Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You missed my point. The Constitution has specific word the POTUS must use to take the oath of office. No god needed, so why would or should a god be needed or desirable in any other oath involving the USA government?

What it says.....
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
From the Dictionary of English 1792.
Swear - 1. To obteft fome (call as witness) superior power to utter an oath. ... 4. To obteft The Great Name.

It's pretty clear what was meant at that time and now as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's fine but you have no say what others as individuals do.
As long as those "other" keep it in their homes and places of worship. Leave anything out of the public sphere. We are not interested in anyone's fairy tales of spooks and good guys.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
As long as those "other" keep it in their homes and places of worship. Leave anything out of the public sphere. We are not interested in anyone's fairy tales of spooks and good guys.
Keep it to yourself.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:44 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
why? Because atheists have guilt buried deep down inside. And because of it, everyone must abide by them.
If you truly are not offended you wouldn't care what people say in the oath. Not to mention, if you faith in no faith is that strong, nothing should be able to persuade you.
Or could it be that fundamentalist Christians feel threatened by the fact that some people in society don't believe like they do, hence their never-ending need to try to impose their faith on everyone via the state?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
why? Because atheists have guilt buried deep down inside. And because of it, everyone must abide by them.
If you truly are not offended you wouldn't care what people say in the oath. Not to mention, if you faith in no faith is that strong, nothing should be able to persuade you.
I'm a proud and strong atheist, and I can guaran-frigin-tee you I have no guilt buried inside. I know, as a humanist, that it is important to care for PEOPLE, and if I were to affirm that I will carry out my duties in an oath, I make that oath and promise to the same people.

I will, and have, refused to affirm any reference to a god in the past, and always, always will in the future. What frosts my butt is that people "assume" that you will parrot their words and hold their book while affirming anything. It always seems to get awkward for those that issue that oath when you advise them you will not use their props.

In case you have any doubt, and if you are Christian, you may be guided by the following:

James 5:12 "But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment.”

Conclusion: We don't need no god reference in any affirmation that we will carry out our public duties or provide the truth in a testimony.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Lightbulb a reference to God is removed from House oath

Way overdue.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:31 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Quote:

In case you have any doubt, and if you are Christian, you may be guided by the following:

James 5:12 "But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment.”

Conclusion: We don't need no god reference in any affirmation that we will carry out our public duties or provide the truth in a testimony.
Excellent post.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:26 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
So if you don't believe in Allah or Vishnu, you would be OK with so help you in the name of those would be just hunky dory with you? I mean, what is the difference? If "so help me Allah" means nothing to you because you don't believe in Allah, why would you object to that? Would you tell the truth or not?

If I were an atheist, (I'm agnostic) I'd swear in the name of any deity to you'd care to ask me to.

You might as well ask me to swear in the name of Micky Mouse or The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But even being agnostic, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the motivations of those who wish to conflate the Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of
religion with some imagined freedom from religion.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:55 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,765,641 times
Default Democrats to strike 'so help you God' from oath taken in front of key House committee

They certainly are the party of Satan!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...ouse-committee

Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Why? Because they don't believe in sky fairies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies