Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This bill does not propose to teach religion but the bible in historical context. I dont see how the public school system could fudge that up any worse that say world history or American history.
Public schools already do this though. When I was in 7th grade world history we had an entire unit that covered the basics of the three Abrahamic faiths. We then had a more in depth study in 9th grade world history. My parents complained and pulled me out of the class because of the Islam unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Last I checked... separation of church and state... public schooling is a subsidiary of the state...
Last I checked... .gov wasn't pushing faith as unquestionable and end all be all... but man made global warming was.
Need I go on?
Because the science supports it and the public schools teach science. Whether or not your scriptures agree is irrelevant.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
not every conservative is a bible ruling person.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Public schools already do this though. When I was in 7th grade world history we had an entire unit that covered the basics of the three Abrahamic faiths. We then had a more in depth study in 9th grade world history. My parents complained and pulled me out of the class because of the Islam unit.
Public schools have different curriculums. Its been awhile since I was in school but my kids nor grand kids never had any type of religious studies not even in History classes. My grandson 10th grade said this year his school did offer a bible class. Apparently these schools or districts do not have any type religious study.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:14 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Wrong on this account. Apple's to oranges.

You tell me which one has been sanctioned from being in the class.

Religious practices.
Hyperbole disguised as science.

Last I checked... separation of church and state... public schooling is a subsidiary of the state...
Last I checked... .gov wasn't pushing faith as unquestionable and end all be all... but man made global warming was.
Need I go on?

But we can indoctrinate kids-teens to feel. And double down on it by regurgitating a hypothesis as settled science and as fact... so much for the scientific method.
Again I disagree, strongly disagree. Not wrong...

How is it not appropriate or consistent to point out the dichotomy between how you require the one criteria to "prove and test your theory" when it comes to Global Warming, for example, and not religion or the Bible?

Fact is, a great deal of time and effort has been devoted to proving that climate change is being impacted by man, as most scientists agree with your requirement along those lines. To the extent you may not be convinced about that proof, well that's another question, but most scientists see the evidence of man caused climate change as "beyond a reasonable doubt."

That criteria or burden of proof, however, is simply not in any way the same when it comes to religion and/or the Bible. In fact the criteria for belief -- faith -- is something else entirely, and why it's know as faith!

I could go on, but again, I'd like to simply strongly recommend you read this book, "A Brief History of Creation." I would be very interested to know your thoughts about this after doing so, because the book does a very good job of touching on this history of religion, history and even government, leading up to where we are today.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Frank... you're corresponding with someone who is for big government...
In big government there is NO competitiveness for a share of the market place. You and I know this. Most conservatives know this...

Rather drafted reasons for taxation and regulation to act as a double edged sword to protect one corporations interest by way of lobbyists.

There's a reason I can't bring to market vehicles to compete with Ford GM Mopar Honda Toyota Nissan Kia etc.

Same regulations that tend to smarts a little for those big corporations also protect them from me bringing to market affordable reliable simistic modes of transportation...
I've got to sign off now, but before I do...

Wrong again!

I have worked all my life in the private sector, and I did well doing so. I have worked and succeeded along the lines that most capitalists do, with an eye toward taking care of myself and my family regardless what system or circumstances I faced. I also benefitted from a public education that no doubt helped me with my later success with my career in business.

Toward the end of my career, I also worked in the private sector in the education field, and again I could go on, but all to say I'm not for "big government" or a "big company" or a "big classroom!"

I am for what makes the most sense, what works best, to achieve the desired goal whether personal or for all concerned, all Americans.

I could go on still, but we all know nobody is going to change their minds about anything here anyway, and I've really got to sign off and get on with something productive now. Maybe tomorrow...

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Wishful thinking? lol many of the alternatives listed already exist. And no people dont live in harmony, people dont share the same beliefs, people dont have the same values and people dont have the same ideas on what an education even is, so why dont you let people make their own choices. If you want your govt education, you can keep your govt education, just stop charging those who want out and let them go.

We have access choice in our schools for many Americans. I have access to several charter schools, public schools, and private schools. Problem is most of the Charter Schools are rated the same at the public schools so no benefit, and the private schools are $18,000-21,000+ per year - per student.

I am all for alternatives as long as their realistic, I have yet to see one fully fleshed out. They always forget education for disabled, those with learning deficits and those that come to school not to learn. Charter schools looked like an alternative early on but when they are no longer able to cherry pick the best students and get the "public schools" load, they haven't done any better in my area. Again I want an alternative but a cherry picking option already exist with private schools in the area, we need improvement across the board.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Because the science supports it and the public schools teach science. Whether or not your scriptures agree is irrelevant.
The science supports it? Really? They've tested this theory or just used it to enact further taxes?

Last I checked... it's a hypothesis

Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Who would get to decide which version of Christianity gets taught? There are some very diverse sects. I can only imagine the fights between the sects. We could sell tickets to watch.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've got to sign off now, but before I do...

Wrong again!

I have worked all my life in the private sector, and I did well doing so. I have worked and succeeded along the lines that most capitalists do, with an eye toward taking care of myself and my family regardless what system or circumstances I faced. I also benefitted from a public education that no doubt helped me with my later success with my career in business.

Toward the end of my career, I also worked in the private sector in the education field, and again I could go on, but all to say I'm not for "big government" or a "big company" or a "big classroom!"

I am for what makes the most sense, what works best, to achieve the desired goal whether personal or for all concerned, all Americans.

I could go on still, but we all know nobody is going to change their minds about anything here anyway, and I've really got to sign off and get on with something productive now. Maybe tomorrow...

Cheers!
LOL enters looking for debate. Like a pigeon craps on the chess board declares victory then retreats after trying to change the premise of debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies