Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times

Advertisements

Always been with us, its as American as apple pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Oh sorry, BA means Black American. I thought its still better than still calling htem Afro-American which needs to be removed IMO. Better if its just American.

You spoke about culture war. I am saying we just have to ignore the news , social media and move on with our lives. (yet you see me preaching here )
I'm not black American. My parents are from South America. Yes I'm a person of color btw. I too prefer to use the. Moniker black Americans over African Americans.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My three male sons -- who are white -- aren't worried at all about their status. They are still making more than their female counterparts in the same field, with the same experience.

Maybe it's something about you that makes you feel that way.
I don't understand what message you are trying to convey here. Im not for or against your white sons making more money than woman or vice versa. I don't care about that. I'm talking about toxic echo chambers who feel they are victims. And if they were ever to come to power society will pay due to their privilege, ideology, sex or race. I'm glad your sons are doing well.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My three male sons -- who are white -- aren't worried at all about their status. They are still making more than their female counterparts in the same field, with the same experience.

Maybe it's something about you that makes you feel that way.
When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression. The issue in this country right now is that white heterosexual fundamentalist Christians have absolutely lost their mind that you no longer have to be white, heterosexual, and fundamentalist Christian to live the American dream. They just can't live with that fact.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
The US is being bred into a culture of victims.

The only remedy? Teach your child responsibility.

Pretty much it. Once you are responsible? You are no longer a victim. And you don't act like one, blaming everyone for all of your problems. You look around, fix what you can, manage what you can't, and go about your life.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Conservative Boomers moved to the Red states, and liberal Boomers moved to the Blue states.
This is not exactly correct. I doubt boomers in Atlanta are much different from those in Chicago, and those in rural Tennessee not much different from those in Upper Michigan.

I guess the culture wars peaked about 1861. For many years after the Civil War the South remained an agrarian, socially conservative and racist society. The North remained an industrial society where people looked down on Southerners as illiterate hicks. America then became a very mobile society, and there is no longer the geographical separation between left and right. The two major parties, however, have self-selected over the past 30 years such that cultural and political divisions are now one and the same.

This has led to a situation where we have sharp disagreements, but Civil War is not likely because the division is not between north and south or east and west, but rather urban vs rural or even more finely segregated than that.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would put those that follow the theory of intersectionality.

So ironic for Russophile Trumplings to subscribe to that.

But thanks for sharing.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The past couple of years have been crazy. I knew of feminists, SJWs, and alt-right prior to Trump 2016 election. But after his election, those that be in either wings of the political spectrum went ham rage virus zombie and ape crazy. My question is this. Where did this current climate of politics, culture, and social problems stem in the past couple of years and whos to blame. Should we blame white supremacy, the Alt-Right, White Nationalist, conscious woke blacks, Intersectional feminists, black feminist, mainline white feminists, SJW's who advocate for everyone in their moral compass even though those that be don't ask for representation. Whos at fault for causing all of those. Can we blame social media? Twitter is a hot bed for both Donald Trump supporters, and fist in the air Pro Black Americans who can be easily angered via emotional false stories and news. Or do we blame the news for insinuating rage from Charlottesville to recently with Covington Catholic school kids wearing MAGA hats. Its nuts, you have people on either camps doxxing getting people fired from their jobs or evicted from their apartments. You have Antifa vs Proud Boys. I find it completely worrisome that does that be last week forgot about the millions of Americans who work for the Fed did not get paid, but are more outraged over boys wearing MAGA hats.

I just hope that people can go back to normalcy, and be open to forgiveness and compassion, and that the outrage can stop, and judge people by our character, and forgive people for doing or saying things that seem to be wrong think. Who started, and who intensified the current social cultural climate we are in. A whole bunch of people on the left where calling for children to be killed. And Heather Hayer, was killed by a right wing nut-Job (RIP).When is this all going to stop?

I also hope that people can come together and drop their echo-chambers.
Tolerance, forgiveness and compassion doesn't win the day right now. It will again, but we're in a darker era right now and people easily, unfortunately, follow someone based on their own issues and problems, projecting outward that "the other" is the problem, when it's inside themselves.
I actually think his obsession w/ "the wall" has some Freudian roots. LOL.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:50 PM

230 posts, read 94,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression. The issue in this country right now is that white heterosexual fundamentalist Christians have absolutely lost their mind that you no longer have to be white, heterosexual, and fundamentalist Christian to live the American dream. They just can't live with that fact.
Lol. You haven't seen anything yet. Ever met someone willing to die than rather living in a SICK society like this is becoming? Equality is a false god because NO 2 people are equal and never will be.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarRight View Post
Lol. You haven't seen anything yet. Ever met someone willing to die than rather living in a SICK society like this is becoming? Equality is a false god because NO 2 people are equal and never will be.
My grand mother said the same thing to me a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies