Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Did Tom say something racist or was he just speaking the truth!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.28d318754d51
I live in AZ where there are a lot of Hispanics who DO NOT speak Spanish, celebrate the 4th of July (with US flags and all), celebrate Thanksgiving, love baseball and the NFL.

They’re Christians, love capitalism and despise abortion.

What else does Brokaw want? Maybe he wants them to eat kielbasa, corned beef & cabbage and stroganoff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You are aware that Spanish is a European language aren't you? English may be the universal language for business but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true.

I'm not sure how any struggling country's language has any bearing on this conversation in the slightest. Unless of course you are attempting to push a prejudiced narrative that people from Spanish speaking countries are somehow less intelligent. Is that what you're doing? In that case I can point to quite a few counties located primarily in Southern US states that are struggling and whose language is exclusively English. You want to go that route?
No. My objection that your suggestion that we learn Spanish and that it would actually benefit us. It's one thing to suggest that everyone be bi-lingual or multi-lingual, but to say that Spanish is the only other language to learn is offensive and enabling Hispanic migrants to function in our country without bothering to learn English.

I don't believe that Spain is doing that well as a country.

And it is on college campuses such as MIT and Harvard heard that that Business English is the global language for business and the sciences. I am not saying the Spanish speaking people are less intelligent, but of the migrants coming in from Central America and Mexico, we are getting those who have no money, no academic education and no English speaking skills... although they are really good at making babies.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:53 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. My objection that your suggestion that we learn Spanish and that it would actually benefit us. It's one thing to suggest that everyone be bi-lingual or multi-lingual, but to say that Spanish is the only other language to learn is offensive and enabling Hispanic migrants to function in our country without bothering to learn English.

I don't believe that Spain is doing that well as a country.

And it is on college campuses such as MIT and Harvard heard that that Business English is the global language for business and the sciences. I am not saying the Spanish speaking people are less intelligent, but of the migrants coming in from Central America and Mexico, we are getting those who have no money, no academic education and no English speaking skills... although they are really good at making babies.
Maybe you just skimmed my post or your reading comprehension isn't all that sharp today but I specifically said it would benefit one to "learn another language". Nowhere did I say Spanish had to be that language. If you were smart you'd learn a second language that's most useful for the region in which you reside.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Yeah, I had this take too. He thought of a stereotypical response of a racist would have about immigration. I'm not a big fan of a national language, but in my profession its becoming more and more a requirement to speak Spanish. Further, I hear chatter at work about how US policy on immigration impacts Hispanics, from Hispanics. For some of them, it's the most important issue. These folks vote, and most of the time they are voting in the interest of non-Americans, i.e. their relatives. They are more concerned with their family members who are not in the US, or are in the US illegally. Which is reasonable position for those individuals to have, to be concerned about their interest. However, the larger that group becomes, the less American interest will be considered, which includes them as well. I have a problem with that. I can not help but see this as people who see opportunities for non-Americans to exploit US resources, with little to no interest in protecting those resources. I've also heard this same sentiment from Filipinos.
Exactly. I know people who have gotten their parents over here and got them immediately on disability without paying one cent in taxes to our govt.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
lol. We are talking about Hispanic immigrants IN America. They can choose to go back to their country if they think American culture is affecting them in some negative way. And it is the same for Americans who dislike American culture, perhaps find a better fit and see if you can immigrate there. Lots of people are doing it.
This is a good idea. If you don't like that we are a multicultural nation, maybe Denmark would be a better option. Though then you'd have to get used to the travesty of everyone being able to access high-quality medical care, which I understand is also an issue... maybe something like Armenia or Moldova? Not sure about their healthcare situation.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Did Tom say something racist or was he just speaking the truth!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.28d318754d51
Just learn the language in order to commuicate. Otherwise don't assimilate. That's the problem. By the 3rd generation, we end up with a bunch of fat, lazy, Hispanics who live off of welfare like too many Americans already do. Don't become Americanized.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed. We shouldn't single out Hispanics. Assimilation should be the goal and a lot of immigrants don't seem to work very hard at it.
if you do the legal way, like a company petitioned you, the USCIS requires you to pass a written/oral English Test

Old 01-28-2019, 02:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
People came to America to be Americans. If you want to remain in your culture, remain where you came from.
If we really want to be"American" we need to be more aware of how the original ____Americans_____interacted and what our ancestors did to call themselves"AMERICANS "

WE SHOULD NEVER TURN OUR BACK ON OUR CULTURE/ANCESTRY.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:20 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I live in AZ where there are a lot of Hispanics who DO NOT speak Spanish, celebrate the 4th of July (with US flags and all), celebrate Thanksgiving, love baseball and the NFL.

They’re Christians, love capitalism and despise abortion.

What else does Brokaw want? Maybe he wants them to eat kielbasa, corned beef & cabbage and stroganoff?

No, this is strictly about language usage. I couldn't care less what they eat. It's mostly the Mestizos from south of our border that have an aversion to speaking English and those from Cuba also. There are many Spaniards in New Mexico that don't speak Spanish either. As I said, it all depends on where their roots are from.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:30 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If all people have to whine about is Hispanics speaking Spanish in public (so they can't listen in?) then they need to reset their priorities. Many of these folks are bi-lingual (a strength, believe it or not) and have a stronger family framework than most "Americans". Illegals come here to work and send money home to their families. Hispanic communities often have a huge emphasis on families and extended families. Aunts and uncles are like parents, cousins are like siblings, grandparents are respected. They go to church. They work hard. What's the problem? If anything, American culture drives a wedge into this model.

So, you think that is all anyone objects to? I suggest you stop exaggerating. It is "one" of my pet peeves because I don't like feeling like I'm in Mexico when I go out in public. I couldn't care less what the gist of their conversation is. It's BS that Spanish speakers or any other group has a stronger family framework. WTH does language usage have to do with that?

Illegals have no right to come here to work and take American jobs, taxes and resources. Americans have families to feed to. Hispanics aren't any more family orientated than any other ethnic group. To claim superiority about any specific group is based on racism. Non-Hispanic Americans go to church and work hard also. So American culture doesn't include those things? Let me guess, you're Hispanic or have ethnic ties to them. Very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies