Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 05:32 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Yeah well ask yourself how you would have reacted had you been stuck between two guys wearing MAGA hats.
If they don't smell and don't spend the time cross-talking about scripture then I'd be fine with it.

Which sorta begs the question....why, when I travel around here in Florida, do I often hear LOUD voice (always male) having one-way biblical discussions? I mean....it should come as a social hint that however many people are in the party (say 4 at a table in a restaurant or 3 at a park) don't get a word in.

MAGA, I guess. Some van is driving up and down main street today with Biblical Verses on the side of it and a Trump 2020 Flag waving. Really. No Kidding. It sorta looks like that Van of the recent Florida bomber guy (with the Trump stickers all over it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Why are some people assuming the black woman and black man are a couple?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Anywhere else that is assault and considered a crime.

FAA should either force some bigger seats or at check in you get measured and if too fat you don't fly.

Fat people need to be measured at the airport like carry on bags, if their girth is too big they need to be required to buy two seats or fly first class.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:49 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Fat people need to be measured at the airport like carry on bags, if their girth is too big they need to be required to buy two seats or fly first class.
Sounds logical to me, but it would probably cause such an outcry, it would speed up the move towards fattness as a disability and as a new protected class.

We are already seeing the new discipline of 'Fat Studies' emerging and obese people suing for discrimination.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 AM

Obesity is a reflection of the gluttony of American capitalism and excess, predicated on over indulging and hedonism. It’s born from the nature of our culture. Hence, it should be an expectation that one will likely have to be near obese people on planes, trains, buses, etc. If one has a problem with this then maybe they should move to a country where people tend to be thinner...like maybe India.

Just offering suggestions that is in your sphere of control.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Obesity is a reflection of the gluttony of American capitalism and excess. It’s born from the nature of our culture. Hence, it should be an expectation that one will likely have to be near obese people on planes, trains, buses, etc. If one has a problem with this then maybe they should move to a country where people tend to be thinner...like maybe India.

That is your Marxist interpretation of reality. Now, in actuality, obesity is mostly a personal choice. We all have the freedom of personal choice, but we aren't free from the consequences of those choices.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Personal choice or not, sitting between two obese individuals in an already-cramped airline seat is a nightmare.

There seems to be no solution, but surely, a person can complain about it.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Obesity is a reflection of the gluttony of American capitalism and excess. It’s born from the nature of our culture. Hence, it should be an expectation that one will likely have to be near obese people on planes, trains, buses, etc. If one has a problem with this then maybe they should move to a country where people tend to be thinner...like maybe India.

So explain why Mexicans in Mexico are as fat or fatter than Americans? Are they also fat because of American capitalism and excess?

A lot of the obese people I am aware of are on public assistance. Wealthier people I know tend to take care of themselves. Working class people with blue collar labor jobs also tend to be less fat.

It comes down to having a sedentary lifestyle and making poor choices regarding food and exercise.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That is your Marxist interpretation of reality. Now, in actuality, obesity is mostly a personal choice. We all have the freedom of personal choice, but we aren't free from the consequences of those choices.
So you feel that each and every person can dispense of millions of years of DNA and Instinct....like in one generation?

That's fantastic. I'll bet you think you could put a gang of children in a room with unlimited ice cream and candy and they wouldn't touch it....or, 100 adults in a room in the middle of nowhere with some vodka, beer and rum and expect they'd never take more than one drink a day.....

Human nature is a real thing. Hard to believe, I know. But it is. Free Will only exists around the edges.

I mean - since we are speaking of MAGA, so you think Trump could help his adultery, puzzy grabbing, fraud and all of that? That he didn't have to do any of that for true happiness?

I don't think he ever had the choice. It was programmed in and if he ever considered it, the time was too late for change (very few people change after a certain age).

Sure, we can always point to an example of something different. Some people change - others win the lottery for a million plus. Heck, we know someone who won the lottery TWICE for fairly big bucks each time.

What are the odds?

Reality is that places that are "happier" than the USA and that have more of a "For the People" approach to the markets....are slimmer. When you spend billions of dollars convincing people (and government) that cigarettes are healthy, it's hard to expect ALL points on the Bell Curve to somehow know the opposite is true.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What ever drink you want to use to wash it down bro. The fact remains that we live in a culture that results in obesity. There are cultures and nations that produce far less obesity. You can’t force people to eat salads and exercise to be thin so that you will not be cramped in a plane seat. There are countries with thin people. Find one and enjoy your plane rides. Why suffer in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies