Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to conducting yourself with class these days. Sure, it can be annoying to be stuck between two seatmates that are fat, have too much perfume, etc., but that doesn't mean you have to be a mean spirited jerk about it in public.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/im-n...023821308.html

Quote:
A woman, who claimed to “eat salad” (twice, within four minutes and 32 seconds), was captured verbally shaming her seatmates on a United Airlines flight in a viral video.

The video, shared last week on Facebook, showed a female passenger sitting in the middle seat of a United flight and saying to a person on her phone that her seatmates were “so big.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 01:40 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Whatever happened to yahoolifestyle staying in current events or Facebook outrage of the day?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:44 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Happened to me once.

Middle seat between 2 huge women. One with a lap baby, the other taking bites out of a big kielbasa. 1.5 hours of hell.

No I did not saying anything mean to either person.

I remember the flight attendant had this look of "You poor bastage." I just smiled and endured.

All I got out of the experience is a story to tell on a forum 20 years later.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
The same people who put signs in their yards bragging about being deplorables....

THIS is what they achieved...the ability to be uncivil. However, in what may be news to them, this is only history repeating it self...we had "know-nothings" and it was in vogue at various times to be crude.

Heck, even they can't compete with the Days of Spittoons. Maybe that's the America the want to Make Great Again? We are all so PC that we don't expectorate on the floor everywhere.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Thoughts and prayers to the woman.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I flew a couple times in the last couple days - took a bunch of uBers too.

Let me clue those who may be doubtful into something. In general, the American Public (including those with accents, other languages, different color skin) is nothing short of amazing.

In the Airports the public was praising the TSA workers even as they were making them do some "intrusive" things....saying things like "I know what you are going through so I'm not about to complain"...to the TSA workers and asking them when they are going to get their paychecks.

Among the uBer drivers were one dude who comes from Austria (born near the Alps) whose Uncle was FORCED into the SS, but whose father fought in WWII and Korea...and he was in Vietnam.

The next driver was from Brazil....except, since we had a one hour ride, I found out that he had married a Californian (in CA.) lived in CA. and Hawaii (now Tampa) but, took the 23&me tests and found out he is 75% Italian. He has done over 1500 Uber rides and is actually making money (bought a Prius with 100K miles and it now is perfect at 200K).....

These are among the immigrants that some people here so rant about.

We are all one. Many of us learned that decades ago but DNA has now given up any excuse to claim otherwise. Why not just be nice? The only reason would be a mental illness (anger problems of sorts) rooted in ignorance.

Assuming any deplorables are reading this, if you wanted to change the first thing is to lose every bookmark, every radio preset and stop watching the news. If you can't do that there is little hope.

I've been online since 1986 (Compuserve) and it was as hard for me as anyone. Sometime about a decade ago I erased my Drudge bookmark and haven't been back since.

Not to pay myself on the back, but I wonder if others can disipline themselves so and stick to it? It's like a diet....easy to think or talk about, but very hard to do.

BTW, if we are not going to be totally PC, I "get it" 100% about certain airline things.....

1. Extremely wide people.....planes need to have special rows for those over 250lbs.
Wifey and I joke about the arm rests...you are not allowed to even have your spare tire hanging anywhere above the mid-point of the in-between arm rest!
2. Extremely smelly people....of BO or booze or even those who used to pull out nail polish.
3. Pet policy abusers (airlines seem to be fixing this)...

Old 01-29-2019, 01:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
If you’re too big to contain your body within the boundaries of your seat, you should be made to buy a larger seat. Flights are cramped enough without two people encroaching into my space from the left and the right.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:01 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Why would the writer of the article write the following?

"It is unknown if the woman eventually did receive another seat or if the passengers who were the target of her hatred received any type of apology or compensation from the airline. United Airlines did not immediately respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s requests for comment." (Quote from article, my italics)

Why should an airline be responsible for what one passenger said to another?

Simply mind-boggling.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Why would the writer of the article write the following?

"It is unknown if the woman eventually did receive another seat or if the passengers who were the target of her hatred received any type of apology or compensation from the airline. United Airlines did not immediately respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s requests for comment." (Quote from article, my italics)

Why should an airline be responsible for what one passenger said to another?

Simply mind-boggling.
Yahoolifestyle runs these non stories all the time. It’s click bait.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I flew a couple times in the last couple days - took a bunch of uBers too.

Let me clue those who may be doubtful into something. In general, the American Public (including those with accents, other languages, different color skin) is nothing short of amazing.

In the Airports the public was praising the TSA workers even as they were making them do some "intrusive" things....saying things like "I know what you are going through so I'm not about to complain"...to the TSA workers and asking them when they are going to get their paychecks.

Among the uBer drivers were one dude who comes from Austria (born near the Alps) whose Uncle was FORCED into the SS, but whose father fought in WWII and Korea...and he was in Vietnam.

The next driver was from Brazil....except, since we had a one hour ride, I found out that he had married a Californian (in CA.) lived in CA. and Hawaii (now Tampa) but, took the 23&me tests and found out he is 75% Italian. He has done over 1500 Uber rides and is actually making money (bought a Prius with 100K miles and it now is perfect at 200K).....

These are among the immigrants that some people here so rant about.

We are all one. Many of us learned that decades ago but DNA has now given up any excuse to claim otherwise. Why not just be nice? The only reason would be a mental illness (anger problems of sorts) rooted in ignorance.

Assuming any deplorables are reading this, if you wanted to change the first thing is to lose every bookmark, every radio preset and stop watching the news. If you can't do that there is little hope.

I've been online since 1986 (Compuserve) and it was as hard for me as anyone. Sometime about a decade ago I erased my Drudge bookmark and haven't been back since.

Not to pay myself on the back, but I wonder if others can disipline themselves so and stick to it? It's like a diet....easy to think or talk about, but very hard to do.

BTW, if we are not going to be totally PC, I "get it" 100% about certain airline things.....

1. Extremely wide people.....planes need to have special rows for those over 250lbs.
Wifey and I joke about the arm rests...you are not allowed to even have your spare tire hanging anywhere above the mid-point of the in-between arm rest!
2. Extremely smelly people....of BO or booze or even those who used to pull out nail polish.
3. Pet policy abusers (airlines seem to be fixing this)...

What does your post have to do with this story? I noticed you went back and added an after thought about extremely wide people. Both people on either side of the woman are very obese which is what she seemed upset about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies