Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not only that, but you give a liberal an inch and it will take a mile. Once paid leave to raise a baby gets in place, then they will demand paid leave to take care of sick grandma, or raise their sister's baby, or home-school their toddler.
I love the slippery slope argument, it always adds such credibility to the one making it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Be specific. Bet you're thinking of socialized stuff that you indirectly pay for in taxes. Name something where you pay a fixed amount directly to another party for a fixed service where you are ok with paying that amount and not getting that service.
Equal to giving money to someone standing on a island holding a begging sign.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Equal to giving money to someone standing on a island holding a begging sign.

Fail. You make the choice to give money to a beggar. You can choose not to. Will an employer be free to choose not to pay parental leave? Now the true counterpart would be you are mandated by law to give at least $5 to any beggar on the corner.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:59 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
I'm all for an employer who agrees to pay a salary and CHOOSES not to use the labor they paid for but they should have the right to insist upon and receive the services they paid for if that is their choice.
That wasn't what you asked, so I'll leave you to your logical fallacies and moving goal posts.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That wasn't what you asked, so I'll leave you to your logical fallacies and moving goal posts.

No goalposts have been moved, only your dismal reading comprehension.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You didn't ask to be specific, but OK.

I pay for a gym membership. I don't use the pool, the basketball court, the sauna, the men's locker room, or the free weights.

I pay for cable television. I don't watch 2/3 of the channels.

But here's an example that is more relative to the actual topic at hand: I shop at a privately-owned grocery store; my patronage contributes toward the grocery store's overhead, including parental leave for its employees. But I don't use the bakery, the baby products section, the cafe, or the delivery service.
and if MANDATED(fascism) for that private grocery, whose profit margin is probably 1% had to PAY people while not having PRODUCTION, that business would soon be OUT OF BUSINESS

I pay my mechanics very, very good money (around 30/hr) .. my business is based on manhours of labor to produce a service (of fixing trucks)... I can not afford to stay in business if I am paying an employe to sit in his/her arse, while not providing a service to my customers...no mechanics, no fix, customer goes else where

Last edited by workingclasshero; 01-31-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Fail. You make the choice to give money to a beggar. You can choose not to. Will an employer be free to choose not to pay parental leave? Now the true counterpart would be you are mandated by law to give at least $5 to any beggar on the corner.
Well, I'd be ok if I wanted to give to homeless, I'm not ok being forced to subsidize someone's vaca.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why can't this be left up to employers and employees, all of whom are in purely voluntary associations? Why exactly must a law be made to force people to behave a certain way, when the terms of how they were acting before were a) perfectly legal and b) purely voluntary?
Because if we were still doing it your way, slavery would still be legal as well as child labor, and the 90 hour workweek. Are you OK with 8 year olds laboring in sweatshops for pennies/hour? Laws exist for a reason: because people are cruel and inhumane without them.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, I'd be ok if I wanted to give to homeless, I'm not ok being forced to subsidize someone's vaca.
Vaca? Have you ever raised a newborn 24/7? I've never been so exhausted in my life.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I can't get behind this one. Having kids is a personal decision and an employer can't even plan around a bunch of women who may or may not end up having multiple kids. Much like the #metoo movement having unintended negative consequences for women, this may too.

Yes yes, I KNOW "other countries do it" but we aren't those countries WITH GOOD REASON, and I don't want to be. With every benefit comes a cost and I'd rather we lean towards maintaining independence than dive head first into a nanny state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies