Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I have Prime myself for about 6 years and it *had* degraded a bit. Prime always had 2-day delivery and, at first, it actually did deliver 2 days from when I hit my order button, consistently. That has slid a bit and now I will often have Prime items taking 5 days. It's not due to shipping slippages, but ordering issues. I think this has occurred as Amazon has expanded it's suppliers. If I order something that is carried by Amazon itself or Amazon "fulfillment" I will generally have it the next day or by Day 2. If I order something from any other Prime supplier, the clock doesn't start ticking for 2 day shipment until that seller fills the order. So what I though I might get in 2 days can take 2 weeks. Usually Amazon is somewhat clear on this before you submit the order, but sometimes not. The good news is that if I don't like the delivery date I get after I order, I can quickly cancel it.
That's not been my experience at all. We always get Prime shipments in two days. and that was true even when we lived in a small remote town in Arizona. And we buy a LOT from Amazon. Almost embarrassingly so.

You have to be careful when you order that you're actually getting Prime delivery. Items sold by affiliates often don't. But the ones that say "Prime" do in fact deliver in 2-days from my experience. Probably because they're actually fulfilled by Amazon. It's easy to avoid the affiliates all together if you're not having good luck with them. Just select items that say "sold and fulfilled by Amazon".

Hint: often times an item you select will show that it's from an affiliate. In those cases, you can click on the link for other-sellers, and there you will often find Amazon as a seller as well. That's probably to allow the affiliates to make some sales as well. However, my advice is to always select Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What are the benefits of Prime, other than swift delivery? I heard something about movies and streaming video. As I said, I don't shop on Amazon, someone gave me a gift card once and I found the site so confusing with too much information to sort through, I just gave up and passed it on to someone else. Does the membership fee make sense financially? One comment I got from an acquaintance is that he doesn't use Amazon enough to make the fee pay off. Another one said he'd been through all the content that he was interested in and as for the other movies and shows, there wasn't anything that he couldn't find somewhere else.
You can stream movies and stuff, a lot of it free, a lot got to pay like $3 or so. You also get a discount on select things at Whole Foods. Two day delivery, some things offer one day shipping either free or a dollar more. Free shipping on everything, not have to meet the $49 minimum, free returning. Some things only available for sale to Prime members.

It is not for everyone, but it is great for those who can take advantage of it (my wife for example, lol).

Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can stream movies and stuff, a lot of it free, a lot got to pay like $3 or so. You also get a discount on select things at Whole Foods. Two day delivery, some things offer one day shipping either free or a dollar more. Free shipping on everything, not have to meet the $49 minimum, free returning. Some things only available for sale to Prime members.

It is not for everyone, but it is great for those who can take advantage of it (my wife for example, lol).
I was just going to post about the WF discounts, I didn't know about that, I just found out about in this article that WF is hiking prices:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ary-tidal-wave

"Feb. 12, 2019 is a day that will live on in the annals of American industry. Because it's the day we finally learned - thanks to a repoert in the Wall Street Journal - that Jeff Bezos (and, presumably, his investors) tolerance for loss-making businesses does have its limits."

Shouldn't be a shocker to anyone, it's the hook 'em and hike 'em game. Bound to happen sooner or later.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM

989 posts, read 455,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I was just going to post about the WF discounts, I didn't know about that, I just found out about in this article that WF is hiking prices:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ary-tidal-wave

"Feb. 12, 2019 is a day that will live on in the annals of American industry. Because it's the day we finally learned - thanks to a repoert in the Wall Street Journal - that Jeff Bezos (and, presumably, his investors) tolerance for loss-making businesses does have its limits."

Shouldn't be a shocker to anyone, it's the hook 'em and hike 'em game. Bound to happen sooner or later.
Based on the article, it appears that all the stores carrying those specific brands will be doing the same increase (Target, Albertson's, etc). When a manufacturer raises its prices by 3% due to inflation and the cost of goods going up, I'm not sure I expect the corporations to eat that cost. It always goes to the consumer.

What I do remember about the Whole Foods/Amazon merger was that much of the house brand prices at Whole Foods was lowered. Many items had their prices lowered. It doesn't seem to be the same products as the ones that are about to increase. I also like that Prime Members get discounts. Not sure why the article paints that as a "bad thing." Most stores offers such incentives to card holders (Target, Kohl's for example).

Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Based on the article, it appears that all the stores carrying those specific brands will be doing the same increase (Target, Albertson's, etc). When a manufacturer raises its prices by 3% due to inflation and the cost of goods going up, I'm not sure I expect the corporations to eat that cost. It always goes to the consumer.

What I do remember about the Whole Foods/Amazon merger was that much of the house brand prices at Whole Foods was lowered. Many items had their prices lowered. It doesn't seem to be the same products as the ones that are about to increase. I also like that Prime Members get discounts. Not sure why the article paints that as a "bad thing." Most stores offers such incentives to card holders (Target, Kohl's for example).
I didn't get that the article painted the Prime Member discounts as a bad thing, to me it was just another perk of membership that I wasn't aware of, since we were discussing Prime advantages. Doesn't mean that much to me, since I don't shop at WF anyway. But for someone who does, it might make sense.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
I have Prime myself for about 6 years and it *had* degraded a bit. Prime always had 2-day delivery and, at first, it actually did deliver 2 days from when I hit my order button, consistently. That has slid a bit and now I will often have Prime items taking 5 days. It's not due to shipping slippages, but ordering issues. I think this has occurred as Amazon has expanded it's suppliers. If I order something that is carried by Amazon itself or Amazon "fulfillment" I will generally have it the next day or by Day 2. If I order something from any other Prime supplier, the clock doesn't start ticking for 2 day shipment until that seller fills the order. So what I though I might get in 2 days can take 2 weeks. Usually Amazon is somewhat clear on this before you submit the order, but sometimes not. The good news is that if I don't like the delivery date I get after I order, I can quickly cancel it.
If it's fulfilled by a third party, I don't even expect it in two days anymore. What's made me unhappy is when it's sold and fulfilled by Amazon and it's taking more than two days to arrive. That's happened quite a bit in the last 12 - 18 months and it's annoying given the price of Prime membership.

On the other hand, I've ordered some things at 7am and they've been delivered by 5pm. That's great, although a luxury. I just want the items in two days because that's what they keep pushing.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That's not been my experience at all. We always get Prime shipments in two days. and that was true even when we lived in a small remote town in Arizona. And we buy a LOT from Amazon. Almost embarrassingly so.

You have to be careful when you order that you're actually getting Prime delivery. Items sold by affiliates often don't. But the ones that say "Prime" do in fact deliver in 2-days from my experience. Probably because they're actually fulfilled by Amazon. It's easy to avoid the affiliates all together if you're not having good luck with them. Just select items that say "sold and fulfilled by Amazon".

Hint: often times an item you select will show that it's from an affiliate. In those cases, you can click on the link for other-sellers, and there you will often find Amazon as a seller as well. That's probably to allow the affiliates to make some sales as well. However, my advice is to always select Amazon.

Nope. I'm extremely careful about that and I've had several instances where it's marked Prime, says it will be there in two days and only after I've checked out do I see a later date. Or sometimes the date is two days out but it isn't delivered until day 3.

Maybe being in a Chicago suburb with Amazon fulfillment centers in the area are too remote for them to handle it the way they once did.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM

So I just got the request to stay on topic via DM. Anyone have anymore news on the "probe"? From all reports, looks like the brother did it and the investigation into that part of the issue has been concluded.

Next step is to see if there is any legal action to be taken, is what I understand. Anyone got any news on that? Did Preet B. have anything to say?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 PM

Lol, let me answer my own question. I just saw this:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...early-bankrupt

"In a report published Tuesday, Bloomberg revealed that AMI, the privately-owned publisher of the Equirer, is deeply in debt after a spree of acquisitions and several difficult years. Documents reportedly reviewed by BBG showed the tabloid had recorded a $31.5 million loss in the six months that ended Sept. 30. As of the beginning of October, AMI owed $203 million more than its assets were worth after racking up more than $250 million in losses over the last 5.5 fiscal years."

Some interesting stuff in there regarding Kashoggi, who (allegedly) worked for the Washpoo, and the Saudis, who may have had an interest in AMI. That's interesting, because I couldn't figure out why Bezos brought up the Saudis. Now it makes sense.

Pecker and AMI certainly wouldn't survive an onslaught from Bezos. But a Bezos-Saudi match-up would be a whole different matter. And very ugly, too.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Nope. I'm extremely careful about that and I've had several instances where it's marked Prime, says it will be there in two days and only after I've checked out do I see a later date. Or sometimes the date is two days out but it isn't delivered until day 3.

Maybe being in a Chicago suburb with Amazon fulfillment centers in the area are too remote for them to handle it the way they once did.
What do you mean that after you check out you see a later date. See it where? The same checkout screen that has the Place Order button also has the checkboxes for the different delivery dates. It tells you when to expect the package, and the amount you will be paying. It's immediately followed up by a confirmation email that confirms the amount and the delivery date. If you see something else than what was shown on your checkout screen, I would immediately either cancel the sale and start over or start a chat with a representative and raise holy hell. I personally have never seen that. The checkout screen is basically a contract and they'd be liable for fraud if they aren't giving you what you paid for.

As far as a 2-day delivery taking three days, where is the delay? Amazon sends you an email when the package ships along with a tracking number and delivery date so you can follow it along the route. You should be able to know exactly what's causing the delay. Most likely it's the shipping company's fault and you should report that to Amazon as well. They will often compensate you for your trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies