Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

Anyone surprised by this?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...hs-nabe-survey

Last edited by Motion; 01-28-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:14 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
No I'm not surprised, and I wasn't impressed with the move to cut taxes while the economy was going fine. The deficit situation is getting worse. What happens if the economy tanks? The deficit situation would get even worse, and we wouldn't be able to cut taxes to boost the economy.

Not the best move on Trump's part. I think cutting taxes should have been saved for later. What's he going to promise during the election? Even more tax cuts? Who would lend us money to keep the whole mess going? We can't expect the world to finance our deficit spending forever.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
The tax scam wasn’t meant to help the economy or the middle class. It was a gift to the republican donor class.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
You are actually elling us that trickle down voodoo economics does not have the affect the right wing has been BS'ing about for almost half a century? Really? I cannot believe it! Maybe we should give it another 40 years just to make certain.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-28-2019 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No I'm not surprised, and I wasn't impressed with the move to cut taxes while the economy was going fine. The deficit situation is getting worse. What happens if the economy tanks? The deficit situation would get even worse, and we wouldn't be able to cut taxes to boost the economy.

Not the best move on Trump's part. I think cutting taxes should have been saved for later. What's he going to promise during the election? Even more tax cuts? Who would lend us money to keep the whole mess going? We can't expect the world to finance our deficit spending forever.
Tax cuts are not the problem. There is nothing wrong with citizens keeping more of their own money. The issue is that our government spends money like an unsupervised 7-year-old in a candy store.

Blaming tax cuts for the deficit, or even implying that tax cuts are bad for the economy, is like blaming your kid's allowance for your bankruptcy.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Tax cuts are not the problem. There is nothing wrong with citizens keeping more of their own money. The issue is that our government spends money like an unsupervised 7-year-old in a candy store.

Blaming tax cuts for the deficit, or even implying that tax cuts are bad for the economy, is like blaming your kid's allowance for your bankruptcy.

While I don't disagree with what you've said, running chronic deficits can be detrimental to a nation's prosperity and future. If you have children, do you want them to live in a deadbeat country that has a reputation of not managing it's finances properly? Wouldn't you agree that not being able to pay you bills would result in a pretty immediate reduction in your standard of living?

How can you expect to reduce deficits without adequate revenues?

Also, quite a bit of that government spending goes back into the economy. It's a part of why the US economy is the largest in the world.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
While I don't disagree with what you've said, running chronic deficits can be detrimental to a nation's prosperity and future. If you have children, do you want them to live in a deadbeat country that has a reputation of not managing it's finances properly? Wouldn't you agree that not being able to pay you bills would result in a pretty immediate reduction in your standard of living?

How can you expect to reduce deficits without adequate revenues?
The exact same way that my wife and I - and numerous others - avoided bankruptcy after over $50k in medical bills: stop spending money on ridiculous crap. If the words "government shutdown" and "nonessential employees" can be used in the same sentence, i.e. "During a government shutdown nonessential employees will be furloughed," there is a serious problem with the way that my money, your money, and every other taxpayer's money is being used by the people who are supposed to be responsible.

We have a spending problem in this country, not a revenue problem. Our government spends money on things that it shouldn't be spent on, and even when money needs to be spent they spend too much.

The fact that people are seriously griping about tax cuts shows exactly how clueless a large portion of the population is.

Quote:
Also, quite a bit of that government spending goes back into the economy. It's a part of why the US economy is the largest in the world.
And if the government wasn't spending that money, private companies would. Stop believing that the government is in any way beneficial to the economy. It isn't. It's a drag on the free market, not a boon for it.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The exact same way that my wife and I - and numerous others - avoided bankruptcy after over $50k in medical bills: stop spending money on ridiculous crap. If the words "government shutdown" and "nonessential employees" can be used in the same sentence, i.e. "During a government shutdown nonessential employees will be furloughed," there is a serious problem with the way that my money, your money, and every other taxpayer's money is being used by the people who are supposed to be responsible.

We have a spending problem in this country, not a revenue problem. Our government spends money on things that it shouldn't be spent on, and even when money needs to be spent they spend too much.

The fact that people are seriously griping about tax cuts shows exactly how clueless a large portion of the population is.

And if the government wasn't spending that money, private companies would. Stop believing that the government is in any way beneficial to the economy. It isn't. It's a drag on the free market, not a boon for it.

If you cut the spending, that's fine. But many of those people dependent on that spending are going to have to find a new gig. And there are only so many to go around. If too many people are idle, that is no better.

That would include things like the military, and all the infrastructure built in to support the military. Last I heard, military spending accounted for half of all government spending.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:

If you understood deficits, you'd understand it's about spending and not taxes.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Yes, I am surprised that Fox Is reporting this and that people actually were dumb enough to believe it in the first place ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies