Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Jussie Smollett Attack was a hoax ?
Yes 503 92.63%
No 41 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 543. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
According to the Forbes link he drove himself to the hospital.
Well that just highlights the sorry state of journalism today.

The police have only conveyed that he 'transported' himself to the hospital.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Especially considering that absolutely nobody knew who this purported victim was prior to this "assault."

But...if he fabricates a racially motivated attack on himself, complete with MAGA-wearing hoodlums shouting "This is MAGA country!" (Name four words one will never hear in Chicago!) and...

-:¦:- .•‘ ¨)) -:¦:-
, • ‘ . • ‘ ¨ )) -:¦:-
((¸.•‘.•‘ *POOF* -:¦:-

...Voila! Career-resurrecting/enhancing publicity, made to order.

The whole premise is so sketchy that Mr. Smollett has placed himself in the unenviable position of having to prove that his story is not a thoroughgoing fraud.
Quite absurd since Smollet is at the top of his career at the moment. Why would he need more publicity?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Quite absurd since Smollet is at the top of his career at the moment. Why would he need more publicity?
I would say that if you don't watch "Empire" you have no clue who he is. I looked up his IMDB. He was in Alien, seemed like a small role based on what they showed, and he was in "Mighty Ducks" as a kid, apparently. Again, small role.

So - who the hell even knows who he is unless they watch that show?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:49 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times
Quote:
Quite absurd since Smollet is at the top of his career at the moment.

Which, given his relative obscurity, constitutes a sad commentary on said career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz

Why would he need more publicity?
Asked and answered by his actions. As we can see, Mr. Smollett rightly senses that a person in his line of work can never have too much publicity. And having a role on a show watched by seventeen or fewer viewers per episode just isn't going to cut it.

Manufacture a purported racial incident in which one is victimized by MAGA-hat wearing savages brandishing nooses? That virtually guarantees plentiful nationwide publicity, not to mention sympathy.

Until the public finds out it was all a hoax, at which point the whole thing comes unraveled. At that point, of course, Mr. Smollett will not be able to pay people enough to forget this tawdry little episode.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:52 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
And here we go some refuse to condone and admit that there are some that use MAGA as a hateful term.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Hopefully surveillance video will help police track down and arrest the culprits.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would say that if you don't watch "Empire" you have no clue who he is. I looked up his IMDB. He was in Alien, seemed like a small role based on what they showed, and he was in "Mighty Ducks" as a kid, apparently. Again, small role.

So - who the hell even knows who he is unless they watch that show?
He is also a musician & singer/songwriter with Colombia Records.
You wouldn't know him probably because you're not part of his demographic.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Very little has been put into the MAGA claim.

It's a big story either way.

A gay, black celebrity who recently received threats was attacked and beaten at 2:00 am, had a noose put around his neck, and bleach poured over him.

That is disgusting whether the assailants shouted about MAGA or not.
Or it is a big story that gay black celebrity suffers mental breakdown and claims hate crime.
I will wait and see what the police investigation shows.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:13 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
probably another staged event. no one would even know who this guy is

Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
He is also a musician & singer/songwriter with Colombia Records.
You wouldn't know him probably because you're not part of his demographic.
Well now, isn't it interesting that you just said that. I'm not "part of his demographic" is why I don't know who he is. And I agree - I have no clue who he is, I don't have tv so I've never seen "Empire" nor have I ever even heard of the show, and I don't listen to what most people listen to when it comes to music - not even pop. So if he's easy listening, jazz, rap, R&B, whatever, you're right, I have no clue who he is.

And guess what? That means that many white Trump supporters would also not have a damn clue who he is.

Edit: Just looked it up. According to one article, it's R&B. Nope, I don't listen to that. Now, tell me, Bobdreamz, how many "racist" Trump supporters do you think sit around watching "Empire" and listening to "R&B"? If they are so racist, they wouldn't listen to that music nor watch that show - so how the hell would they know who this person is on the streets at 2am on a blustery freezing Chicago morning - while carrying a noose and a bottle of bleach?

Tell me, just how much sense that all makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies