Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:02 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,955,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I think there are limitations to the benefits of more immigration. At some point, we may end up loosing our national identity as original Americans are replaced at higher rates. Another baby boom would be a more favorable solution, along with reasonable immigration policies and a crackdown on the utilization of illegal labor.
Well, I am all for ALL foreign immigration crackdown!
I differ from the "Democrat and Republican" Establishment on that.

I am all for a Wall, Mandatory E-Verify Nationwide and ending H1B and H2B programs.
I would like to see the Chamber of Commerce that controls are government utterly destroyed!
Then we can negotiate. That is all part of Capitalism.
As it is right now, these cockroaches control our government!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Since we are not reproducing like the boomers, capitalism says, when the boomers die off, housing should become cheaper, wages should become higher due to supply and demand and incoming government taxes will also shrink as a result.

The problem is there are too many special interests in the pie.
Homeowners want their place to be an investment to cash out on rather than just a place to live.

I will bet my left nut that property taxes will be raised, lobbyists will storm DC for cheap foreign labor and make it into a national security issue, there will be more NIMBY policies enacted and the poor will be in the same boat they are now from these policies.
Since the 70’s more job functions have been eliminated by technology substitution/ industrial robotics than offshoring.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Sorry, but Healthcare and Insurance Costs should already be collapsing given how much the bottom half have suffered due to globalism.

You cannot have first world healthcare costs and workers dropping to second and third world wages.
The math simply does not work. Who is going to pay for it, the magic fairy?

We either pay increasing first world wages from the bottom on up, or we decrease costs from the cost of living.
Or reduce the standard of living to live within our means.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Since the 70’s more job functions have been eliminated by technology substitution/ industrial robotics than offshoring.
If this is the case, then we should work on automating high paid positions and end the gravy train for many at the top. This would actually be easier since most sit at their desk doing mental work rather than troubleshooting issues as techs on the production line.

We could also nationalize the companies since they no longer serve a useful purpose for employing workers.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:39 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,387,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The old people want to run up all the federal debt and leave the credit card bill to the next generation. Much of the debt Obama inherited was thanks to the recession and structural deficit created by his predecessor

Yet you ignore the debt and deficit Obama occurred. I surly would like some Quantitative Easing added to my bank account! Even twice!!!

Old 02-02-2019, 07:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Obviously. Republicans have been screwing younger folks for decades. Trump is just pushing on the gas pedal with these latest tax cuts and immigration rhetoric
So first it was the boomers and now it's the Republicans. Put as much energy into securing your future as you are in playing the blame game, and you won't have anything to worry about.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,645,152 times
Quote:
Without immigrants to replace workers, Medicare and ss will collapse.

Boomers aren't just happy enough to bankrupt it, they want to screw everyone else going forward.

They really are the most selfish generation
I'm a Boomer. When I was a teenager, politicians from my parents' and grandparents' generations took Social Security out of the dedicated fund and put it in the general fund, all the better to have more money to pay for the Vietnam War. It didn't seem like a good idea then. It's proven to have been a bad idea now. Yet younger generations want to blame us for decisions made by generations before us.

Many Boomers were and are being forced onto Social Security by younger generations refusing to hire them. How about if the larger number of Boomers going onto Social Security gets blamed onto the younger generations refusing to hire them? Sounds like a winner to me. It's your own fault.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Or reduce the standard of living to live within our means.
That is subjective.
I think many of the poor would love to reduce their standard of living if the cost of living was similar to India.

People say the poor in America are still in the top percent in wealth but that is nonsense if the wealth is not realized in India.

If you make 30,000 a year and pay 1500 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment in the USA, you can take that 30,000 a year and live like a king in India where a 3 bedroom apartment will cost you 250 a month. That does absolutely nothing if they live here.

Apples and Oranges

Old 02-02-2019, 07:59 PM

The problem is, there are way to many people in the country that want the profits that go with globalism and none of the costs that go with it.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 PM

39,070 posts, read 51,180,367 times
Boomers won't be gone in 20 years. Maybe from the workforce, but they will be eating at the public trough for at least a decade beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies