Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember we still have the concept of a right to privacy . . . . .
Apparently not with respect to our own money!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Medicaid does pay for abortions. I worked for a Medicaid HMO for almost 5 years and we reimbursed abortions using taxpayers money. Now, I don't know how many of these abortions were due to rape, incest, or the mother's life was in danger. I just pretend that these abortions happened because the mother's life was in danger and move on.

I hate this subject. I am against abortion but do see both sides of the issue. It's not easy on anyone, especially the mother. Thank God I don't have to decide on this touchy subject. I only hope women who are debating on whether to have one or not find peace with their decision and make sure they aren't in this situation again. I also hope nobody gives these women any grief. They've suffered enough.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Developmental Biology 8e Online: Images of Embryos Used by Anti-Abortion Activists
fetusperson.htm (http://www.abortion.org.au/whenhuman.htm - broken link)
What does an early abortion look like? (http://www.abortion.org.au/abortionpictures.htm - broken link)

ibcwife,
I have a piece of advice: Don't want an abortion, don't have one.
No one is forcing you to do something against your will.
Why would you propose to do so to others?
Abortion is not against the law in the US. As long as it is legal you are out-of-luck and women are free to make their own choices.

Your sensationalism detracts from any point you may want to make.

Planned Parenthood supports people from all walks of life, and in all income levels.
It is unfortunate that you choose to see only the small part of this organization that pushes your buttons so that you neglect to see all the good that they do.

How many late term abortions are performed in America? Got an answer?
It's around 1.4% after 20 weeks. FYI a fetus is not viable until after 27 weeks. In all probability it is less than 1% of all abortions performed; probably closer to 0.5%.

Late-term abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The facts probably aren't sufficiently inciting for you, but there they are.
I am going to disagree with your facts on this one, chielgirl....

The fact is that babies are viable as young as 21 weeks gestation.
There is no reason, none at all, for an abortion after the first trimester unless the woman is aborting a baby that has any type of abnormality she finds offensive. Anything from Downs to gross anatomical abnormalities to the wrong sex. And that is not right.
I am talking from experience......I was told at my level 2 ultrasound that the baby I was carrying was most likely down syndromed and was dying in utero. I was told that the baby would die at any time, or live till the due date, there was no telling. But if the baby lived thru labor, she would die bacause her lungs would not have developed.
So, did I run to pp? No. Was this a massive emotional bomb? Yes. When my daughter did die in utero, guess what? I felt it. I could feel her death throes. Ever see a fish out of water? Yes, just like that. I then had to go to L&D, and 20 hours later gave birth to my dead 'fetus'. She was 21 weeks gestation, and as it turns out was chromosonaly normal.
So, whats my point? My point is any abortion done after the first trimester is morally, ethically, and scientifically reprehensible, and the more fetal medicine develops the more unjustifiable it will become.
Period.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Rubbish, start to finish...
An appropriate remark from you, given that PP turns babies into rubbish.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
I don't see how this surprises anyone..at all.

Our government has always spent our tax money foolishly.

They spend billions each year on anti-smoking propaganda at the same time they're spending billions to subsidize tobacco farmers.

Retards.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
One of the individuals involved in this medical procedure can't speak.
Though it's safe to assume they can feel pain and terror.
Terror is something that requires contemplation based on logic and experience of life, something that fetuses lack. There is good evidence that most fetuses aren't even conscious during pregnancy. In 2005 Mellor and colleagues in the US showed evidence that the fetus is not conscious during most of the pregnancy. Just because parents plug in Mozart tapes for their fetus, doen't mean fetuses can hear or percieve pain. Up until 20-24 weeks of pregnancy the brain isn't even remotely "wired" to do much of anything beyond basic autonomic functions and reflexes- the foetus is for all purposes alive only in the sense that a tadpole is alive. You do know that an organism can react to noxious stimuli and pain without actually being conscious of it, right?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Terror is something that requires contemplation based on logic and experience of life, something that fetuses lack. There is good evidence that most fetuses aren't even conscious during pregnancy. In 2005 Mellor and colleagues in the US showed evidence that the fetus is not conscious during most of the pregnancy. Just because parents plug in Mozart tapes for their fetus, doen't mean fetuses can hear or percieve pain. Up until 20-24 weeks of pregnancy the brain isn't even remotely "wired" to do much of anything beyond basic autonomic functions and reflexes- the foetus is for all purposes alive only in the sense that a tadpole is alive. You do know that an organism can react to noxious stimuli and pain without actually being conscious of it, right?
What a dreadful post.

Go smother grandpa. He's asleep.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What a dreadful post.

Go smother grandpa. He's asleep.
Grandpa isn't living inside somebody's uterus sucking glucose out of their blood and dumping waste into their bloodstream. If he were, I'd say anybody would be within their rights to excise grandpa.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Grandpa isn't living inside somebody's uterus sucking glucose out of their blood and dumping waste into their bloodstream. If he were, I'd say anybody would be within their rights to excise grandpa.
Another nice thought.

This topic always brings out the best in some people.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Well, this has obviously turned into another contentious thread debating abortion ad infinitum.

The deal here is simply that abortion in the country is a monstrously controversial procedure. No matter what side you come down on, I think you have to admit that. It's just plain wrong for people (myself included in this group) who believe abortion is taking a life to be forced indirectly to support it with tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies