Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
My, oh my.

Trump supporters claiming that their opponents are “science deniers”.
^^^^This coming from someone who refuses to believe that we don't have unlimited potable water and buildable land.

How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? For example, India has over 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. I want better than that for my descendants. The question is --- why don't you want the same for yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I agree, but we're also the most innovative. We thrive through innovation and capitalism. We need to stop the left from hampering capitalism so we can overcome this phase through innovation.

I'm all for changing immigration policies, but it's not going to have a significant impact on environmental destruction. Our largest opportunity for this is for fixing our problems from within.
Hmmm....currently we allow into this country 1 million legal immigrants and untold numbers of illegal aliens on an annual basis.

It does, indeed, have "a significant impact on environment destruction". We are losing green space and farm land to housing developments. All those people do need places to live. Many will also need cars to get around. The more people, the more demand on our natural resources. Seriously, we don't have unlimited potable water and buildable land. Phoenix and Tucson rely on underground aquifers for their potable water. Some years back, the CBS Evening News had a story about that issue. Experts they talked to said no one knows how much water their is in those aquifers. Now, that's scary thought. Yet they keep building more and more housing in those areas. Talk about ignorant behavior!

Old 02-02-2019, 10:09 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^This coming from someone who refuses to believe that we don't have unlimited potable water and buildable land.

How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? For example, India has over 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. I want better than that for my descendants. The question is --- why don't you want the same for yours?
Hold this L

Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
14 pages in and still no one has answered my question, as always happens in these illegal immigration threads: from where will we get the water for all these people who mostly settle in the West and Southwest United States, places already running short on water? Who has a plan to deal with this looming environmental catastrophe?

Old 02-02-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I agree, but we're also the most innovative. We thrive through innovation and capitalism. We need to stop the left from hampering capitalism so we can overcome this phase through innovation.

I'm all for changing immigration policies, but it's not going to have a significant impact on environmental destruction. Our largest opportunity for this is for fixing our problems from within.
Er, these immigrants become part of the "within."

Your first part is the usual secular-humanist "Human beings will always invent/contrive solutions to the problems we create" fantasy. That always works until it doesn't. "Hey, we destroyed thousands of species, but in the future we'll just invent a way to bring them all back through DNA or something!" "Hey, the oceans are going to be ruined, but we'll just figure out a way to un-ruin them in the future!"

Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
14 pages in and still no one has answered my question, as always happens in these illegal immigration threads: from where will we get the water for all these people who mostly settle in the West and Southwest United States, places already running short on water? Who has a plan to deal with this looming environmental catastrophe?
William Shatner had the brilliant idea to appropriate the waters from the Columbia River. Epic fail. Washington and Oregon depend on the mighty Columbia for shipping, agriculture, recreation and our salmon. Besides, I believe that Canada has a treaty which would prevent this. A pipe dream.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...420-story.html

Old 02-02-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
William Shatner had the brilliant idea to appropriate the waters from the Columbia River. Epic fail. Washington and Oregon depend on the mighty Columbia for shipping, agriculture, recreation and our salmon. Besides, I believe that Canada has a treaty which would prevent this. A pipe dream.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...420-story.html
I am heartened at the thought of putting the fate of mankind in the hands of Captain Kirk. He did save the humpback whales that one time, right?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:02 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
I am heartened at the thought of putting the fate of mankind in the hands of Captain Kirk. He did save the humpback whales that one time, right?
No, but he will a few hundred years from now.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Yes, I remember. But, the real Captain Kirk was more pragmatic. And, he had Spock to steer him away from impractical follies.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
This isn't an illegal immigrant thread. It's about immigration in general and general environmental destruction in the United States.

Illegal immigration needs to be stopped. And it's not because of water concerns.

But general environmental destruction also needs to be slowed down. And that has little to do with immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies