Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times

Advertisements

My question is spiked by the fact that why only as of recent have autistic people and transgenders been deliberately conflated with the mentally ill? As an autist, it just confuses me how there is this shift back and forth of Lumping us with the mentally ill, then distinguishing us.

As for the transgenders, well there are with LGB folks, but even there are ongoing debates to lump them more with the mentally ill

May I ask what's causing these shifts and is the political culture of today to blame?

Again forgive my ignorance, but I would like to know more out of importance and confusion, what's causing these distinction shifts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Similar pattern of peripheral with Muslims, racialized whenever possible then brought up in religious conflict talk.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Excuse me if this is ignorance on my part, but to the best of my understanding, autism is indeed a mental problem.

And I'm sure transgender would have traditionally be considered one, too, until fairly recently.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
My question is spiked by the fact that why only as of recent have autistic people and transgenders been deliberately conflated with the mentally ill? As an autist, it just confuses me how there is this shift back and forth of Lumping us with the mentally ill, then distinguishing us.

As for the transgenders, well there are with LGB folks, but even there are ongoing debates to lump them more with the mentally ill

May I ask what's causing these shifts and is the political culture of today to blame?

Again forgive my ignorance, but I would like to know more out of importance and confusion, what's causing these distinction shifts?
I question this premise. If anything, the shift seems to be towards more, and not less, acceptance of both the transgendered and people on the spectrum. Could it be that your perception is formed by the fact that both groups have received more attention in recent years?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I question this premise. If anything, the shift seems to be towards more, and not less, acceptance of both the transgendered and people on the spectrum. Could it be that your perception is formed by the fact that both groups have received more attention in recent years?
Well autistic people weren't always lumped with the upper part of the mentally ill, here is an article that explains my premise

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...mental-illness

As for transgenders, we had this not too long ago

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/717758002/

Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Well I'm not a psychologist... but I am married to one.

Fact is that psychology is a very young science, and in constant flux. What's considered valid for one culture may not apply at all in another culture. And there are major changes to the practice every few decades. Stuff that was common as recently as the 1990's (recovered memories etc.) are now considered quackery.

Go back further and Freud's methods were the norm... much of which looks completely silly today (sometimes a pencil is just a pencil). Prior to that, psychology is all mixed up with philosophy, medicine, and downright laughable stuff like studying the shape of peoples' heads.

So *of course* it changes as the political whims shift.

But I don't think there's much disagreement right now about Asperger's. It's considered a developmental and/or intellectual disability. Though mental health professionals do provide treatment to develop coping skills and that sort of thing.

As for transgenders... yeah, I dunno what to tell you. Pychology ain't physics. It changes as political and social norms change. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing... but that's the way it is.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Fact is that psychology is a very young science, and in constant flux. What's considered valid for one culture may not apply at all in another culture. And there are major changes to the practice every few decades. Stuff that was common as recently as the 1990's (recovered memories etc.) are now considered quackery.

Go back further and Freud's methods were the norm... much of which looks completely silly today (sometimes a pencil is just a pencil). Prior to that, psychology is all mixed up with philosophy, medicine, and downright laughable stuff like studying the shape of peoples' heads.

But I don't think there's much disagreement right now about Asperger's. It's considered a developmental and/or intellectual disability. Though mental health professionals do provide treatment to develop coping skills and that sort of thing.

As for transgenders... yeah, I dunno what to tell you. Pychology ain't physics. It changes as political and social norms change. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing... but that's the way it is.
Ah, yeah I can see where you're coming from.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Autism has been moving more toward a "developmental disorder" with strong biological ties in recent years IMO.

It's described more as a "condition" than an illness.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

A lot of personality disorders rely heavily on non-conformist behavior which is quite odd if you ask me. You don't conform and you get saddled with a disorder? That's pretty harsh.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Autism has been moving more toward a "developmental disorder" with strong biological ties in recent years IMO.

It's described more as a "condition" than an illness.
Well they are already trying to call masculinity a mental illness anyways, I don't know what else is new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies