Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider07 View Post
This is interesting. As a guy, I would never abandon my responsibilities. Not even a thought or question for me. However, what if in my younger days, I had gotten some young lady pregnant, and she did not want the baby, but I did. As the man, i would not have any say in the matter, she could legally have an abortion against my wishes, even if I was offering to take the baby and raise the child without any help from her or her family.

I find it funny that some people say men have no say over what a woman does with her body but he is the one on the hook for paying for the child, whether he wants it or not, if she decides to keep it, but has no say in whether the baby is kept or not.

I am not expert on abortion laws, so, if a couple is married, does it give the man more of a right to stop an abortion?
No. A woman does not need her husband's consent to have an abortion. He cannot force her to gestate and give birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,527,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Why can't a man morally say he doesn't want financially responsibility for the child? If the woman doesn't want the child anymore she can abort, a man has no such option. I think financial abortion is the moral solution albeit it won't work in practice.

It could work and we can apply technology to make it work better.
We can make sex a contract between parties. A standard contract passed by law spelling out all the details. All we would need is an app. on the smart phone. Thumbprints for a signature and it won't interrupt any romance taking place. Anyone can get that thumb on the phone faster than they can get the panties off.
Its 2019 people we can solve problems like never before, if we want too.
Lets do it for the kids !!!

Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,826,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Only if mothers have the same option to walk away and leave the child with the father. .
Women have the right to get an abortion. Men don't. Even men who have been raped by women have to pay child support. Raped women can get an abortion.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,321,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Ideally yes, but it would be hard to set up in practicality since that would require some legal document the man forfeited his rights while the mother is pregnant.
It's not rare. The man pays a lump sum instead of 18 years child support.

I know someone who did it and they sure didn't invent it.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,909,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Women have the right to get an abortion. Men don't. Even men who have been raped by women have to pay child support. Raped women can get an abortion.
Any man worried about being saddled with child support after a night of unprotected sex should mind their sperm better. I bet 90 percent of men never use birth control. Men should be a bit more particular with who they sleep with make sure your partner wants same thing your concerns will be few

Old 01-31-2019, 07:20 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,690,533 times
I saw this yesterday and have been thinking about it.

On one hand, it would be nice if I were in that situation to have an out. But on the other hand, it's really not that hard to not get someone pregnant. You either have to be woefully unlucky or woefully stupid. And how many people are really that unlucky?

If I were that woefully unlucky (because I am smart enough to use double protection and pick decent partners so in my case, it would have to be bad luck) it would be nice to have an out because women have an out too. It would be fair.

But to really keep it fair, I would say that a man would have to go though the same steps as a woman. If the state you are in requires counseling first, you need to get counseling. If the state you are in only has one abortion clinic, you have to figure out how to make it there with the woman to get the paperwork signed (requiring the woman to be there really does ensure she had the option too). If you are under age, your parents have to consent. And you have to do all this in a certain amount of time (in the first few weeks of pregnancy so that the woman really does have all the info and can opt out too). Of course, that would require you also really knowing your partner and trusting her. But again, that's not hard to do.

And of course, the flip side would be this could open the door to a man keeping the baby if he wants to as well. More rights for a father. A woman could do a "financial abortion" too if the father agrees to take and care for the baby. After the baby is born, she gives the baby to him and cuts all ties with the same kind of contract.

But as a tax payer who sees that most accidentally pregnancies are due to two people not using their brains or trying to game the system, I don't want to pay for some baby I didn't make. I would want some kind of guarantee that this baby won't end up on public assistance because the father or mother isn't supporting the baby. I really don't know how you could do that. But I think that's only fair to the rest of us. It's not our problem that two people didn't use adequate protection.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 AM

1,874 posts, read 809,884 times
are you people seriously retarded? DON'T HAVE SEX IF YOU ARE TOO STUPID, LAZY, OR WORTHLESS TO DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:53 AM

51,587 posts, read 25,515,803 times
Every state has its own laws and procedures, but voluntary relinquishment of parental rights is legal in all of them.

Typically, a judge will want to be sure that someone else is going to fulfill your parental responsibilities. Either the mother states she is willing and able, or she has a partner who is willing to adopt the child.

The courts may deny a request. For example, a divorcing parent trying to evade child support payments.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,711,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Only if mothers have the same option to walk away and leave the child with the father. Good for the goose good for the gander type deal.

Well she doesn't walk away, does she? She has the kid sucked in to a sink or has someone break it's neck and extract it from her womb piece by piece. As is her right under the law.

More to the point though, if a man were to be given this option then a woman should have the option to tell the father that she has no intention of raising the child and he can either take over all rights and responsibilities or she will kill it or give it away.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,711,926 times
"A man should keep his zipper closed."

***APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE!***

"A woman should keep her legs closed."

***HOW DARE YOU?!?! MISOGYNY! BURKAS!!!***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies