes a second false assumption that it only happened in Wisconsin where it recently ended. Ignore the topic of the thread of whether or not unions should be taxes.

(3) When proven that it still happens all over still refuses to make a comment on whether or not these healthcare monopolies that overcharge the government should exist. Ignore the topic of the thread of whether or not unions should be taxes.

(4) When called out for making multiple false assumptions and then dodging a discussion on the topic...you lash out with more false assumptions that I think all unions are bad and Trump is good.

Why don't you have the intellectual capacity to discuss this topic? Why must you always lash out with false assumptions and then run away from any discussion of merit on the topic at hand.

What do you get from message boards being as closed minded of a person as you are?

P.S. Thank you for helping me keep this topic at the forefront.

I know a lot about the history of unions actually.

#1 I don't dispute that unions did great and necessary things in the late 1800s and into the 1900s.

#2 I don't dispute that they have a legal right to exist and still can do great things today and in the future.

#3 I am arguing that Unions should be taxed, just as others want the church taxed.

#4 I am also arguing on a side topic that unions need to evolve and fix their significant problems...which I have already mentioned.

By way of admission #1 unions did great things in the late 1800's and into the 1900s , I will add that they
continue to do great things while taking beatings. They supply employment for the impoverished. They are continuoulsy involved in educating,charity events and betterment of city infrastructure. Union skilled are highly trained professionals and are out bid by non union contractors and illegal immigrants. Building are being raised by unskilled workers lacking the proper safety training. The Union Trades have lost a large number of its membership over the years due to such practices.

When you buy a union product you are going to pay.
It is like comparing something purchased from a high end store to the same thing purchased from the 99 cent store.
Just because it is cheaper does not mean it is better and in terms of safety I would rather live in a building that was constructed by professionally trained, licensed and English speaking union labor than one constructed by non union,
unskilled, unlicensed and non English speaking labor. Lack of skills and language barriers are a recipe for disaster.

Please retrain your thoughts as to why the unions are continuously under attack for your own safety.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I wouldn't necessarily argue that public sector unions aren't needed, but they need to be reformed. As it stands, they are a kickback scheme. Their bosses ultimately are elected politicians. If I went to my boss and said, 'boss give me a $10,000 raise, and I'll kick back $5K to you,' we would both be fired and perhaps prosecuted if found out. But this is basically how public sector unions operate.

This is why you get cops and teachers accused of sex crimes going on 'paid administrative leave' for a year. The pub unions have so much juice that they are able to negotiate such things in their CBAs. In any private sector union contract I've ever seen, there is no such thing as 'paid administrative leave.' This is why you get scams like 'retire/rehire' in public sector employment.

IMO this has been the ruination of law enforcement and education since around 1970, when pub sector unionism began to ramp up.
I've never seen any public employee accused of sex crimes put on administrative leave for a year, but I've seen private employers retain criminals and sex offenders when it suits them. As far as union influence elected politicians, sure to some extent but their competition - dark money legalized under citizens united has a far greater influence.

I would like to see all lobbying stopped, we should publicly fund campaigns and not allow any campaign contributions. And we should reduce the campaign period to 60 days rather than have it drag on for a year. What we have now is crazy and serves no one well

Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM

26,467 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Private unions in right to work states can't require that employees pay dues.
And they have for years until that justice was done in some states.

Democrats and their unions are actively trying to repeal these laws in the states they are in so they can coerce more money from paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies