Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Tax dollars going for abortions is cheaper than the tax dollars unwanted children end up costing us all down the road.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
What happened to choice?
Fortunately, I am pro-choice, and always will be.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

And lets not forget.....when Roe v Wade first happend, contraceptives were not fool proof by any measure, and they were difficult to get to boot.
Now they aren't. They are everywhere and they are affordable. PP needs my tax dollars to shoot up a teen full of depo provera? Hey have at it! Abortion isn't the only option out there now to prevent a pregnancy. Not by a long shot.
Contraception is still not 100% prevention. And contraceptives can still be difficult to obtain. Have you ever lived in a community where the closest hospital is Catholic as is the pharmacy? Affordability is relative. Many of the women who seek abortions do so because they were raped or abused by the father. Should we discriminate against the poor who can't afford to terminate pregnancy? Wealthy people have always and will always be able to find quality medical care. Whatever your personal experiences have been, and they sound quite devastating, surely you can be compassionate of another woman who might make different choices than you?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Fortunately, I am pro-choice, and always will be.
So why not permit others the choice to adopt as they desire?

And I too would be interested in the addresses of these "many thousands of children in orphanages throughout the US."

Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Contraception is still not 100% prevention. And contraceptives can still be difficult to obtain. Have you ever lived in a community where the closest hospital is Catholic as is the pharmacy? Affordability is relative. Many of the women who seek abortions do so because they were raped or abused by the father. Should we discriminate against the poor who can't afford to terminate pregnancy? Wealthy people have always and will always be able to find quality medical care. Whatever your personal experiences have been, and they sound quite devastating, surely you can be compassionate of another woman who might make different choices than you?
Of course I can feel compassionate and even empathy for a woman seeking an abortion. The women I've known who have had abortions never walked away without regrets. What I am saying is that abortion is not as clean cut a solution as it may appear. PP would be serving women much better to be lowering the cost of contraceptives, perhaps having some kind of payment plan......I don't know. I do know that as an organization that is for womens reproductive rights they ought to be fighting to make abortion a rare choice to have to make, not a de facto one.
As far as rape and incest, as horrific as those cases must be....they are in actuality very rare. A more common abortion patient is going to be a woman in her twenties or thirties.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
What orphanages? Where? Give me an address.......
Child Welfare League of America: Child Welfare: Residential Group Care: About the Program: National Survey of Public and Private Residential Group Care Facilities and Their Capacities Outcomes

Take your pick.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
So why not permit others the choice to adopt as they desire?

And I too would be interested in the addresses of these "many thousands of children in orphanages throughout the US."
Who was forbidding it? When someone uses the word "could", it doesn't mean the same thing as "must".

Please refer to my response above for the rest.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Of course I can feel compassionate and even empathy for a woman seeking an abortion. The women I've known who have had abortions never walked away without regrets. What I am saying is that abortion is not as clean cut a solution as it may appear. PP would be serving women much better to be lowering the cost of contraceptives, perhaps having some kind of payment plan......I don't know. I do know that as an organization that is for womens reproductive rights they ought to be fighting to make abortion a rare choice to have to make, not a de facto one.
As far as rape and incest, as horrific as those cases must be....they are in actuality very rare. A more common abortion patient is going to be a woman in her twenties or thirties.
Gee, one might think the reason behind that may be that women older than that are past the age of fertility? Staggering, I know.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Why ask it from the government in the form of a medicaid payment? Because truly, if an abortion was medically necesary it would be performed by a gyn at a hospital or out patient surgerical center, not pp.
Many of the hospitals across the USA, and in particular serving more rural areas, are Catholic-affiliated. So even when the abortion is medically necessary it cannot be performed in the hospital. Many communities don't have out-patient surgical centers. Women have to travel to get the medical care they require. For poor women, this is an added burden, especially financially. The restrictions that have been placed on abortion and on the availability of contraception have a much deeper impact on the poor in this country than the rich. And these are the same families that are least able to afford additional children, especially a challenged child. It is offensive to think that poor women because of their status should be forced to have child after child in this country, while women with means are able to control their lives. Planned Parenthood at least gives some of these women some degree of control.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Did you read it? Those are not figures of children in orphanages who are available for adoption. You may be interested to read what the figures you quoted actually are for:
"Residential group care encompasses a broad array of services for children with pronounced special needs. Residential services are highly flexible and provide for varying lengths of stay, based on the client's needs. Length of stay may range from a short respite due to tense family situations, to long-term therapy for problems such as drug or alcohol addiction. Although long-term stays in family-like community-based group homes best serve some children's individual needs, residential group care is usually a temporary placement. Many children in residential care have emotional or physical conditions that require intensive, on-site therapy; others receive services from day treatment programs in their communities. Residential care programs are highly flexible and are designed to meet each child's individual needs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies