Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be term limits for the Supreme Court
yes 38 43.68%
no 49 56.32%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, but I wouldn't be opposed to age limits. I believe federal law requires federal employees to retire at age 70, and that is a good age to force retirement of Supreme Court justices.
If it came to that , I would probably argue for 75-80 . I know to many people around the age of 80 that are still of sound mind and body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
One can only imagine the hysteria that will come if Trump has to appoint a replacement. Do You think there should be term limits for SCOTUS ?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the call for term limits for Supreme Court Justices – Wise Silence
Will she be at the SOTU ?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ru...cid=spartanntp

Old 02-05-2019, 09:09 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
If it came to that , I would probably argue for 75-80 . I know to many people around the age of 80 that are still of sound mind and body.
I know people who are in their 90's who know more history, government, etc. than an entire class of college students.
Sure older folks are not as quick witted as they once were. However given time to contemplate issues, they are much more reasoned and dispassionate, thus making better judges.

`

Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Maybe a mandatory retirement age. Not term limits. I like the continuity provided by the lifetime appointment, so when a new party comes to power they can't sweep out all the old justices. It helps maintain at least a veneer of non-partisianship and long-term thinking.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Term limits are not going away.

It is time for this 6th (possibly more) RBG thread to be combined with all the others. There may be differing phony arguments proposed in the titles, but make no mistake, they all serve the same purpose, which is to try to diminish, denigrate and undermine a judge appointed by a Democrat.

This very sudden interest in RBG's health has its roots in the wicked far right and fringe lunatics' handlers. They have worked up the "useful idiots". Not sure what they actually think will be accomplished, other than illustrating the ugliness and hate and mean spiritedness they use to foment divisiveness.

As noted in all the previous threads here is the roadmap.

FYI at the end of January and in early February the conspiracy theorists and handlers of the fringe fanatics needed a new theme to promote :

Some Trump allies and tricksters thought it would be a clever and useful time to say Ruth Bader Ginsburg is hiding or dead. It Started on QAnon. She’s kept a low profile while recovering from cancer surgery. Some Right-wing meanies turned that against the liberal Supreme Court Justice.

Top figures in the pro-Trump media are claiming Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is hiding a secret illness or is even dead, elevating a bizarre new claim from the fringe QAnon conspiracy theorists.

About 2 weeks ago, former White House adviser Sebastian Gorka suggested on Twitter that Ginsburg, who has cancelled public appearances since undergoing surgery to remove cancerous lung growths in late December, might be hiding a medical condition. Pro-Trump internet characters are suggesting that Democrats are covering up Ginsburg’s near-death state. Some even claim that she’s already dead, but Democrats won’t admit it because they don’t want Trump to fill her seat.

“Q,” was one of the first to suggest that Ginsburg’s absences were part of a cover-up about her health. On January 5, Q claimed that Ginsburg was only being kept alive with illicit drugs.

Other right-wing personalities began actively pushing conspiracy theories about Ginsburg this month. Jacob Wohl a young Trump supporter and internet troll who attempted to smear Special Counsel Robert Mueller with a sex-assault hoax in November, claimed three weeks ago that Ginsburg would resign January 11.
When Ginsburg didn’t resign, Wohl pivoted to suggesting that she was secretly dead, and demanded video of Ginsburg doing a sudoku as proof-of-life. Wohl has also pushed an online petition to “impeach” Ginsburg, which has failed to meet its 5,000 signature goal.

On Twitter, the #WheresRuth hashtag was driven largely by conservative actor James Woods, who promotes conspiracy theories to his nearly 2 million Twitter followers. Woods tweeted the hashtag twice, racking up nearly 13,000 retweets each time.

Wayne Allyn Root, a conservative pundit who opened for Trump at a rally in 2018 compared Ginsburg’s absence to Weekend at Bernie’s, a 1989 movie in which two men prop up a corpse and dress it up with sunglasses so they can party longer.

Gorka and others claim that attendance at the State of the Union is mandatory for justices, and that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) delayed the address so Ginsburg wouldn’t have to attend.
In fact, though, Supreme Court justices are not required to attend the State of the Union address. Ginsburg and four other justices skipped Trump’s address last year. And we all know Speaker Pelosi delayed the State of the Union because of the Trump-instigated government shutdown, not as part of an elaborate cover-up to help Ginsburg.

Don't fall for this sick nonsense. I seriously can see no purpose to this crazy stuff as there is nothing to be accomplished. Just working up the useful idiots. Why?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
My thoughts:
-36 year term limit
-Each president gets to appoint one supreme court justice in the year after the midterm election (so like 2019, 2023, 2027, etc.)
-If Supreme Court justices die or retire before the end of their terms, the nomination must be made and approved by a committee of the party of the president who nominated them (so for RBG, it would have to be Democrat commitee), and this new Supreme Court justoce's term only lasts until the end of the justice who died or retired

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Term limits are not going away.

It is time for this 6th (possibly more) RBG thread to be combined with all the others. There may be differing phony arguments proposed in the titles, but make no mistake, they all serve the same purpose, which is to try to diminish, denigrate and undermine a judge appointed by a Democrat.

Don't fall for this sick nonsense. I seriously can see no purpose to this crazy stuff as there is nothing to be accomplished. Just working up the useful idiots. Why?
I created this post over a week ago. There is no intent to denigrate anyone here. The website and link's are factual. The fact that Democrats are calling for term limits and are upset at RBG for not retiring when Obama was in office is factual. Your insinuation that this is much about nothing is flawed. Both sides are on heightened alert as the article points out. Ginsburg is not exactly the picture of health , you can be sure the left is already be doing their due diligence on any dirty work they can pull out on any one on Trumps short list. The hearings to replace Ginsburg if it was to happen during the Trump Presidency will make the Kavanaugh hearing look like an example of decency and civility.

Last edited by silas777; 02-05-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
My thoughts:
-36 year term limit
-Each president gets to appoint one supreme court justice in the year after the midterm election (so like 2019, 2023, 2027, etc.)
-If Supreme Court justices die or retire before the end of their terms, the nomination must be made and approved by a committee of the party of the president who nominated them (so for RBG, it would have to be Democrat commitee), and this new Supreme Court justoce's term only lasts until the end of the justice who died or retired
That is not a bad posting. It's pretty obvious that something needs to be done to change the system for selecting new SC justices. It started with Bork and it's continued through every nomination made by a republican president since. Kavanagh barely got through. Of course the changes will have to come through constitutional amendment.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That is not a bad posting. It's pretty obvious that something needs to be done to change the system for selecting new SC justices. It started with Bork and it's continued through every nomination made by a republican president since. Kavanagh barely got through. Of course the changes will have to come through constitutional amendment.
I suspect if Trump does end up replacing Ginsburg the call for term limits will reach a fever pitch. As soon as a Democrat gets in it will go away.
I do not think it is out of the question that Trump would work with Dems on a pick.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Maybe a mandatory retirement age. Not term limits. I like the continuity provided by the lifetime appointment, so when a new party comes to power they can't sweep out all the old justices. It helps maintain at least a veneer of non-partisianship and long-term thinking.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies