Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
2016 was the beginning of 'change' in the systemic deficiencies within the Chicago Police Department with the appointment of Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson, and State's Attorney Kim Foxx. For a black family in a 30% black city with a black tv show to not have have faith in a newly appointed black police chief and a black SA is just not black supportive.
For a family with a lot at risk, to have more faith in the FBI than in the Chicago PD is understandable.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:17 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What do you think the penalty should be for sending yourself crushed ibuprofen?

I'm not a supporter of Jussie Smollett. The first time I heard the story I thought it questionable. Thugs in Chicago carry bleach around with them at 2am???? I can believe thugs with guns at 2am. But bleach??? Really???

My interest in this thread is that the outrage, rage, and frustration with this case is similar to the outrage, rage and frustration that triggered lynchings in the 19th century. People have arrived at their judgment of Smollett, and want him to be punished. Some of the posters on this thread have even suggested that Smollett will be attacked in reality by MAGA hat-wearers. And the comments about karma. And the comments about going to jail for a really long time. The offenses he is accused of don't merit long jail sentences. He is not a violent criminal. He didn't threaten anyone. But people are beyond angry.

More than that, the insistence of some people that the Obamas had something, anything, to do with this, based on zero evidence that the Obamas took any interest at all, is fascinating. Conspiracy people see conspiracy everywhere is something one of my college professors used to say, and it seems to be true. No matter how dubious the conspiracy is, there are people who BELIEVE. And it's funny, because in the political arena, the people on the other end of the political spectrum are all involved in conspiracies, but the politicians that the political conspiracists like are not involved in any conspiracies. It's confirmation bias taken to the nth degree.

AGREE. He is a fool and a nutjob; I think should be fined -heavily-, made to admit, fired, and publicly shamed.

Jail time seems overkill; embarrassing community service like cleaning up roadways/parks may be better.

I think what he did was disgusting. But I don't believe high up folk got together and stuck collective necks out for him. He just isn't THAT important.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
What do you think the penalty should be for sending terroristic threats through the mail that disrupts the lives of dozens of people and mandates a very expensive emergency response?

He didn't merely expose himself to crushed ibuprofin ("allegedly"), he exposed everyone in the studio to an unknown (to everyone else) powdered substance for the purpose of instilling fear. Consequently the entire studio had to be evacuated pursuant to a HAZMAT response and the whole block was shut down. It wasn't just a matter of him running to the police to complain about a letter he received, he ("allgedly") disrupted dozens of lives not to mention a high-budget television production for the purpose of intimidation.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 AM

349 posts, read 260,530 times
Quote:
For a family with a lot at risk, to have more faith in the FBI than in the Chicago PD is understandable.
Yeah, a lot at risk of being found out. Chicago PD doing its' job and discovering the truth, versus a gloss-over job by the feds (nothing to see here, move along).

Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:

I'm not a supporter of Jussie Smollett. The first time I heard the story I thought it questionable. Thugs in Chicago carry bleach around with them at 2am???? I can believe thugs with guns at 2am. But bleach??? Really???

I watched Empire the first two seasons, because it was based on the play Lion in Winter. The play, based on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine towards the end of their lives is one of my favorites, but when the TV show Empire veered away from the play, I lost interest.

My interest in this thread is that the outrage, rage, and frustration with this case is similar to the outrage, rage and frustration that triggered lynchings in the 19th century. People have arrived at their judgment of Smollett, and want him to be punished. Some of the posters on this thread have even suggested that Smollett will be attacked in reality by MAGA hat-wearers. And the comments about karma. And the comments about going to jail for a really long time. The offenses he is accused of don't merit long jail sentences. He is not a violent criminal. He didn't threaten anyone. But people are beyond angry.

More than that, the insistence of some people that the Obamas had something, anything, to do with this, based on zero evidence that the Obamas took any interest at all, is fascinating. Conspiracy people see conspiracy everywhere is something one of my college professors used to say, and it seems to be true. No matter how dubious the conspiracy is, there are people who BELIEVE. And it's funny, because in the political arena, the people on the other end of the political spectrum are all involved in conspiracies, but the politicians that the political conspiracists like are not involved in any conspiracies. It's confirmation bias taken to the nth degree.
People would be a lot less outraged if he would have had to admit his guilt. It probably would die down a lot quicker. The fact that he is still claiming he is innocent, and even threatening to sue the CPD, is adding a lot of fuel to the fire.

He shows no remorse, so whatever outrage and further investigation by the feds, is well earned.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What do you think the penalty should be for sending terroristic threats through the mail that disrupts the lives of dozens of people and mandates a very expensive emergency response?

He didn't merely expose himself to crushed ibuprofin ("allegedly"), he exposed everyone in the studio to an unknown (to everyone else) powdered substance for the purpose of instilling fear. Consequently the entire studio had to be evacuated pursuant to a HAZMAT response and the whole block was shut down. It wasn't just a matter of him running to the police to complain about a letter he received, he ("allgedly") disrupted dozens of lives not to mention a high-budget television production for the purpose of intimidation.
The high-budget television production should sue him, then. We'll see how the FBI investigation goes.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Yeah, a lot at risk of being found out. Chicago PD doing its' job and discovering the truth, versus a gloss-over job by the feds (nothing to see here, move along).
Why would there be a gloss-over job by the FBI? Are you saying the FBI boots on the ground people are all corrupt?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
People would be a lot less outraged if he would have had to admit his guilt. It probably would die down a lot quicker. The fact that he is still claiming he is innocent, and even threatening to sue the CPD, is adding a lot of fuel to the fire.

He shows no remorse, so whatever outrage and further investigation by the feds, is well earned.
I agree with that, I would think that minimally the deal the prosecutor made would have included an admission, or failing that, at least Smollett keeping silent. But I also get that Smollett is trying to salvage his career at this point. So he's going to double-down on the innocent victim narrative. It's a mess, for sure.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM

349 posts, read 260,530 times
Quote:
Why would there be a gloss-over job by the FBI? Are you saying the FBI boots on the ground people are all corrupt?
I previously stated "Deep State." The man from Chicago still has pull. The "MAGA hat-wearing white guys" hoax is an abomination to the black community. Once Jussie's family discovered the truth, better to make it all go away than be investigated. That's my stance. Good Day.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
For making a false police report? You think the penalty for a false police report is jail for many years????
Yes, but that's just one of the crimes he committed. He did a slew of other things as well, which would have landed the common man and woman in jail for a long time. He utilized the USPS to send a threat letter. He claimed the attack was carried out by pro-Trump / Republicans. Doing so, he instilled into the public hatred towards that group of people. And your sitting here saying that this was ok and no big deal of a thing to do. You're as wacked as this Smollett clown is.

Last edited by FC76-81; 03-28-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies