Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 01:16 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Because I'm curious as to how you think this "problem" will be solved, realistically. If you just want to scream about the injustice of it all into the wind, knock yourself out.

Based on his posts he doesn't care about that he just wants the option to completely opt out and not pay anything he wants us to pay for the kids if he gets a girl pregnant and she chooses to carry to term and deliver the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 01:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Very simple: making statutory abortion legal, within some kind of legal context. This is not some pie in the sky stuff, it's already been voted on before here in Europe and support is growing.
Voted on or passed? Which country?

I'm not sure if you are a US citizen or not, but it's highly unlikely this would fly in the red states of the US south that tout themselves as beacons of "Family Values".

Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
There should be more positive publicity for vasectomies. Clinics that freeze sperm could advertise.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
This is a very unlikely case but here is where a man could opt: If he is drunk/drugged and the woman rapes him to the point where she gets impregnated. Now, whether or not that man feels a moral obligation to care for the child is on him.
This thread is going to drag up a complex issue that millions cannot agree on. All my points below can be contested easily by people who do not agree with me.

A more likely event of your scenario is the reverse. A man rapes a woman and she gets pregnant. Should she be "allowed" to abort it? Yes but there are people who want to take away that option. Not all women want to do that. So we have single mothers who struggle to raise her child alone on a income 30% less than a man's for the same job.

Men should not be able to opt-out unless the mother agrees. But to be fair, women do in some cases reject these fathers who do want to be involved with their child.
Men should be more concerned with possible fatherhood each time they have sex. A brief conquest is no excuse for denial. Again there are two involved to make a baby.
Women shouldn't be expected to be the only ones responsible for birth control.
A sexually active male sowing oats can get a reversible vasectomy and prevent all kinds of strife.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Voted on or passed? Which country?

I'm not sure if you are a US citizen or not, but it's highly unlikely this would fly in the red states of the US south that tout themselves as beacons of "Family Values".
Times will change. A statutory abortion is a fairly new concept and one born from the reality of abortion itself. Now that abortion is fairly widespread, it has created an awareness for the need for statutory abortion and support is growing, at least in Europe. It won't be long before this is offered in some form or the other around the Western world.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Sure. A woman should be able to have an abortion & a man should be able to opt out, as long as that option is used early enough in the pregnancy for the woman to decide if she then wants to abort or keep the kid without the man being around.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree except a guarantee the child wont end up on public assistance. How can anyone guarantee that. I would say that is on any women choosing to have a child alone. You should not make that decision if you can not support that child.

I don't have that answer and that's my one big hangup with this idea. From a political standpoint, it's going to end up costing taxpayers more money. So while it might not be fair that the man can't opt out right now the same way women can, I think allowing him to opt out as things are now would create a bigger injustice for society as a whole (it would make those of us who literally had nothing at all to do with this pregnancy and child at all foot the bill though taxes).

The only other option would be to require the mother to have a certain income level before the father could back out. But that comes back to men choosing good partners in the first place (by good meaning you can trust the woman to use protection, not try to trick you into a pregnancy, and then you would have to add have a decent income to it). If you choose a good, trustworthy women, you are most likely not going to have this issue in the first place.

And I see I have a funny typo to correct now too in my previous post.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:31 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Times will change. A statutory abortion is a fairly new concept and one born from the reality of abortion itself. Now that abortion is fairly widespread, it has created an awareness for a statutory abortion and support is growing, at least in Europe. It won't be long before this is offered in some form or the other around the Western world.
In Europe? You mean there has been a debate in one country it's quite a stretch to assume it will even be passed in the country in question then spread to the rest of Europe then the USA. I can see it possibly passing in a country like Iceland not many other places other than perhaps some outlier countries in Scandinavia.

Regarding "It won't be long before this is offered in some form or the other around the Western World" This is wishful thinking at best.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default You can lead a gander to water

Quote:
Why does the man have to get a vasectomy? Why not the woman? Why don't we as a society force women who abort often to remove their uterus or get their tubes tied?

Seems like you have some morbid hatred of men.
Yah. Tubal ligation for a woman is major surgery, involving general anesthetic, OR, a hospital visit, some down time, & so on. Removing a uterus altogether? Not ethical to do that, TMK, it would be a permanent bar to having a child. (Unless biotechnology goes @ Warp 9 or something all of a sudden.)

For a man, it's an out-patient procedure, with generally a day's rest, I believe.

But I thought you'd like this option, since it allows the guy to bounce out once, or whatever number we settle on. No?

Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Times will change. A statutory abortion is a fairly new concept and one born from the reality of abortion itself. Now that abortion is fairly widespread, it has created an awareness for the need for statutory abortion and support is growing, at least in Europe. It won't be long before this is offered in some form or the other around the Western world.
Oh, okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies