Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh well...the few bad apples have cost the taxpayers a mint once again.

Evanston, Illinois (a place near and dear to my heart for family reasons) police acted on a tip from an observer that this guy was stealing a car. Turns out the guy was just trying to fix some door moulding when the cops arrived SWAT style and took him down in brutal fashion. Brutal enough to cost the city over a million bucks. SMH

The female caller (who called the cops) says that she wasn’t racially profiling the guy, but who knows. One thing is for sure...this guy, who was an engineering doctoral student won’t need to worry about cash for a while. He’ll probably put a half a mil in his pocket after paying taxes and his lawyer. Nice.

https://dailyjournalonline.com/news/...7eb47.amp.html
You would love my buddies Youtube Channels
NEWS NOW HOUSTON
San Juaquin Valley Transparency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How about "he shouldn't be expecting any better from the Chicago metro"?

Heck, CPD put an entire clip into Laquan McDonald and then tried to cover the whole thing up.

Then everyone involved in the cover-up from the beat cops up through the Rahm Emanuel administration all got away with it with the exception of the guy that did the shooting.

I have to shake my head over the latest "outrage" when the clear precedent is that you can do a heckuva lot worse and get away with it.
He should have expected more from Evanston cops because they're generally not like this.

And you're singing to the choir regarding Laquan McDonald. I've been posting about him ever since the video came out.

Chicago cops have always been crooked with the judicial system and mayor and his cronies all in bed with them, otherwise Van Dyke wouldn't have gotten off with such a ridiculous sentence. That's not news, however, and isn't going away any time soon.

Evanston isn't Chicago - I'm still surprised that the cops did this.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He should have expected more from Evanston cops because they're generally not like this.

And you're singing to the choir regarding Laquan McDonald. I've been posting about him ever since the video came out.

Chicago cops have always been crooked with the judicial system and mayor and his cronies all in bed with them, otherwise Van Dyke wouldn't have gotten off with such a ridiculous sentence. That's not news, however, and isn't going away any time soon.

Why? The Evanston police force said this is how they are trained to act.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:59 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why? The Evanston police force said this is how they are trained to act.
Are they trained to arrest people for working on their own cars, I wonder? Even after they know the guy owns the car?

Old 01-27-2019, 06:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Are they trained to arrest people for working on their own cars, I wonder? Even after they know the guy owns the car?
I have no idea, I just know what they said.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That’s called projection.

If I was the white version of you, I would probably say the guy got the beating he deserved.

But I’m not. So you will either just have to live with the knowledge that not everyone is like you, or go on fooling yourself into thinking they are.
When did I ever advocate for someone to be beaten unjustifiably? Tell me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

My dad was going to college in Evanston for almost 7 years about 55 years ago. He felt safer there than dealing with Chicago’s cops.

I see this incident as an aberration for Evanston. At least until there are repeat incidents like this one.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:44 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:

I didn’t have to go back very far. Just a couple of hours ago.

Quote:
That smirking MAGA hatted fool is just begging to be pimp slapped into next week.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/54269101-post2067.html

Old 01-27-2019, 09:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:

My dad was going to college in Evanston for almost 7 years about 55 years ago. He felt safer there than dealing with Chicago’s cops.

I see this incident as an aberration for Evanston. At least until there are repeat incidents like this one.
So your dad is a Northwestern alum?

Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Too bad it doesn't come directly from the cops who did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If it did, this type of bs would stop in a real hurry.
I'm no jurist, but my impression is that a more equitable outcome would have been to indict the SWAT team members for felonious assault. If convicted, they'd be fined, with the fines payable to the victim. As the case stands, the taxpayers are held liable, instead of the perpetrators.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'm no jurist, but my impression is that a more equitable outcome would have been to indict the SWAT team members for felonious assault. If convicted, they'd be fined, with the fines payable to the victim. As the case stands, the taxpayers are held liable, instead of the perpetrators.

the problem is that cops, and other government workers, have a qualified immunity from prosecution unless it can be proved that what they did was in fact a crime. and unfortunately often times the result of an internal investigation is that no crime was committed by the cop roaches, so there is no criminal prosecution of those cop roaches.

i say it is time to eliminate this immunity that all government workers enjoy, and make them face the real consequences of their actions, including any civil and criminal penalties that are handed out by the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies