Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in man made climate change?
Yes 123 59.42%
No 84 40.58%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,326 times

Advertisements

I've got a question for you alarmists: what ended the last glaciation period? What factors melted the mile thick ice sheets that created Long Island? I'd rather they don't return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:34 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant. The science so far shows the Earth is warming at an alarming rate.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:43 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
It doesn't matter whether or not we believe in it, climate change is happening, and it's largely a result of carbon emissions by humans. There are still flat-earthers in today's society too, but it doesn't mean we should take them seriously.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:59 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
Quote:
Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant. The science so far shows the Earth is warming at an alarming rate.
The data does not support your claim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1F38FB7F-F601-4F1A-8900-9E03144B2FBF.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	207366

New Paper: Modern Warming Was Driven By ‘Primarily Natural’ Factors. Global Cooling Has Now Begun.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Sorry, no cigar...Notrickszone is a well known dishonest denier site.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:14 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Human civilization is less than 7,000 years old.

When we excavate the remains of past civilizations, we rarely find any evidence that they made any attempts to adapt in the face of a changing climate. I view this inflexibility as the real reason for collapse.
- Dr. Jason Ur, Harvard University

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/1010/c...civilizations/
There’s an uncanny resemblance between the climate change doomsday predictions and the stuff you hear Jehovah’s Witnesses say.

When past predictions don’t come to pass in the timeframe you said, you simply forget it and deny you ever said it and then just move onto the next doomsday prediction. That is what we’ve been seeing for the past number of decades.

I’m not even sure there is a consensus in the scientific community about the actual effects of climate change on human populations.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Climate change does not depend on our belief (or disbelief) to be happening. In truth, we're probably already doomed. If we really only have 10-12 years to reverse course before the tipping point is reached, we're definitely doomed. Unless the human race is ready to face some terrible options to solve this crisis, nothing will be done. Politicians couldn't even plan for baby boomers retiring and what to do about Social Security and Medicare, so I don't have a lot of hope that they'll truly get involved and fight this head on.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There’s an uncanny resemblance between the climate change doomsday predictions and the stuff you hear Jehovah’s Witnesses say.

When past predictions don’t come to pass in the timeframe you said, you simply forget it and deny you ever said it and then just move onto the next doomsday prediction. That is what we’ve been seeing for the past number of decades.

I’m not even sure there is a consensus in the scientific community about the actual effects of climate change on human populations.
I don't remember mentioning a time frame, in fact I'm sure I didn't.... If you are young enough you may experience more serious effects of climate change, but since I'm almost 80 I guess I'll never know.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:45 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
TOP TEN WRONG PREDICTIONS

1. Biologist Paul Ehrlich predicted in the 1970s that: “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” and that “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
2. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
3. In January 2006 Al Gore predicted that we had ten years left before the planet turned into a “total frying pan.” We made it.
4. In 2008, a segment aired on ABC News predicted that NYC would be under water by June 2015.
5. In 1970, ecologist Kenneth E.F. Watt predicted that “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but 11 degrees colder by the year 2000, This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age.”
6. In 2008, Al Gore predicted that there is a 75% chance that the entire north polar ice cap would be completely melted within 5-7 years. He at least hedged that prediction by giving himself “75%” certainty.
7. On May 13th 2014 France’s foreign minister said that we only have 500 days to stop “climate chaos.” The recent Paris climate summit met 565 days after his remark.
8. In 2009, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Space Flight Center head James Wassen warned that Obama only had four years left to save the earth.
9. On the first Earth Day its sponsor warned that “in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
10. And another Earth Day prediction from Kenneth Watt: “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”

MORE WRONG PREDICTIONS
18 spectacularly wrong predictions made around the time of first Earth Day in 1970, expect more this year - AEI

Seven Big Failed Environmentalist Predictions

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...rming-industry

BUT, BUT, BUT IT'S SETTLED SCIENCE !
[/SARCASM]
All facts the AGW proponents will ignore. AGW extremism isn't science, it's religion. They take whatever fears they have, embrace them, and demand that others do so without proof. They demand that their positions be accepted on faith-in spite of evidence that either supports or REFUTES their position. And much like religious extremists, those that don't share their belief are labeled as heretics or infidels and attacked constantly.

The fact that one of the biggest and earliest proponents of AGW didn't make any noise about it until after he created a "carbon trading exchange" and used pressure from various groups to force participation-and enrich himself, makes these statements even more suspicious.

The earth has been both hotter and colder before. We're coming out of an ice age-of course, and very fortunately-yes, the trend is warming. Otherwise my house would be covered under 2000 feet of ice. The question is does human activity have a significant effect, and what do we do about it? Is the world going to end..or do we just need to build a few more air conditioners?

Old 01-28-2019, 05:48 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Do you or do you not believe in man made climate change? Care to discuss your views?
Getting the definitions down is the first step. First of all this is not a "belief" issue. The question is whether there is hard evidence or not showing causality.

There is no doubt that man is changing the environment and the climate - that the burning of fossils fuels has rapidly increased the levels of CO2 is irrefutable. Correlating that to temperature change is harder, but as time goes on that correlation becomes more and more reliable.

The other major change is the destruction of forests and vegetation all over the planet. The idea that you can alter one of the most important parts of the carbon cycle in such a dramatic way and not have unintended results is just silly.

Now the debate about what we can DO about it (if anything) is another matter altogether. Human beings in general are a fairly stupid lot, particularly when it comes to understanding the long term effects of our actions. We are wired to address the short term needs of a primitive society. As the ongoing destruction of our environment shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies