Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:27 PM

15,696 posts, read 9,434,088 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to which foreign you folks would have been OK with had President Obama met with them alone? Let's say Mr. Obama met with a foreign leaders with his own translator or anyone at all from his staff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM

19,944 posts, read 8,840,719 times
he told so many lies I wouldn't believe anything he said.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
he told so many lies I wouldn't believe anything he said.
Who are you talking about?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,110,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm curious as to which foreign you folks would have been OK with had President Obama met with them alone? Let's say Mr. Obama met with a foreign leaders with his own translator or anyone at all from his staff?
Probably, yes. I know Trumpers will think it's hypocritical, but we make judgments like this based on our knowledge of past actions. I think one has to keep in mind Trump's appalling record of unethical behavior in general, plus the rampant suspicion - not just here in this forum, but across the country and across the world - of something illicit going on with Russia.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:36 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,864,653 times
Quote:
Who are you talking about?
Trump apparently.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Probably, yes. I know Trumpers will think it's hypocritical, but we make judgments like this based on our knowledge of past actions. I think one has to keep in mind Trump's appalling record of unethical behavior in general, plus the rampant suspicion - not just here in this forum, but across the country and across the world - of something illicit going on with Russia.
Then which leader would you have been OK with Obama meeting then?

My opinion is that it is a very bad idea for any president to meet without a translator or their own staff with any foreign leader? It raises entirely too many questions and opens the preident -- whoever he or she may at that time -- to having that other leader make up anything that they want to say the president told them.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 PM

1,977 posts, read 741,405 times
Quote:
In my opinion we need context. Trump meets with many world leaders, does he have staff and interpreters in all world leader meetings? My guess would be no, but the media would never report that, it would ruin a good negative narrative.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:50 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,416,332 times
I wouldn't care who Obama met with.The 'foreign leader' can make up something regardless of whether the president has staff present or not.Unless all meetings are broadcast live in real time there is no way to prevent it.Any presidents staff is likely to side with the president over the 'foreign leader' and won't have anymore credibility than the president would.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
In my opinion we need context. Trump meets with many world leaders, does he have staff and interpreters in all world leader meetings? My guess would be no, but the media would never report that, it would ruin a good negative narrative.
Wouldn't Trump tweet out or Sarah Sanders report other times the president has met with other foreign leaders without staff or translators if it was happening? It seems very odd that no one would mention other times Trump has met with other leaders like thuis? Do you know other times other presidents have?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,721,955 times
I recall Obama meeting with Putin privately and according to Obama he told him he needed to stop doing whatever he was doing or there would be consequenc.............ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies