Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,542,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
From what I understood, not really. Those guys are really well paid. Their starting pay isn’t good, but it goes up fast. And there are no shortage of candidates at ANY police academy. The pay, benefits and 20 year retirement always makes that line of work appealing.

On top of that, the world is full of wackjobs that are either natural bullies, authoritarians, or guys who GOT bullied that can’t wait to strap on a badge and gun and turn the tables.
Quote:
True. Nepotism would be more prevalent in a smaller department.

I’m still of the belief that most cops are well intentioned. I just refuse to believe that the bad cops are a small minority. That minority is a lot bigger than most people care to admit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Silence about the bad cops make the good cops complicit, and therefore, bad cops. That dynamic is what really stacks the deck against the average citizen.
A few things, particularly regarding the bold.

I absolutely agree. I think there is a certain type for whom the power and authority of police work is the main draw, as opposed to the intended mission of public protection. These people should not be cops. We have got to do a better job of screening these people out, and when they slip through and get hired anyway, removing them from the force swiftly and without hesitation. I think we also need to do more to help keep good cops from becoming too cynical and eventually burning out. No idea exactly what that would look like, but there must be some way to counteract the effects of dealing with violence and ugliness day after day - that has to be mentally and emotionally exhausting for even the hardiest and gentlest soul.

In addition, yeah, that "code of silence" as a form of honor has to end. Trust in fellow officers is necessary - it's hard to imagine anyone saying otherwise - but when that extends to protecting those who do harm, it's not so honorable anymore. How can we do a better job of encouraging cops to bond, not only with their brothers and sisters in blue, but with the communities they've made a commitment to serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A few things, particularly regarding the bold.

I absolutely agree. I think there is a certain type for whom the power and authority of police work is the main draw, as opposed to the intended mission of public protection. These people should not be cops. We have got to do a better job of screening these people out, and when they slip through and get hired anyway, removing them from the force swiftly and without hesitation. I think we also need to do more to help keep good cops from becoming too cynical and eventually burning out. No idea exactly what that would look like, but there must be some way to counteract the effects of dealing with violence and ugliness day after day - that has to be mentally and emotionally exhausting for even the hardiest and gentlest soul.

In addition, yeah, that "code of silence" as a form of honor has to end. Trust in fellow officers is necessary - it's hard to imagine anyone saying otherwise - but when that extends to protecting those who do harm, it's not so honorable anymore. How can we do a better job of encouraging cops to bond, not only with their brothers and sisters in blue, but with the communities they've made a commitment to serve?
All true.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,248,521 times
Your tax dollars at work.

What a moron.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,126,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Its a supervision thing. Most cops out there arent properly supervised. Also Im not going to assume the Chiefs are telling their patrolman that he wont tolerate abusing citizens. Its a combo of bad influence from trainer cops, and losing humanity by arresting the same kid 6 times in a row for the same thing.
Then theres the unions that return the cops to the jobs even when the Chiefs try to fire them. Ive read about a few of those. The unions dont care about citizens rights.
Once a cop is convicted the certification is revoked and cant be a cop again, but the revocations arent happening enough for the bad apples.

I went to party of a friend whos a cop in NY State, met one of his fellow officers there. He told me about a guy on the force that is abusing people in the ghetto part of town, giving the cops a bad name, and no matter how many people he told, nothing was being done, as if the guy is teflon. This guy was not happy.
The public has to complain to the city council for action to be taken much of the time.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:48 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,126,450 times
Quote:
Further evidence they should be subject to deep psychological testing on an annual basis by a third party who isn't part of the boys club.
Theres the kind of detail that needs further exploration.
I know what kind of interview questions to ask a person applying for a job.
What kind of trick questions do you ask a person applying to be a cop, that will expose him as being a psycho?
I wouldnt be surprised if the current screening process (for each department) as it stands doesnt actually properly evaluate applicants, and weed out the psychos.

I found this forum thread where people applying to be cops are trying to cheat the MMPI test (The psyche evaluation).
Apparently the MMPI is the standard, and the people in this forum failed it, lol. But this is 10 years ago, I hope they updated the test by now.
https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/fo...=1109032158/15

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 02-01-2019 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,490,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Theres the kind of detail that needs further exploration.
I know what kind of interview questions to ask a person applying for a job.
What kind of trick questions do you ask a person applying to be a cop, that will expose him as being a psycho?
I wouldnt be surprised if the current screening process (for each department) as it stands doesnt actually properly evaluate applicants, and weed out the psychos.
The current testing probably eliminates people who would choose doing the right thing over choosing loyalty to a large group.

I'm sure good psychological testing could uncover some biases, unhealthy mental states, emotional issues, etc., that could be used to screen out problematic candidates so they aren't hired.

I heard or read something by a former CIA agent recently who said agents are tested heavily and selected based on some rather shady findings. It was something like sociopaths scored well and were the ones they recruited. I wish I could remember the details because it was both fascinating and frightening.

I'm of the opinion that wearing a badge and carrying a gun attracts a lot of bullies or those who were bullied. In the former case it allows them to legally ramp it up and in the latter, it's payback time.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:55 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,248,521 times
Quote:
The current testing probably eliminates people who would choose doing the right thing over choosing loyalty to a large group.

I'm sure good psychological testing could uncover some biases, unhealthy mental states, emotional issues, etc., that could be used to screen out problematic candidates so they aren't hired.

I heard or read something by a former CIA agent recently who said agents are tested heavily and selected based on some rather shady findings. It was something like sociopaths scored well and were the ones they recruited. I wish I could remember the details because it was both fascinating and frightening.

I'm of the opinion that wearing a badge and carrying a gun attracts a lot of bullies or those who were bullied. In the former case it allows them to legally ramp it up and in the latter, it's payback time.
We are going to turn you into an anarchist yet.

Bad people may harm you so we must elect/put into positions of power people with special rights to stop the bad people from possibly harming us. We call these people cops and politicians.

So who would be attracted to such positions? Well, it stands to reason that bad people would so that they could do bad things and not only be above the law (get away with it) but also get rewarded for it.

Unless you're like me who got into criminal justice because I already knew the State was the biggest threat to my life and liberty therefore I wanted to "keep my friends close but my enemies closer". And I'm generally a freak of nature (as if you folks couldn't tell) so I doubt there are few folks who thought this way.

Even then I could never be a cop or a politician. You are directly violating the rights of others.

So you have three kinds of cops:

1. bad cops

2. cops that aren't bad on their own but cover/turn a blind eye for #1 which makes them just as bad

3. cops that aren't bad in their mens rea (intent) who don't cover for #1 or #2 but are still carrying out the orders of an immoral/illogical State.

#3 is the only kind of cop worth saving and they are few and far between. In all my years of doing criminal justice work I've known 2 maybe 3 cops who were #3s and couldn't take it anymore. You are part of a system that can't be morally or logically negotiated after awhile. It's too much.

People are people. I have a hard enough time being honest with my own b.s. to keep myself on the straight and narrow. Hopefully I've gained some wisdom/perspective over the years but you still don't want me in charge of your life or having special rights over you. And I sure as hell don't want anyone with that power over me.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:28 PM

37,940 posts, read 17,754,273 times
Quote:
So a Detroit police officer pulls a young lady over, and all of her documentation is out of date. Her fault obviously, but what happens next is bizarre.

The officer offers her a ride since it’s freezing outside, but she refuses and begins to walk away. Her prerogative, right? But then, the officer gets on Snapchat and begins to mock the lady with a video and messages like:

The video shows her walking away, one of the officers says she is doing the “walk of shame,” and stickers are added that read, “What black girl magic looks like” and “celebrating Black History Month.” It ended with an officer saying, “Bye, Felicia,” according to the Detroit Metro Times.

Okay, so the idiot will be disciplined for that bit of stupidity, but lemme tell ya, this guy is a real piece of work. Once I read this part of the story, I gotta wonder, HOW IN THE HELL is this guy still a cop?

WTH? Fired a gun next to his girlfriend’s HEAD?? And he’s still a cop?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0bdf0e7d974d0
Because too many people have the mentality that government is your friend and they shouldn't be questioned. It's about holding individuals accountable. It's always a fight.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 PM

77,854 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
So a Detroit police officer pulls a young lady over, and all of her documentation is out of date. Her fault obviously, but what happens next is bizarre.

The officer offers her a ride since it’s freezing outside, but she refuses and begins to walk away. Her prerogative, right? But then, the officer gets on Snapchat and begins to mock the lady with a video and messages like:

The video shows her walking away, one of the officers says she is doing the “walk of shame,” and stickers are added that read, “What black girl magic looks like” and “celebrating Black History Month.” It ended with an officer saying, “Bye, Felicia,” according to the Detroit Metro Times.

Okay, so the idiot will be disciplined for that bit of stupidity, but lemme tell ya, this guy is a real piece of work. Once I read this part of the story, I gotta wonder, HOW IN THE HELL is this guy still a cop?

WTH? Fired a gun next to his girlfriend’s HEAD?? And he’s still a cop?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0bdf0e7d974d0
Your answer can be found in the wisdom of Daffy Duck from about 60 years ago. Fast forward to about 1:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR35Lhla4A

Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 PM

6,528 posts, read 6,680,518 times
This guy is The definition of a "bad cop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies