Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Really, you want to use the way the Chinese were treated to try and make a point here?
Are you claiming it's not relevant? Your point (if I remember correctly) was that citizens used to do all of the jobs that illegal aliens do, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Are you claiming it's not relevant? Your point (if I remember correctly) was that citizens used to do all of the jobs that illegal aliens do, right?
They most certainly built railroads. You provided another example of where employers preferred slave labor.

The railroads paid the Chinese labor far less and didn't even bother to provide them any housing.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 PM

62,942 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Just what are these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do? Who was doing them for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Illegal aliens have flooded the construction and commercial landscaping industries just for starters. Are those jobs Americans refuse to do? What a lying crock of doo doo crap!

Oh and as for crop picking (one of the favorite lies of the pro-illegals) there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers and only a small percentage of illegals are doing those jobs anyway. Its not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work, thus the visas.

Being present in the country illegally is a violation of our immigration laws and a deportable offence. Working with a fake or stolen SS number is a felony and so is tax evasion by working for cash! So sick of listening to the lies and excuses by the pro-illegals for illegals being present in our country I could just puke!!! I wish we could deport them instead!

Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just what are these jobs that Americans supposedly won't do? Who was doing them for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Illegal aliens have flooded the construction and commercial landscaping industries just for starters. Are those jobs Americans refuse to do? What a lying crock of doo doo crap!

Oh and as for crop picking (one of the favorite lies of the pro-illegals) there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers and only a small percentage of illegals are doing those jobs anyway. Its not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work, thus the visas.

Being present in the country illegally is a violation of our immigration laws and a deportable offence. Working with a fake or stolen SS number is a felony and so is tax evasion by working for cash! So sick of listening to the lies and excuses by the pro-illegals for illegals being present in our country I could just puke!!! I wish we could deport them instead!
Yet trump hasn't done a damn to fix the system. He's just obsessed with a stupid ineffective wall that won't get farmers the labor they need to do the job they need to.

Nothing but logic fail from the right, as usual

Old 01-28-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:

What are those jobs? Well.. let's talk about seasonal crop harvesting. A 6-12 week job in a rural area doing hot, dirty work, and sometimes driving an hour or more to get to and from the job site. And at the end of the season you are without a job, what then? Why would a citizen quit another job, even a fast food or part time retail job to do that, would you?

Need more 'proof'? look what happened when the government decided that "we don't need no stinkin illegals to pick crops, we'll just bus students out to the fields." They started an entirely new government program for this fantastic plan, they even named it the "A-Team"

Quote:
Problems arose immediately for the A-TEAM nationwide. In California's Salinas Valley, 200 teenagers from New Mexico, Kansas and Wyoming quit after just two weeks on the job. "We worked three days and all of us are broke," the Associated Press quoted one teen as saying. Students elsewhere staged strikes. At the end, the A-TEAM was considered a giant failure and was never tried again. This experiment quickly disappeared into the proverbial dustbin of history.https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...high-schoolers

Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yet trump hasn't done a damn to fix the system. He's just obsessed with a stupid ineffective wall that won't get farmers the labor they need to do the job they need to.

Nothing but logic fail from the right, as usual
Yet you're just obsessed with the liberal talking points. Border Patrol agents and administrators want walls and barriers because they work. I'd listen to those guys before I'd listen to a talking head in the MSM. Farm laborers from Mexico used to come, pick the crops, then go home. Good for the US farmers, good for the Mexicans. Now they come and bring their families, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and anyone else they can find and they forget to go back. Then they create a drain on our society. Let them come, pick the vegetables, put ankle monitors on them and make sure they go back.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Working with a fake or stolen SS number is a felony and so is tax evasion by working for cash! So sick of listening to the lies and excuses by the pro-illegals for illegals being present in our country I could just puke!!! I wish we could deport them instead!
Nope, working with a fake or stolen SS number is only a crime if you do so knowing who the actual owner of the SSN is and you are attempting to defraud them.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Yet you're just obsessed with the liberal talking points. Border Patrol agents and administrators want walls and barriers because they work. I'd listen to those guys before I'd listen to a talking head in the MSM. Farm laborers from Mexico used to come, pick the crops, then go home. Good for the US farmers, good for the Mexicans. Now they come and bring their families, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and anyone else they can find and they forget to go back. Then they create a drain on our society. Let them come, pick the vegetables, put ankle monitors on them and make sure they go back.
Yes they used to go home and continued to do so until we 'got tough' on illegal immigration and it became too risky for them to do so.

And as far as this wonderful H2A program for "unlimited numbers of laborers" that you keep talking about. It sucks and employers hate it. I've mentioned this before and you just blow it off, but here's a pretty good article about it that might help you understand how bad the program is:

Quote:
Barr says it's easy to understand why only a handful of employers bring in guest workers. He spends $1,000 per worker for visas, consulate fees and transportation to North Carolina. He's required to pay for their housing, and he estimates he has spent more than $80,000 building a house on his property, plus $36,000 to buy a mobile home and $5,000 a year to rent an apartment for the 48 workers he employs during the growing season. The government makes him pay them $9.68 an hour, which is about one-third higher than the minimum wage in the state, and he spends thousands of dollars on workers' compensation insurance.

Costs aside, the process is a headache of applications and paperwork required by the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor. Barr must go through lengthy steps to make sure no American wants a job before he hires a Mexican worker. He must place ads around the state and hire any American who wants to work, even if the job has already been filled by a migrant worker. The chance of violating a rule, even by mistake, is high, he says — a neighbor had to pay a fine of $80,000 last year. https://outline.com/upwDtz
My cousin used to use H2A at her farm but she said it got so bad that they were sending her workers two months after she needed them and that even though she had no work for them she had to pay 75% of the contracted wages and pay for them to return to their home country.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I stick to facts... It seems like you stick to faux news, Brietbart propaganda.

Heres a fact... Your wall will be useless, which is why most of the country doesn't want it, and trump couldn't convince his own congress to approve for two years.

You need to wake up and smell reality if you expect dems to give trump a wall he couldn't get the last two years from his own farking party

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-...ls-since-1990/

A republican Congressman from the Texas border called the wall a third century solution to a 21st century problem

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...l-myth-781204/

Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nope, working with a fake or stolen SS number is only a crime if you do so knowing who the actual owner of the SSN is and you are attempting to defraud them.
Document fraud is fraud regardless of intent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies